2002 Protege Problems

Siko887

First off, I'm new here so thanks in advance to everybody who can lend a helping hand. My 2002 Mazda protege 2.0L is increasingly becoming a pain in my ass. It has very high kms (278000) so I assume that is to be expected. It has recently started pushing bluish white smoke out the tailpipe and is burning quite a lot of oil. Smoke seems to be worst at start up. In addition the idle has become extremely rough, almost to the point of stalling; actually on occasion it will stall at a red light. But once again usually when cold. Another problem I have been experiencing is when I'm coasting down a hill. Which I like to do to save fuel; very big hills where I live. The rpms will drop to 0, the battery light will flash then it will jump up to about 800 rpm. It will then immediatly happen again. Rpms drop battery light flashes then back up to 800 rpm. also check engine light is always on.

To me it sounds like egr valve, pcv valve and valve seals. Also the clutch has just about gone in it.

My question is. Is it worth trying to fix or should I just to an engine swap. Found the same engine with 170k for 750 bucks. I'm not a mechanic but my friend is he said it would be easier for me to just swap engines.

Also one more question what protege engines will just drop in without modification. Will any year 2.0L work? I heard they were all the same. Thanks again.

i say do the swap... i just dropped 1400.00 in my motor; new timing belt job turned into a top end rebuild... for that i could had bought a motor from japan and had it installed, but becuase of the situation i was in, i had no chioce. i wish i would have just got the swap though....

Having the cylinder hear reworked could be less expensive. Also, you may be right about the EGR valve but have it checked before buying one; they aren't cheap.

The mechanic near by wants 900 to restore the head to new. But If I do that usually the rings will blow within a few months because of the new found compression. I don't want to buy a used engine and have the same problems all over again. Homme said you can order engines from Japan for a reasonable price. Maybe that is my best option?

Get a regular fsde. If he's talking about the Jdm fsze it's more headache than its worth.

It would probly be better to get a newer motor once you do the rings the cylinder walls could be too worn out and you'll have to get oversized pistons and pay to have it bored

He can do a compression test to see what condition the rings are in. Do this BEFORE and head work is done. If compression is good at all cylinders, it may be okay to have the head work done.

Back