17" vs 18" RPF1s

ChazSpeed

So I am thinking I would like to go the 17" RPF1s instead of 18s for a little bit more weight reduction, and also perhaps get a less stiff ride with the potholes around my house... I would still get a tire that has a super stiff sidewall so not sure that gives me too much better ride quality...

Anyway someone told me going from 18's to 17's will mess with the speedo. I assume that can be alleviated somewhat by getting bigger tires, but would like some feedback on that. I figure the bigger tires would also help ride quality, and eliminate some gap from the smaller wheel.

Would the bigger tire just add back the weight difference between the 17's and 18's though? If so I would probably just stick with the 18s....

I don't have any suspension work done so I am at stock height if that is any concern.

Thanks for any input!

Last edited:
if your going to drop your car then I would say run 17" cuz of the ride and bump absorbency factor. just my 2 cents

if your going to drop your car then I would say run 17" cuz of the ride and bump absorbency factor. just my 2 cents

Does the handling get mushier though? Or can that be aleviated with a super stiff sidewall (thus bring back some of the bumpiness)?

Good to know! On a side note, is there a noticeable difference in acceleration when going from a 24lb wheel to a 15.5lb wheel? According to some unsprung weight reduction calcs it should feel like dropping a ~160lb passenger from your car ;) but that could be BS

I like the look of the stockers, but want to see the results from lighter wheels and don't want to do it and then be disappointed by the lack of noticeable change ;)

17's for sure... but i think the bigger question to ask is what width.. and the answer is 9''.. if you do a search you will find out there is a difference between the look..going 9'' you get that nice concave, bigger lip and more flat spoke look.. alot of peeps are running 17x9 and they look great.. Some get away without running a 3-5mm spacer and some don't.

if your concerned about tire weight.. dont be.. tires don't vary like wheel weight..your talking 1-3lb difference between 17-18 including different tire width. Check out tirerack. Just pick a tire you know your interesting in and look up specs..

just look at the difference..http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2036484470102462224OWjuUH

Last edited:
Good to know! On a side note, is there a noticeable difference in acceleration when going from a 24lb wheel to a 15.5lb wheel? According to some unsprung weight reduction calcs it should feel like dropping a ~160lb passenger from your car ;) but that could be BS

I like the look of the stockers, but want to see the results from lighter wheels and don't want to do it and then be disappointed by the lack of noticeable change ;)

you will notice a HUGE difference going from a 24lb wheel down to a 17lb wheel. i have two sets of wheels for our mazda5 - summer and winter sets. the summer set is the stock 17's - with tires, they are about 48-50lbs each. the winter set is stock 16" protege wheels - with tires, they are about 36-38lbs each. with the lighter wheels, the car is noticibly peppier, doesnt ride as rough, and gets better gas milage.

anyone that tells you lighter wheels are a waste of money, never had lighter wheels. late model mazda wheels have gotton too heavy. (with the exception of the mx5 miata)

Back