1st gear jerking forward

I've noticed this about the mp5.....(this must apply to any proteges with the 2.0 litre and a 5 speed manual)

When i'm in first gear, moving slowly (like in a parking lot), a slight press on the accelerator sends the car jerking forward, like it wants to stall.

Do any of you experience this?

Mine has always been prone to that.... It even happens in second gear at slow speeds, you have to be very gentle with the accelerator to keep it smooth. In first I always find myself feathering the clutch, but i'm worried this is going to cause damage in the future. I don't think it's good to be driving around too much with the clutch only partially engaged, does anybody know for sure? How much damage am I causing by giving it gas without the clutch fully engaged? It seems like the only way to drive this car without it turning into a bucking bronco.

-Sp

riding the clutch halfway out will cause extra wear on it, which means youll be replacing it in a few years...I notice being gentle on the gas worsens the situation..you have to give it a good shot.

I find this somewhat annoying

yeah, this happens to me too. i feel like a dork, makes me look like i'm just learning how to drive a stick. but i've gotten better at dealing with it since i got the car (2 weeks ago).

someone posted a review of his P5 a few weeks ago, he noted this as an issue, saying it makes for tricky city driving. i can vouch for that... 80% of my driving is on city streets.

ottawaP5 said:
I notice being gentle on the gas worsens the situation..you have to give it a good shot.

I find this somewhat annoying

I agree, in first gear it's either gas or nothing. But in second I find it will buck if i'm heavy on the accelerator when moving slow in traffic, but if i'm very gentle it will accelerate smoothly.

whoa wait a sec are you telling me that this is not normal. The dealer told me it was normal for these cars. Hell even the service manager when he and I took it for a test drive said that the bucking was normal and it all started when it got cold. damit damit damit damit. I just freaking put my intake on. Now when I take it to the dealer he is going to give me some s*** because I just put my intake on there. I was just noticing it tonight because it has gotten cold again. Looks like I am going to have to throw the stock one back on and take it in. Oh well guess it's my damn luck again. I mean Iwas just getting ready to do a shitload of mods to my car when I get my tax refund and I find out about this. Hmm gonna have to check into a new clutch and flywheel maybe. Would go well with the other Mods i want to do being a short shifter and knob and boot. Boy do I feel like a dumbass again.

The TSB refers to cold clutch chatter.

I think what you are refering to is when the clutch is out and you hit the gas in first or second gear and the car seems to lurch. That has more to do with the soft engine mounts. I swapped out the front one for a urethane mount and the lurching disappeared.

a223818 said:
The TSB refers to cold clutch chatter.

I think what you are refering to is when the clutch is out and you hit the gas in first or second gear and the car seems to lurch. That has more to do with the soft engine mounts. I swapped out the front one for a urethane mount and the lurching disappeared.

That's exactly what it is, and because it tends to lurch at slow speeds with the clutch engaged, it forces me to ride the clutch more than I should (I am just a beginner at manual, about 1 month in). I've never really had a problem with engaging gears, just the lurch that happens at slow speeds when in gear.

How do you go about obtaining/installing these engine mounts?

:)

-Sp

your right its not clutch chatter, its the engine hesitating to go when the clutch is all the way out....hot or cold...i'm learning how to deal with it..if i'm coasting slowly i'll press the clutch in and go on momentum.

Same here......all of the above!
I've learnt to control it by using the clutch....more free wheeling helps, but yeah - it's embarassing in traffic!

I like the idea of the front mount - any ideas where I can get one, I'm sure there not too expensive.

Any one?

I find two things help to keep don the hurdy gurdy clutch. In first when I take off, I first give it a quick rev and then begin to let the clutch out while the revs are up a little. Any time I am in traffic, I just pop it into neutral most of the time, re - engauging the gears only as needed. The clutch is very strong, but in no way smooth, it likes gas because it likes to get going quick. Similar to my old preludes. Not a lot of clutch, but very effective in the working range.

?

This is my first car with a warranty, so I'm new to all the "TSB"s and what have you

Should I print out the linked page and take it to the dealer?
What will this do?

I also have that proglem. I feathered the clutch aswell. Then the clutch chatter began. the dealership upgraded it for me...after two stock ones didn't do the job.

I've also noticed in the last month that the clutch pedal seemed to be squeaking when I pressed it down, now it feels rougher when engaged, like there's some resistance. Has anybody noticed this? I'm going to be taking it in soon for the fan problem (it only blows when set to full power), so hopefully the dealer will be able to fix it!

-Sp

ottawaP5 said:
i'm learning how to deal with it..if i'm coasting slowly i'll press the clutch in and go on momentum.

That's exactly what i'm talking about, but is the excessive disengaging/reengaging of the clutch going to cause premature wear? That's what i'm worried about...

-Sp

disengaging/engaging the clutch will wear it a bit, just like taking off normally...that can't be helped.

What will ruin a clutch is if you leave the pedal half out and coast. If you fully engage/disengage it, there wont be any problems.

i HAD this problem. i took it into mazda for the 25,000km service and the jerking mysteriously disappeared.
nothing on the invoice and no mention about it from the service reps. mazda obviously knows it's a problem and they have a solution for it.

As far as i can tell 1st gear is used to take off from a dead stop and was not meant to be used to coast around.

When i give it a bit of gas, i notice the tach drops right down to nothing, then surges back up, like the moor was hesitating.

I also noticed this does not occur when the engine is cold, possibly because of a richer fuel mixture?

Back