12,208 CX-5 Sales in USA for July.

I think the AA / Carplay aspect - would be a good source of additional sales. I personally dont mind not having it but the navigation is pretty good.
Folks waiting on new 3 / 26 hp additional on MX5 are going to hold out. Plus the aging drivetrain is in need for a rejuvenation.

Expected better from the 6. Looks like a slow month for everything but the CX-5.

The initial buzz on the 6 seems to have been short lived....

I wonder if people are now waiting for CarPlay to be installed before purchasing.

Honestly, that report highlights how important the CX-5 is. Consistent seller that is on track to sell ~160K in the USA alone. That is a increase of over 25%. Put in the 2.5T with all the signature goodies and they could get another 2-4K in sales per month.

I wonder if people are now waiting for CarPlay to be installed before purchasing.

Possibly. We will find out in the next few months when AA/ACP comes online in the 6

Honestly, that report highlights how important the CX-5 is. Consistent seller that is on track to sell ~160K in the USA alone. That is a increase of over 25%. Put in the 2.5T with all the signature goodies and they could get another 2-4K in sales per month.

(iagree)

The average person doesnt really want turbo or care. They care more about price point and fuel efficiency. For about $25k the touring model with 25/31/28 mpg does it for people. As much as 20 people on this forum care or other forums obviously the public doesnt care and the sales figures show that. Also the sedan market is shrinking to begin with.

No one is going to want to spend more money and get less fuel efficiency. Now if the the turbo was same price and slightly more mpg then its a no brainer.

Also the 6 while they added a turbo and new grill for the signature trim the rest of the car still looks like a 2014 model or whatever. They could have made it more sporty looking and enhanced the rear as that is what looks dated on it.

The average person doesn*t really want turbo or care. They care more about price point and fuel efficiency. For about $25k the touring model with 25/31/28 mpg does it for people. As much as 20 people on this forum care or other forums obviously the public doesn*t care and the sales figures show that. Also the sedan market is shrinking to begin with.

No one is going to want to spend more money and get less fuel efficiency. Now if the the turbo was same price and slightly more mpg then it*s a no brainer.

Also the 6 while they added a turbo and new grill for the signature trim the rest of the car still looks like a 2014 model or whatever. They could have made it more sporty looking and enhanced the rear as that is what looks dated on it.

Yeah but in the US isn't the GT the top selling CX-5 trim? If so it's because people want loads of features under a certain price point. <<< Said people are cross shopping entry luxury vehicles along with other cars in class/pricepoint. So whatever makes the GT trim a successful seller Mazda is keen on enhancing.

In other words the CX-5 GT cost the same or less than stripped down entry luxury cars. Mazda knows this and apparently so do consumers. The challenge is to stay ahead of the curve in terms of features/power/syling, ect. that makes the GT a competitive value.

Yeah but in the US isn't the GT the top selling CX-5 trim? If so it's because people want loads of features under a certain price point. <<< Said people are cross shopping entry luxury vehicles along with other cars in class/pricepoint. So whatever makes the GT trim a successful seller Mazda is keen on enhancing.

In other words the CX-5 GT cost the same or less than stripped down entry luxury cars. Mazda knows this and apparently so do consumers. The challenge is to stay ahead of the curve in terms of features/power/syling, ect. that makes the GT a competitive value.

Correct. A majority also choose AWD...

In July, I got a 2018 CX5 GT with the premium package. I don't need AWD living in Georgia. I think that the vehicle offers luxury and bells and whistles at a very reasonable price.

Some might not necessarily need,but they WANT... It is a FACT that 60.5% of CX sales in July were AWD equipped. You were in the minority with the 4 out of 10 that bought fail wheel drive models. Good for you,glad you like the vehicle,and I hope it treats you well...

Not that it matters either,but I*m slightly Northeast of you and don*t necessarily *need* AWD either,but I wouldn*t buy a CX model without it...In the majority as stated...

Last edited:
The average person doesn*t really want turbo or care. They care more about price point and fuel efficiency. For about $25k the touring model with 25/31/28 mpg does it for people. As much as 20 people on this forum care or other forums obviously the public doesn*t care and the sales figures show that. Also the sedan market is shrinking to begin with.

No one is going to want to spend more money and get less fuel efficiency. Now if the the turbo was same price and slightly more mpg then it*s a no brainer.

Pretty sure you are wrong on that front as the GT is the best selling trim of the CX-5 in the US. I think it's safe to say most CX-5 buyers are closer to the $30k-ish pricepoint. See CX-5um's post:

Last edited:
If I lived south of the Mason Dixon line there's no way I'd get AWD. Sure, 60% of people get it but I bet if you could see the #s geographically I bet it would be like 90% of us northerners do compared to 10% of southerners equaling out to the 60% number.

If I lived south of the Mason Dixon line there's no way I'd get AWD. Sure, 60% of people get it but I bet if you could see the #s geographically I bet it would be like 90% of us northerners do compared to 10% of southerners equaling out to the 60% number.

Enlighten us and find it then...

I*m far,way far actually,from the Mason Dixon line,and if you live an hour North of me,you*re most likely buying AWD. Guarantee you dealership inventory and sales show the same...

Exactly. Where I live, the winters are mild. Every few years, we may get a few days with snow and or ice here and there, but you're literally talking about two or three days. I just called a friend of mine who works at my local Mazda Dealership, and they don't have any CX5 vehicles with AWD right now, but they've sold 4 of them this week. (cheers2)

Back