$150 Catless DP worth it?

MarkOHaran

:
2008 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
I am checking out these dp's on ebay that are around 150 bucks. Has anyone installed one? I am not sure if I want to run catless... what are the pros and cons of catless or catted setups?

This has been discussed a bunch on another forum. People have had great luck with ebay downpipes. They give great results for a good price. Catted will let you pass emissions. Catless won't.

On the other forum, MSF, there were concerns expressed about the catted ebay using low a low flow cat that really caused problems.

The catless version is getting good support. So, if OP can go catless, it is a good performer for the price.

Only thing I would add is that if it is short term performance that you are interested in, this will perform well in the catless version. I do not expect it to hold up as well. It is China manufactured and the thickness of the pipe and the design and thickness of the bell-mouth is not up to American quality standards like Cobb and TurboXS.

Personally, I'd spend a bit more and get something like that in my sig - the TurboXS - design and quality is superb, fit and fit excellent. Very high quality flex joints in both the downpipe and testpipe sections. It will outlast the engine. Nice complete set of all types of adapters, gaskets, donuts, etc. so you can make sure it will attach properly to your CBE and any aftermarket CBE you might add later.

Last edited:
Cp-e, Cobb, Turbo XS are going to be your best quality pieces. If you wait and do some hunting you can find one used or on sale for a very competitive price. Never have been a fan of no-namers..

Just installed the same dp you are talking about. I bolted it on my stock catback. It was really smooth putting it on.. Now for taking off the stock dp... that's a different story. Plus I got $115 for both of the cats at the junk yard. It sounds amazing and it was a nice power gain.

But now I get fuel cut :/
Time for a tune..

Last edited:
Pro - Extra HP over catted DP of any kind.

Cons - EXCEPTIONALLY LOUD with any sort of exhaust other than stock.

I will smile to these.
20.creation.jpg

Back