2003 MSP KLZE Swap

EmceeGust

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
Hey everyone, just picked up my first Mazda the other day. It's a spicy MSP that needs a little work. It's got the beginnings of a KLZE swap in it but needs to be finished up. Since this is going to be my first swap I felt like it would be a good idea to document it and see if anyone could give me advice on problems I run into. In fact, I just encountered a problem with my side motor mounts. I got them in today but realized I don't have the bolts and brackets I thought I did. I searched for a few hours today and all I found were parts from the dealer which are going to cost about $220. Since I paid $220 for the mounts themselves I'd like to avoid spending that much on the bolts and brackets if at all possible. If anyone could give me advice, whether I could use bolts from home depot or something I'd appreciate the help. Thanks! WP_002888.jpgWP_002891.jpgWP_002894.jpg

there are a couple of people on here who have done a KL swap in their p5 and I believe one in a regular protege. Just search for engine swaps. I don't remember their names at the moment. It's actually a fairly common swap. Welcome to the forum by the way. Gave a few guys a heads up on this thread, so you should have some input pretty soon

Last edited:
I guess let me start with im sorry for what you have to work with. That swap looks rough at this point. Also, it is not a KLZE unless someone bolted a KLDE intake manifold onto a KLZE which I guess is possible. For the side mounts you just need the parts from a 2.0l 01-03 protege. So search local junkyards it will be cheapest. If you cannot find bolts then buy the highest grade from home depot, fastenal, etc.. You have a long ways to go if the wiring still needs to be done. I would spend some time researching the wiring before starting into that including buying the wiring diagrams for the protege and also the diagrams for the kl harness and ecu you choose. You might be better off just pulling the motor out, sorting everything out get the motor all prepped with new gaskets, plug wires, harness, ecu, etc...and then put it all back in and know what is done to it in the end.

Thanks for the responses. I'm not sure how but I guess I missed them. I've been pretty busy lately but I'm getting work done where I can. Finally found some mounts that will work and got the engine all mounted. I know, ideally I would have started from scratch but I just don't have the resources. I think the biggest issue is going to be the wiring. I have the diagrams for the protege but not for the probe. Yeah, sorry it is a KLDE. From what I've found, using both the probe and protege wiring harness only four wires will need to be spliced does that sound right? The injectors, sensors, ECU, and distributor.

going to be more than 4 wires, you have the two power wires for the injectors need key on power, two power for ecu( one constant 12v, one key on 12v), ground the fuel pump relay so it comes on with key on. Distributor needs power, starter signal wire. Then the grounds need to be made for the engine harness and ecu. Thats what i remember off the top of my head, its been 3 years since we completed the swap so its a little foggy.

Alright, thanks! I'm going to try to start on the wiring this weekend but where should I go for the probe wiring diagrams?

Alright, thanks sorry I haven't gotten around to checking this forum or really working on the car too much. As of now I've gotten the motor in place, belts are going on but I'm not quite sure what to do about the power steering. I'm really tempted to pull out the current reservoir and pump and just run the one alternator drive belt so I can just have it running. I've been considering the wiring and I might just try to hire someone to get it done. I'll post some pictures soon. Does anyone have advice on the power steering?? Thanks.

Oh yeah, if anyone happens to be in the Cincinnati area and has a little time I'd be willing to pay someone to help me out with this wiring

I DD my MSP with no power steering....it's not really that bad being a small/ fairly light car....I've never been in a point where I have said "I wish I had P/S" so If it was me, go no P/S...as for the wiring, what type of help are you needing....I work in Cincy, walnut hills (thomson macconnell cadillac)

Alright thanks. Wiring basically the whole deal haha. the original harness is partially in and thats about it. I really have no idea what to do with wiring.

i think i see the car for sale on the Cinci craigslist site- did you give up on it?

Back