2002 needs new shocks, recommendations/tips?

mnkyboy

My 2002 needs new shocks badly. What parts need to be changes out with the shocks? (coil, struts, etc)

Is it something I can do at home (I usually work on my cars myself) or is it best for a mechanic to do it with special tools?

Do a search, there is a ton of posts on this subject. Other then that, toicko Blue struts are a great upgrade for the P5 and if you add some springs to that even better. Good Springs are eibach, H&R, and many others, like I said search, there was a post a few days ago about the most balanced spring strut combo.

for struts, you have four options:
(1) KYB GR2's - slightly less expensive than stock; a decent stock replacement, but not quite as good as stock.
(2) Stock - well, they would be stock.
(3) Tokico HP's (Blue's) - a decent performance upgrade from stock, works well with 80% of the performance springs available, too.
(4) Tokico Illumina's - a step up from the blue's, adding adjustability to the damping.

Replacing struts is pretty straight forward, but i suggest taking it to a shop if your car has any kind of rustyness. one thing i hate more than rust, and that working on a car with rust.

depending on how many miles on the car, consider replacing all the rubber bits on the struts and the front strut bearings at the least. at the most, and depending on your budget, you can replace everything attached to the struts.

if you really want a performance upgrade, you could consider some coilovers.

GR2's are $200 on ebay, that's the cheapest option. For an upgrade, Tokico HP's and ESpelirs got the most votes, when I asked, but Espelirs are $280 or so. So I paypalled on a used MSP strut/spring setup a couple days ago. It'll handle great, but will sag a bit in the back, maybe 1/4-1/2in.

if i was going to do struts and springs all over again, i would do illumina's and s-techs.

if i was going to go all out, i would get the AWR coil-overs (i think they are either bilsteins or konis...)

So if I just replace the struts with stock struts, do I need to buy new coils? Do they come with the new struts?

So if I just replace the struts with stock struts, do I need to buy new coils? Do they come with the new struts?

new springs are not included with the struts - the assemblies have to be disassembled and reassebled.

new springs are not included with the struts - the assemblies have to be disassembled and reassebled.

So are the springs normally replaced or are they reused?

I just called the local mechanic that I usually use whenever I cant work on my car, $400 to replace the front struts, $450 to replace the back. Since Im coming onto 100k miles, timing belt would be $759 (includes timing belt, drive belts, water pump seal, and other seals/gaskets). Pricey...

I just called the local mechanic that I usually use whenever I cant work on my car, $400 to replace the front struts, $450 to replace the back. Since Im coming onto 100k miles, timing belt would be $759 (includes timing belt, drive belts, water pump seal, and other seals/gaskets). Pricey...

stock springs can be reused. its RARE to wear out springs.

Damn...that is a lot. Is there anyone near you that could help, ie: friends, family, other forum members? I priced everything you would want to replace out on OMP and 4 OEM struts are $250, the other incidentals (spring seats, bumpers, spring insulators, strut bearings, strut mounts, dust shields) come out to $382. Factor in another $100 or so for new endlinks (should your current ones need to be cut off) and your total could go up another $400. Unless your mechanic has factored these other parts in? I am guessing though that the price he quoted you is for parts (struts) and labor.

The quote for the tb sounds about right. Does that also include the tensioners?

Back