2003 Protege5 - Check Engine Light Help

FusionGT

:
03 Grand Am GT /14 6 S
2003 Mazda Protege5
106,000 Miles
Automatic Transmission

Okay, so I'll do my best to describe this for everyone. On my way home from work, I had the cruise set at 70mph on the interstate. As I began to crest a hill, the car downshifted to speed up to the 70 and suddenly had a loss of power. I immediately shut off the cruise and looked down just as the check engine light began flashing. I attempted to give the car gas and it just sounded like it was bouncing off a rev limiter. I coasted at 60 all the way to the next exit [1.5 miles] and pulled off. I opened the hood, all fluids appeared to be fine. Checked the gas cap as well. By the time I had gotten off the exit, the check engine light was on and not flashing. After leaving the car off for a few minutes, I turned it back on and everything seemed to run fine.

I drove it 19 miles home, never going over 52mph. The car seemed to run fine the entire way home, no hiccups or anything. Does anyone have an idea what this could be? Thanks.

EDIT: I should also mention I plan on getting codes read tomorrow if possible.

Last edited:
You could have a lot of people guessing at what the problem is...
The best thing to do is have the code read to find out exactly what happened.
Even if your CEL is off, the codes are still in there until they are cleared.

sounds like you were misfiring for some reason. get the code checked, possible fixes if it is misfire are plugs, wires, coils.
id do coils first, they seem to go first in these cars

Okay, so got it checked out today and although I didn't get an actual code, he said it was considered "Multiple Random Misfires" He reset the C/E light and took it for a test drive, taking it over the phantom 60mph with no issue. Said it might have just been a slight glitch somewhere, but no idea otherwise.

I'm suspecting the coils are starting to go bad, so I'm assuming getting them replaced should be in my near future.

Back