2003 P5 1.6l air intake hose / Cold air intake

Vewdu

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Alright so my 03' P5's air intake hose cracked, and I've called around to different auto wreckers to try to get a replacement, but was essentially told I was as likely to find one that isnt cracked and taped up, as I am to find a unicorn. I've wanted to stick a cold air intake in my car for some time now, but I have the 1.6 version, instead of the 2.0, and everywhere ive looked, all I can find are 2.0 CAIs. Does anyone know if there is a company that makes one for the 1.6, or if the 2.0 will work for it? Or even possibly if there's another car that the CAI will fit and work for my 1.6?

Much appreciated!

If you have a protege5, you should have a 2.0 FS-DE engine in it. You can buy the tube brand new (Dorman makes them) from rock auto for like 20 bucks, or probably from a local parts house.

I looked at the protege faq, and apparently there were some P5's with 1.8L's .. but looks like no 1.6's... I could have sworn they were ALL 2.0's.

Last edited:
Alright, I'm a bit lost here... When I looked around online, all the 2.0's I'd seen, had a nicer looking valve cover than mine, and when I looked into it, I saw the Canadian market got a 1.8, and being at parts source a couple days ago when I got my code read out, they had said they had only a 1.6, and 2.0 for the Protege... I just looked up my vin, and it says it should have a 2.0 in it... Just did some looking around online, and it turns out I have a 2.0... I'm going to go sit in the corner now and think about how stupid I just was. Thanks for the input everyone.

All p5s had the 2.0 fsde except in other countries they got the higher compression fsze. The 2.0 replaced the 1.8 in 2001 when the mp3 came out. No protege has had a 1.8 since 2000.

99-00 only sedan was made 1.6 or 1.8 motor options

2001-2003 sedan 1.6 and 2.0 only offered, 2.0t for the speed

2002-2003 p5 2.0 only

Just some info for you guys

Mine cracked, too, and I used plenty of 2" wide vinyl tape (like electrician's tape, just wider) to fix it. Got something like 50K miles on it.

Back