Cai/bov/bpv

ctb2024

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
I don't have much desire to go BIG turbo, probably not even bigger than the stock t-25. But I do plan on upping the boost to at least 10-12psi (I know, watch internals)--

At what point do you feel a BPV/BOV is necessary? I figured if I swapped out the turbo, but then again what can our stock wastegate handle?

Any preferences on a good CAI/BOV setup/brand?

Your car already has a diaphragm-type bypass valve installed. You'll always need a valve of some sort. Many people on these boards like to relocate the MAF to the cold charge pipe so they can have their VTA "pssssh" sound. It isn't necessary to do this and is purely for aesthetics. Our MAF sensor was designed as a draw-through type and being as it's a $250+ part I'm reluctant to do anything to it that might shorten its lifespan in any way.

Personally, I went with the Forge bypass valve that they make for the Mazdaspeed Miata. It's a piston-type valve which is much better than the RX-7 valve that Mazda included with the car. It's 100% serviceable with just some high-temperature grease. I used two 45 degree silicone hoses to make it work. Coupled with the Turbohoses SRI the sound of the bypass valve when I push in the clutch is loud and noticeable.

The stock wastegate actuator is adjustable and s probaby set to about 6-8psi if it hasn't been touched. It's also a well-known point of failure on our cars. Mine went out a couple years ago and I replaced it with the ATP non-adjustable actuator (it's set around 7psi) since I already hit fuel cut on colder days with my bolt ons.

10-12psi on stock internals won't last very long, even with engine mangement. Stock connecting rods are weak weak weak. Save your money, build your motor, then turn up the boost. In the meantime, refresh or upgrade your brakes and suspension. I promise you'll be braking or turning far more than accellerating in a straight line. Your car is going on 13 years old and would probably appreciate some TLC there.

Good luck.

stick with a bypass valve. The stock one is fine as long as it is setup correctly. Another good option is the VW/Audi 1.8t bpv.

Your car already has a diaphragm-type bypass valve installed. You'll always need a valve of some sort. Many people on these boards like to relocate the MAF to the cold charge pipe so they can have their VTA "pssssh" sound. It isn't necessary to do this and is purely for aesthetics. Our MAF sensor was designed as a draw-through type and being as it's a $250+ part I'm reluctant to do anything to it that might shorten its lifespan in any way.

Personally, I went with the Forge bypass valve that they make for the Mazdaspeed Miata. It's a piston-type valve which is much better than the RX-7 valve that Mazda included with the car. It's 100% serviceable with just some high-temperature grease. I used two 45 degree silicone hoses to make it work. Coupled with the Turbohoses SRI the sound of the bypass valve when I push in the clutch is loud and noticeable.

The stock wastegate actuator is adjustable and s probaby set to about 6-8psi if it hasn't been touched. It's also a well-known point of failure on our cars. Mine went out a couple years ago and I replaced it with the ATP non-adjustable actuator (it's set around 7psi) since I already hit fuel cut on colder days with my bolt ons.

10-12psi on stock internals won't last very long, even with engine mangement. Stock connecting rods are weak weak weak. Save your money, build your motor, then turn up the boost. In the meantime, refresh or upgrade your brakes and suspension. I promise you'll be braking or turning far more than accellerating in a straight line. Your car is going on 13 years old and would probably appreciate some TLC there.

Good luck.

Do you have a pic of your bpv install? Where did you find yours?

You can run whatever you like, an aftermarket BOV will work fine even at stock boost. When it is VTA (vented to atmosphere) the turbo has to spool up again between shifts and lags a bit more but it's such a small turbo that the lag is not very noticeable.

Once the boost is increased, there needs to be a better vent option to prevent damage, correct?

Not necessarily, the stock valve is pretty small though and will force more boost pressure back into the turbo than an aftermarket BOV

So with a bypass valve the air the flows back into the intake pipe to the compressor wheel is not "re-measured" by the MAF correct? This air just continues going through the hot pipe, inlet, turbo inlet loop when you shift?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Yes since the BPV is after the MAF it recirculates the air, hence why the MAF has to be relocated when you install an aftermarket BOV and vent it to atmosphere. If you put a recirc fitting on the BOV back into the intake you can leave the MAF before the turbo.

Why then would someone install a BOV rather than a BPV, doesn't the BPV help spool the turbo?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

A recirculated BOV or BPV can help the turbo spool a little quicker but it isn't a huge difference either way

Back