#1289 - A story of rebirth

Nice, find a local to buy your stock bumper and you are golden. Even if it's got a broken tab a P5 or sedan guy would probably rock it.

Nice, find a local to buy your stock bumper and you are golden. Even if it's got a broken tab a P5 or sedan guy would probably rock it.

Its all cut on though, remember? lol I think I will try to fix it with fiberglass, and then go from there on selling it. Maybe keep it as a spare? IDK yet...

The new one showed up today. Before I go painting it, I am gonna use it to test fit my FMIC, since I am going to be doing a lot of pipe rerouting this weekend. Once I know I can get it on, without contact, I will get it painted and just rock the whole thing 03 MSP style, but without foglights, while I work on the lip.. I only worry that the little tab on the passenger headlight isn't gonna hold the new bumper either. I have the SAP brackets from hydra motorsports, but i haven't played with them yet.. I have been considering the "black" headlights. I think they look pretty good. Its would freshen up the front and give me a new bumper tab/hanger thingy

It's coming along though!

I got my bumper. I was thinking of cutting it up and fitting to the Tercel (rofl2)

What do you think? lol

(just kidding)

Its all cut on though, remember? lol I think I will try to fix it with fiberglass, and then go from there on selling it. Maybe keep it as a spare? IDK yet...

The new one showed up today. Before I go painting it, I am gonna use it to test fit my FMIC, since I am going to be doing a lot of pipe rerouting this weekend. Once I know I can get it on, without contact, I will get it painted and just rock the whole thing 03 MSP style, but without foglights, while I work on the lip.. I only worry that the little tab on the passenger headlight isn't gonna hold the new bumper either. I have the SAP brackets from hydra motorsports, but i haven't played with them yet.. I have been considering the "black" headlights. I think they look pretty good. Its would freshen up the front and give me a new bumper tab/hanger thingy

It's coming along though!

You cut the lip, not the bumper. The front lip just pulls off; and, as you can see, the bumper isn't very hard to find. The lip however is more challenging and much more expensive.

You cut the lip, not the bumper. The front lip just pulls off; and, as you can see, the bumper isn't very hard to find. The lip however is more challenging and much more expensive.

No I did. I did cut the bumper also. lol I hacked the living sh*t out of it.

There is actually a lot more of the bumper cut than it looks like, because I used the overhang of the lip to hide it. I f'ed it up really bad.. I admit.

So..... after all that hose buying and changing... I'm still not holding water. The radiator itself is leaking around one of the welds for one of the shroud mounting tabs.

I saved my fans but not my old rad.....

I'm not gonna say anything else about it right now.

(pissed)
(puke)

Last edited:
I've got a "high priority" service ticket. They better tell me something good. I don't just have their radiator.. I have their shroud and reservoir too.. so HOOK ME UP. Worst case, i still need to do my wheel stud, paint my calipers, and continue with the FMIC pipe rerouting.. so theres stuff for me to do.. but I wanted to drive it this weekend.

OKAY. I will say that mishimotos customer service is pretty good.. Its better if you STAY ON THEIR ASS. If you just file a ticket, its not taken really that quickly, but if you file a ticket, then harass them on the live chat, that will make sh*t happen.

I did have to provide and ENDLESS amount of info. Pics, receipts, full mod list, etc.. etc.. etc..

However, after working on this (and my regular work, at work.. lol) In about 2 hours I got them to verify the replacement is being shipped TODAY.

Except they charged me another $15 to ship it.

I wonder if I have to ship the defective one back, or if I am free to try to get it welded tight. I am guessing I have to send it back.

I hope it shows up on Saturday, but I am assuming next week. It is what it is I guess.

I wasn't sure about this thread at first but it's shaping up pretty well. Good on you for sticking with it, making things work, going back to fix things the right way, and acknowledging your mistakes. (cheers)

I'll definitely watch the progress on this one for sure! This MSP looks like it's in very good hands.

I wasn't sure about this thread at first but it's shaping up pretty well. Good on you for sticking with it, making things work, going back to fix things the right way, and acknowledging your mistakes. (cheers)

I'll definitely watch the progress on this one for sure! This MSP looks like it's in very good hands.

THANKS MAN! That means a lot.

But I know.. I started off whining like a little biotch. lol. I'm not proud of it, but it happened.. I edited out the completely unecessary stuff.

Just know, I bought it as a bday present for myself and drove it for 3 days before going down for 3 weeks. I was really pissed off at myself and a little scared it wasn't gonna run again.. First turbo, first mazda..

Quick update.. Engine bay pic.. before and after

05/20/15

Just now (07/10/15)

Last edited:
Yeah man.. My cousins getting married, so I'm gonna be in Lake Mary from 10/1 - 10/4. I really only have obligations to the wedding on Saturday, and I'm not bringing a date, so I figure I can do whatever I want Thursday and Friday night. (1st and 2nd)

came over from the mazda2 section, just read all these pages... man for the headache you started with, you really pulled it together. Looks great! Couple cosmetic things here and there, but agh who has the time/$ for that right away. Great progress. Will definitely be following this thread in the future.

came over from the mazda2 section, just read all these pages... man for the headache you started with, you really pulled it together. Looks great! Couple cosmetic things here and there, but agh who has the time/$ for that right away. Great progress. Will definitely be following this thread in the future.

Thanks man..

So I worked on it again today even though I don't have the radiator yet. I am taking my time and doing this pipe rerouting right. I don't want to revisit this again.

I really went out of my way to make this as clean as possible. THe I sprayed it with silver metallic so it wont rust

I cleaned this one wheel and sprayed the caliper. It came out really nice. I am gonna get some drilled and slotted rotors and address the brakes soon / next. It will really set it off in there. This picture is high quality enough you can really see the door dings and whatnut. I cannot wait to get rid of that thing.

What else..

New bumper is on the car to test fit intercooler piping. (Its sad looking)

Gotta do the clean/caliper paint on the other 3 wheels.

Looking into pricing a proper paint job on this new bumper

Didn't pull the trigger on the Eibachs.. I don't want the ass end lower than the front.. Might go with TEIN's... or B&G? I think thats the brand..

Found a local guy that will do tint for reasonable.. so waiting on the door for that

I believe this door will have the actuator in it. My rear drivers actuator is shot. I think I can rob the gear thingy out of one and use it on the other.

Hydra motorsports just finished a new run of gauge rings.. I ordered them weeks ago, so I should be seeing them soon.

Oh yeah.. I got those cowl bolt covers form Zealous.. the cowl ones fit, the windshield wiper ones dont. Oh well..

Thats about it for now...

Back