2.3turbo in a 4-door?

if i had the option, i'd have definitely gone with the hatch. having 2 doors may look cool, but whenever people have to sit in the back, its a major PITA. that wouldnt be a problem with the 3 coupe, but i honestly think that the coupe is pretty ugly from the back, plus the hatch has a ton of room in it. mazda was also able to pull off the 4 door hatch nicely, unlike the GTI, which i think looks bad in either form, but especially hideous in the 4 door.

i was in the market for a hot hatch to begin with, so the coupe option would have made no difference for me. although, if the coupe was the only option, you might see me rolling around in a cSRT4 or volvo c30 right about now.

I'm retarded for station wagons. I used to drool over the volvo T5R wagon in yellow with those big silly flat spoked wheels.

I was totally into that wagon too!

I was in the market for a small wagon when I stumbled upon my MS3.
I was shopping for a regular 3 wagon when I saw the ass of my future car sticking out of the row of Mazda 3's.
Bright red, blacked out windows, big wing and a large exhaust tip tipped me off that something was different about this one.

I'm single without kids and will always prefer a hatch. I don't understand the American aversion to hatchbacks in general, they are way (way) more utilitarian. I don't know what I'll buy after this car is dead, frankly. I'm going to be spoiled by this little hot hatch, it's going to make it hard to find a replacement that I'm happy with.

I'm single without kids and will always prefer a hatch. I don't understand the American aversion to hatchbacks in general, they are way (way) more utilitarian. I don't know what I'll buy after this car is dead, frankly. I'm going to be spoiled by this little hot hatch, it's going to make it hard to find a replacement that I'm happy with.

+1 on everything you just said, right down to the single w/o kids. i don't think i'll ever get as good a bargain on a new car again in my life.

i read somewhere that the hatch design is better for rallying? haha dunno if the ms3 could rally but i think thats the reason y they turned the sti into a hatch. some1 rally their ms3 hehe

i read somewhere that the hatch design is better for rallying? haha dunno if the ms3 could rally but i think thats the reason y they turned the sti into a hatch. some1 rally their ms3 hehe

there have been a lot of companies going hatch/short station wagon lately. mazda3, calibur, volvo, audi has an s4 in hatch version, subaru.

it must be the downsizing of suvs without losing too much of the room

there have been a lot of companies going hatch/short station wagon lately. mazda3, calibur, volvo, audi has an s4 in hatch version, subaru.

it must be the downsizing of suvs without losing too much of the room

i actually had an old guy ask me the other day what kind of car the ms3 was, and then asked if it was an SUV.

it is kinda like having a mini SUV tho... minus the 4wd, terrible gas mileage, and oh yea, it goes a little faster too (wiggle)

+eleventy bajillion. I know it's mostly bred out of necessity (narrow streets, expensive gas), but I wish we'd get the small, performance hatches on this side of the pond that the Europeans and Japanese enjoy. Especially a Renault Clio V6 Sport... mmm...

Only sheep place any stock in stigmas. Call it a hatch if it makes you feel better, but the Mazda3 5-door is a station wagon. Whenever someone asks what kind of car I drive, that's what I tell them. And if I need to schlep around 7 people, I'd happily buy a minivan and enjoy better gas mileage, more cargo space and a lower center of gravity than image-conscious SUV drivers.

I think the MS3 would be terrific for rallying if it had AWD. They didn't have to do any engine work on the MS3 rally car that's out there, it already has plenty of power.

And if I need to schlep around 7 people, I'd happily buy a minivan and enjoy better gas mileage, more cargo space and a lower center of gravity than image-conscious SUV drivers.

i never understood why the SUV's dominated the minivans like that. my parents have a chrysler town and country with a v6 that runs in the 3.2 to 3.8 litre displacement range. thing has been a champ, with like 150k miles on it. gets better mileage than most SUV's, has retarded amounts of room for cargo if you take all the back seats out, and we've even been able to tow a small utility trailer around with a yard of item 4 stone in it. theres really not much that van can't do that a midsize v6 SUV can that i can think of.

The worst thing is SUVs like the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ford Explorer that get 17mpg and don't hold any more people or much more cargo than a station wagon or 4-door hatchback.

don't know how many of you have seen "over the hedge" but that movie has the greatest dialog during this one scene where the raccoon was showing the other animals how humans lived. it played out like this...

"what is that?'
"that....is an SUV. humans ride around in it because they're slowing losing their ability to walk"
"jeez, it's so big. how many humans fit in there?"
"usually..........1"

would any of you have gotten the 4-door instead of the 5-door if they offered the turbo engine in it? my dad has never had a thing for hatchbacks, and always asks me if they had the speed3 option in the 4-door, cuz he would have rather had that.

personally, i like the hatchback better because i don't have to use the key to open the trunk, i can just use the remote to unlock it. this helps when you forget to hit the trunk release inside the car, get out to get something from the trunk, then realize that you left the keys in the ignition. just stupid little hassle.

but i do think the hatch has more of a blindspot than my old 4-door did

I have an MS6. Four doors and a trunk, remote opens them all.

Back