1988 RX7 wont stay running

drivenapollo

:
2001 MIATA
I have checked the rx7 forum and didn't find anything. My friend has an rx7 and the day he bought it, one of the oil cooler lines blew open. He stopped the car, and had it towed to my shop. We told him what was wrong with his car. He needed an oil cooler and new lines. He went to the junk yard and got a factory cooler off a car with 98xxx miles on it. He ordered stainless steel lines to replace the stock ones, and came with all the fittings. When all done we started it and ran fine for about a min seconds. Oil pressure said 30psi, and then it just died. We pulled the ignition after we hooked everything up just to prime the whole system with oil. When you start it, it just dies right out. You can hit the gas right after it starts but doesn't do anything. We are gonna check the vacuum lines, and the intake. Make sure all the sensors are pluged in. If anyone has any ideas i would appreciate it greatly. If you want to come take a look at it. Let me know. Thanks in advance to everyone here!

sounds like possibly flooded the motor/fouled the plugs by disconnecting the ignition to prime the oil system

pull the plugs and check for fouling.

theres a lot of different preferred techniques for unflooding a rotary.

sounds a lot like what happened to us when we cleaned out our jammed 5+6 ports on the '87 track car, and had sprayed too much non flammable cleaner in thru said intake ports. we pulled the plugs and let em dry, and sprayed compressed air inside the plug holes to help evaporate the fuel (if you do it this way do it OUTSIDE and DO NOT DO NOT smoke or do it near any open flames!!!)

Last edited:
So they figured it out. They didn;t have the maf plugged in. Also they unhooked the battery, and when they plugged it back in it blew a fuse. So they some how broke the fuse box, and are buying a new one tomorrow. But it should all be fixed once that is done! Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back