11 months old - rust on hatch

Fleeecy

:
2014 CX-5 GT AWD
My DEC 2012-built 2014 CX-5 has developed a nice case of rusty acne on its rear hatch... (eek2)

2ij04n.jpg

59ypw1.jpg

There were maybe 8 or 9 spots like these all over the hatch. It was especially bad right behind the (dealer installed) plastic license plate frame.

Mazda Canada has authorized a repaint of the hatch to correct this. They kept the car for 2 days and returned it to me repainted, yes, but with a disabled keyless lock button (the one that's on the hatch, obviously) plus a bit of 3M film where the plastic horizontal Mazda-logo piece meets the metal body.

I've been told that mine is the third CX-5 to have its hatch repainted like this at this dealer. Some Mazda Japan engineers have visited the dealer to examine this problem, according to them

I've got mixed feelings about this.

Last edited:
That does not look good. I am glad that Mazda is taking care of you. Does Montreal use salt on the roads?

It must not be fully galvanized sheet metal, then. Where you live, if you get a chip in the paint and let road salt sit on it (especially if unwaxed, and if in and out of a heated garage?), this is the result with anything made of iron, unfortunately. When I lived in Michigan (most of my life), I compulsively touched-up every chip and kept a coat of wax on my cars to keep this kind of activity at bay (though not always successfully). Still, I wonder if this wasn't a bad batch of steel, somehow. - JP

I hope its a bad isolated case, I live in the same area, and bought mine in august 2013. (2014 MY).
So far nothing, but I will definitely keep an eye on this.

I noticed today that all the badges on the hatch are now too low and not at their original locations. Combined with the non-functioning keyless lock button, this makes the whole experience unsatisfying, to say the least.

Yes, there is salt on Montreal roads during winter months, and the whole car can be covered in salt for many days at a time, but this is my third Mazda and none of them have rusted like this in barely 11 months of ownership. Seems more like a bad batch of hatches, as this rust issue is absent from the rest of my car's body.

Next time you wash your car, look at the hatch closely, that's how I found out on mine...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope its a bad isolated case, I live in the same area, and bought mine in august 2013. (2014 MY).
So far nothing, but I will definitely keep an eye on this.

Mine was purchased in May 2013 in Mascouche QC, FYI... The dealer has been diligent in fixing the problem, apart from the issues with improper badging location and the keyless button that doesn't work anymore. Should be 100% fixed next week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is that larger bubble truly a rust bubble or water drop? My first thought was that it was rail dust embedded into the clear coat.

Would you mind sharing which dealership took care of you when you brought this to their attention? I'm also in the Montreal area (south shore to be more specific)

Is that larger bubble truly a rust bubble or water drop? My first thought was that it was rail dust embedded into the clear coat.

Would you mind sharing which dealership took care of you when you brought this to their attention? I'm also in the Montreal area (south shore to be more specific)

That was a rust bubble, the car was fully dry when I took the picture. There were even larger issues behind the license plate, where it meets/touches the paint.

Albi Mazda (Mascouche, QC, they are really well known around Montreal) filed the warranty claim with Mazda Canada and did the work. There is no color mismatch or other issue that I can see with the finished work, and they relocated the OEM badges to their proper location when I pointed it out to them. I'm satisfied.

My DEC 2013-built 2014 CX-5...
The thread subject says "11 months old", but if it was built in Dec 2013, then it could only be 8 months old. Is the quoted build date wrong, or the subject? (Or am I just really confused?) My reason for asking is to see if my own 2014 might have been built around the same time.

The thread subject says "11 months old", but if it was built in Dec 2013, then it could only be 8 months old. Is the quoted build date wrong, or the subject? (Or am I just really confused?) My reason for asking is to see if my own 2014 might have been built around the same time.

Dec 2012, sorry for the confusion.

I purchased the car in May 2013, and noticed the rust issue in April 2014.

Back