1st Gen vs 2nd Gen Mazdaspeed3

NZ_Mazda3

:
04 Mazda3 SP23 Hatch, Black Mica
So I took a new 2010 Mazda3 MPS (Mazdaspeed3) for a test drive on Friday & I have to say I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. Now I am not here to bag the MS3 as I currently own a 2006 MS3 & I love it but I don't think the new model lives up to the original.

Firstly there is the controversial exterior styling & I do have to admit that it does look better in the flesh. What everyone does seem to agree on is that it looks more aggressive. The drive however is a little more mundane & this is the irony. The 1st Gen MS3 looks 'plain' (no offense to us current owners) but anyone who owns or has driven one knows they are very aggressive to drive while the 2nd Gen looks aggressive but was more 'plain' to drive.

Everyone keeps saying that the car is more refined which is true but personally I found it 'too' refined and just not as fun to drive. The car is definitely quieter & smoother to drive but I found the clutch softer, the seats are not as comfortable or as hugging. I think the dealer said it best when he described it to me as being designed for a broader market.

There are quite a few cool new features/gadgets that I do like in the new model like the boost gauge, advanced keyless entry & the push button start (unfortunately we don't get the Bluetooth or SatNav options here). I did find that there were too many buttons & controls on the steering wheel and it has one deep dash!!

Overall I just wasn't inspired by the new model, at least not enough to pay to upgrade. I do think that if someone who had never driven the original MS3 took one for a test drive they would love it. Personally I made the decision not to upgrade within 5 minutes of being back in my car.

Now of course this is just my opinion but I just wanted to share my thoughts and to see what others who have driven one thought of it, especially any that currently own a MS3.

How did the handling and power feel? I wouldn't think it'd feel or actually be any quicker, but the handling should have been a bit different.

How did the handling and power feel? I wouldn't think it'd feel or actually be any quicker, but the handling should have been a bit different.

The handling did feel a bit better, cornering was more effortless & it seemed to take bumbs much smoother but this is probably due to the fact that I thought the suspension felt softer.

Powerwise, on paper they are suposed to be identical but I didn't feel it. This maybe to do with the handling, if the car handles much smoother then the power isn't going to feel as aggresive. I get the feeling this is what Mazda wanted, to give it a more wider appeal.

Maybe I just love my current MS3 too much!!

you'd be surprised how much quicker some smoother cars drive

the better cornering is what I like to hear.... the original ms3 had crappy handling compared to the MSP IMO

the better cornering is what I like to hear.... the original ms3 had crappy handling compared to the MSP IMO

Maybe, but it didn't feel as fast sitting in the hot seat, not that I am saying it was slow by any means. No doubt we will see some videos on YouTube soon with people comparing the two on the road.

I don't find the handling on the original too bad but we never got the MSP over here so I don't have much to compare against.

'10 ms3

Maybe, but it didn't feel as fast sitting in the hot seat, not that I am saying it was slow by any means. No doubt we will see some videos on YouTube soon with people comparing the two on the road.

I don't find the handling on the original too bad but we never got the MSP over here so I don't have much to compare against.

It seems you didn't feel the taller gears?

Before I bought my ms3, I test drove the '09 wrx twice and had similar experience. I thought the wrx had a smoother more comfortable ride vs
a ms3, but the ms3 felt a lot faster and had better handling.

If I wanted a smooth ride, I would of looked into a Camry. (yawn)

If I wanted a smooth ride, I would of looked into a Camry. (yawn)

I totally agree. 190kw in a hatchback is a lot of power & I would expect it to takes some concentration to drive. People that go on about the torque steer have never driven anything like a 1990 Toyota Starlet GT, this is a 1300 turbo (about 133bhp) in a 3 door hatchback almost half the size & weight (860kg) of a Mazda3!! Now that had torque steer.

Thanks for the write up. I had a feeling that was going to happen. mazda has their mazdaspeed line for the enthusiast that wants more of a fun car. then it becomes popular so the next model comes out for the general public in mind, more refined softer ride and feel, more gadgets, and a more exciting look. They just went away from the point of the mazdaspeed line.

In all fairness, a lot of cars had crappy handling compared to the MSP. But, with the right driver and a couple of quick tweaks to the suspension and the MS3 is right there, if not better.

Thanks for the write up. I had a feeling that was going to happen. mazda has their mazdaspeed line for the enthusiast that wants more of a fun car. then it becomes popular so the next model comes out for the general public in mind, more refined softer ride and feel, more gadgets, and a more exciting look. They just went away from the point of the mazdaspeed line.

Too true, very well said man.

ditto... I browsed through my local dealership and eyeballed the new MS3 as well... I didn't get to test drive it, but may go back this weekend. However, the styling just didn't spark with me - none of it! I don't like the rounded body, the tail lights, nor the headlights... Well, I did like the hood scoop. I thought it might look great on my 07 MS3.

the car seems too cute now... great look for college girls.

Back