12psi good enough

Myspeed12

:
mazdaspeed protege
My current Mods are upgraded SMIC, hardpipes, HKS BOV, TBE, MBC at 10psi and a DSM AFC...would it be safe to run 12psi or is the motor going to go out on me?

It's really hard to say with these cars. Some have blown up at stock boost 6psi just a few weeks out of the showroom floor others are at over 14psi with a lot of hard driven miles. I have been at around 8psi almost since I got the car and have ventured over the bad side of 14psi. I say if you can afford for something to go bad then play with the boost if you will be at a total loss if you kill it then don't mess with it.

to tell you the truth man it all depends on the tune. if your running the supermap i wouldent reccomend it but if your tuned for it you might be able to push it. me personally im nervous about going for 12 psi and i have custom fmic, tbe, dsm afc, thunder exhaust mani (will be installed this weekend), 626 single runner intake manifold (still to be installed). but its all up to you and how comfertable you feel with pushing the limits.

If its safety your looking for than stay were your at. An occasional visit to 12+ psi has not been a problem for me but I wouldn't push that as my daily boost.

I would say that the people that have run 12+ daily definitely replaced something shortly afterwards either the internals or lsd. The fun will not last forever that way.

My current Mods are upgraded SMIC, hardpipes, HKS BOV, TBE, MBC at 10psi and a DSM AFC...would it be safe to run 12psi or is the motor going to go out on me?
i dont see a less restrictive exaust.. or removed cats...

maybe do that before you up the boost?

i know i would.. and will

i dont see a less restrictive exaust.. or removed cats...

maybe do that before you up the boost?

i know i would.. and will

TBE means Turbo Back Exhaust so he does have a full exhaust.

My car was run for quite awhile at 13.5 psi before I owned it with nothing for ems and it finally decided enough was enought the day I bought it so I wouldn't push your luck. I have since added a few things including an AFC and now run at 8psi and 10psi when needed and seems to work just fine. I will be going forged pretty soon though and I dont want to find another block to use so 10psi is as high as I will be going until forged.

i have 51000 miles on my car. the first 20k i was at stock boost. the next 28k miles i was boosting about 7-8 psi. Also, i burned zero oil. I have had the boost cranked up to 12 psi for about 3k miles and im burning a good amount of oil now. FYI

Last edited:
i have 51000 miles on my car. the first 20k i was at stock boost. the next 38k miles i was boosting about 7-8 psi. Also, i burned zero oil. I have had the boost cranked up to 12 psi for about 3k miles and im burning a good amount of oil now. FYI

whats the link between 12 psi burning oil at 12 psi and not burning oil at 7-8 psi ?

could too much boost blow oil through somehow?

the way i see it, if you are asking online if it's safe or not then it's probably a good idea to keep the boost lower.

you should feel confident in what you are boosting with what you have done to the car. whether it be 6, 8, 10, or 12 PSI. you obviously know that the msp can blow at stock boost, under stock boost, and over stock boost, it all depends on the driver, conditions, and if it was build on friday :)

whats the link between 12 psi burning oil at 12 psi and not burning oil at 7-8 psi ?

could too much boost blow oil through somehow?

oil gets burned as turbo gets more hotter than before thats simple + more pressure to the engine makes it burn it even faster than before.
FYI letting the car to cool off after each drive is necessary to eliminate or minimize the oil burning , especially after a hard drive.

i don't have any oil burning yet but i've been boosting 8-9 psi(for ~15k) on just TBE + motor monts (poke)w/o MBC/EBC or FMIC or EMS- it just goes up there by it self but i do see a lot of hesitation as soon as i go on full boost.

you should feel confident in what you are boosting with what you have done to the car. whether it be 6, 8, 10, or 12 PSI. you obviously know that the msp can blow at stock boost, under stock boost, and over stock boost, it all depends on the driver, conditions, and if it was build on friday :)

sooo true.

i have 51000 miles on my car. the first 20k i was at stock boost. the next 38k miles i was boosting about 7-8 psi. Also, i burned zero oil. I have had the boost cranked up to 12 psi for about 3k miles and im burning a good amount of oil now. FYI

You're a little off on your math there.. lol

thanks for all the replies it really helped my decision on what I'm going to do, I'm going to get a custom tuned around my area at a shop at 10psi to get a little better performance and much safer air/fuel next wednesday.

ive ran my msp at 11 to 12 psi for a year with no problems t25 custom motormounts, fmic, hks bov,mbc,had the unichip piggyback sold it gonna get split second

I ran a mbc no problems, just a little bump in boost is fine. This isn't the greatest turbo so 12psi might be a bit out of it's range of efficiency. I have a t3 at 8psi that makes more power than the T25 at 12-14psi.

I ran a mbc no problems, just a little bump in boost is fine. This isn't the greatest turbo so 12psi might be a bit out of it's range of efficiency. I have a t3 at 8psi that makes more power than the T25 at 12-14psi.

Its actually 15psi based upon the calculations provided by garrett.

Back