180k miles Engine getting noisy

Kikk

:
03 P5
Just picked up an 02 P5. I love it! Maybe a Lil too much. Anyways I paid for the car before I actually saw and drove it and the miles were a little over the claimed numbers. The car and engine have no smoke or problems what so ever which is surprising. I will be doing timing belt water and oil pump on Friday my real question is.... What makes my engine continue to get noisier the more I drive? It sounds kind of "chattery" and idle is very weird. Not like the EGR valve issue but more just like a lopey cam? My goal is to make this a winter project... I can weld and machine anything so the only question I have is based on the described issues should I swap the v6 in or fix the 4 and pick up another junk yard 2.0 motor to completely rebuild over the winter and locate the current issues?

Sounds like someone added an adaptive to make a spun rod bearing quiet if its getting louder. Can you tell if its coming from the head or block? Any metal in oil?

It's coming from the head. An additive u mean? :s I'm guessin with that many miles I need to adjust lash, could that create that much noise tho? I'm goin to Change oil with my magnetic oil pan on Friday so ill let ya kno!

Thanks for quick reply

Our heads use shims. If a lifter is out of adjustment it can create a good bit of noise. I had mine confused for a rod bearing at first although after 3 years it did spin a rod bearing and then throw a rod through the block it really just sounded like the lifter tick got louder for about 2 weeks

Threw a rod thru the block eh? So the week spot is the rods n pistons. In that case maybe ill just do those now n rebuild the whole thing.

Weak spot is the rods technically but the pistons are not much better. I don't see the point of building the motor without boosting it though.

Back