2008 CX-9 Brake Rotor replacement

3xv

I did a How-to with pictures on replacing the front rotors of an '08 CX-9 GT. It's saved as a word document. I can e-mail if someone is interested (RTM).

DSC_8606.jpg

DSC04922.jpg

DSC04923.jpg

The OEM rotors were shuddering bad (warped) so I replaced it instead of having it turned. :D. I'll give an update periodically on how these perform, after break-in of rotors and pads.

Last edited:
Update- The rotors and brake pads feel like they have been broken-in. I would estimate a 15% of increase in "bite" compared to the OEM set-up. A couple of intense braking from 75mph down to 15mph and there is no hint of "heat shudder" as I call it, from the OEM.

Installed rotors and pads at 18231mi and currently, mileage on vehicle is 18900. 669mi on the rotors and pads, and with regards to brake dust, no worse than OEM.

Reason for rotor replacement:

The OEM's were decent, however, the rotor warpage (confirmed by local mazda dealer, hence the reason for replacing rotors) were exacerbated when a couple of back to back brake applications from a higher speed increases the tendency of the rotors to shudder really bad. The shudder increased in a linear manner as the rotors built-up more heat as it was used.

I will update periodically of any other findings I might be able to share to members who have warped rotors, and were thinking of replacing it with aftermarket parts.

So far so good(rockon)

If you only had 18K miles why wouldn't mazda replace a warped rotor under the bumber to bumper warranty? I would have hounded them for at least a couple days to see if they would give in. That seems like a very little amount of mileage to be replacing rotors, unless somebody likes to ride the brakes, or you have trailered a fairly heavy object.

Brake warranty (rotors and pads) only covers 1yr/12K.
This is so for most brands if not all (except for BMW's free maintenance).

How are those slotted/drilled rotors working for you? Are you noticing more brake pulsation or noise from them? I have read on other forums that they handle different than standard ones!!!

The aftermarket rotors/pads have been working really well. No pulsation even after repeated deceleration from highway speeds and some "panic stops" thrown in. However, there is faint brake squeal when slowly decelerating from around 20mph to full stop. Braking confidence has increased. Vehicle mileage is just shy of 22000mi..

I am satisfied and would recommend these rotors and pads if the need arises for any one of you to replace the rotors in your car. I'll post pics of the rotors and pad wear (if perceptible) after I remove the wheels whilst cleaning the vehicle.

thanks for this, would love to have the .doc . Need to replace my front rotors and pads, 2mm left on them. Dealer wants $600 to do the job here in Canada....wow, figure I'll do it myself.
any recommendation for pad or rotor brands that would be a wise choice that are available at Napa or Canadian Tire?

thanks

Last edited:
I know that Centric Rotors for the front are $80 USD at tirerack.com. A dealer tried to sell me new OEM rotors for $110 USD a piece. New centric pads are like $40ish. Keep in mind the standard centric rotors are not drilled and slotted. They do make them, but tirerack does not sell them. Be careful when ordering replacement rotors, that is make sure the manufacturer part number matches what the site lists. I had this problem as several websites were selling the wrong part number for the CX-9 front rotors.

Lindyrect- I had a somewaht similar experience. Dealer quoted me $150 to turn the OEM rotors when I brought the car in for warranty for the suspension "click" and paint peel of the armrest trim.

The rotors I replaced the OEM with cost $215 shipped with free pads. I believe the difference of $65 is worth the increase in stopping power and confidence with the new brake setup.

I hope the centric rotors and new pads are working well for you. Kindly give us some feedback on your new brake setup.

Regards.

Wheel Removal for Detail

3xv wrote:
I'll post pics of the rotors and pad wear (if perceptible) after I remove the wheels whilst cleaning the vehicle.

3xv, your backing plates, struts etc. look amazingly well kept. Do you remove your wheels for every wash?

And if so, do you properly re-torque the wheels when re-installed.

I used to be real detail oriented when it came to detailing my cars, but you are super dedicated!

So far 5K into the front rotor replacement all is well. I used a centric ceramic brake pad btw. I will have to wait to give anymore feedback as my car is currently being shipped to Italy and I will have it in July. I did notice that the Centric rotors were beter quality than the originals. The originals seemed to be cast and did not have the same beefy look to the rotor wall separaters, but that is just my two cents.

Take a look at this page and see the difference between good and offshore rotors: http://www.centricparts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51&Itemid=85

3xv, your backing plates, struts etc. look amazingly well kept. Do you remove your wheels for every wash?

And if so, do you properly re-torque the wheels when re-installed.

I used to be real detail oriented when it came to detailing my cars, but you are super dedicated!

Mojoman-I do remove the wheels when I wash the vehicle. I put the jackstands underneath the car for support then wash away at the undercarriage. :D

After cleaning the undercarriage of the vehicle, I torque all the lugs to 90ft.lbs. then I start working on the body of the CX-9.

Wash and wax is all I do, and put some tire gel periodically. Not too much involved with my regimen, average of 2.5hrs. work time from start to finish. (thumb)

Lindyrect-I looked at the linked site you provided, and there are significant differences between centric and lower quality rotors in their photo comparison. It seems that there might have been some rotors installed in CX-9's that were prone to shuddering and squeal.

Enjoy your CX-9 and I bet there aren't a lot of those running around in Italy. (thumb).

You guys have a great weekend. :)

Regards.

Can you attach your install document to your first post? Just edit your post click on the "Go Advanced" button and then click on the Paperclip icon to upload your document to the website.

I would like to see the install.

Thanks
Joe

Back