2001 Protege Factory Radio No Power

First post here ... I have a issue and I worry that I broke my buddies cd player.

They had a mp3 player connection coming out of their head unit that didn't work. We decided today after having a few to pull out the cd player and see whats going on with the wiring. The head unit came out perfectly. No issues, just removed the trim used some keys and pulled it out. Found out that the mp3 connect was actually a fm transmitter that was spliced into the power (switched) and main ground. It also has a female from the antenna and male to the head unit for the antenna. We plugged it all back in and no power.

After doing so I got scared. We didn't disconnect the battery. We checked all fuses for the radio and anything supporting multiple circuits. They were all fine.

I then pulled out my multi meter. I checked power from constant power and the ground wires 12v. Then switched power, with the ignition in on, and the ground 12v.

The head unit doesn't have any lights or anything on the display. I do know what to do at this point. There is no fuse on the back of the head unit and I don't see see any wiring issues which I checked thoroughly. I even removed the fm transmitter. Please help me so I don't feel like I need to buy them a new radio...

You probably didn't push the wiring harness in completely. It's been known to happen after "having a few". Double check the fuses again too just to be safe.

Back