10% Ethanol Gas at Quicktrip

buttthrax

:
2K2 P5
When you fill up your car look on the pump for a sticker that says "Contains up to 10% ethanol". If you see this, I would recommend going to another station. The other day I was filling up at QT and I noticed it on the pump. This is the first time I have ever seen this in Georgia.

This was apparently just approved last month to be sold in the state of Georgia. I have researched and found this.:

http://oilspot2.dtnenergy.com/e_article001037392.cfm?x=b11,0,w

Monday, March 10, 2008

Following the lead of several other states in the Southeast, last week Georgia, implemented new fuel quality standards for gasoline that will allow for increased ethanol blending.

Until now the use of ethanol, specifically E10a blend of 10 percent ethanol and 90 percent gasoline, in Ga., and several states in the Southeast had been hampered by a lack of distribution infrastructure as well as state regulations for ethanol that failed to accommodate the changes in fuel properties that occur when it is added to finished gasoline.

This fuel made my P5 run like crap. It was particularly noticeable on start up, the motor had to turn over significantly more times than normal. When I filled up with some real gasoline, this no longer happened. I blame the QT gasoline.

I don't want ethanol in my P5 for a number of reasons.
-it makes the car run like garbage.
-it will also eat away at your fuel lines (cars made for ethanol have special fuel lines to prevent this).
-you get fewer miles/gallon.
-you get less power (motors made for alcohol have a higher fuel/air ratio. clearly my P5 isn't going to up the fuel/air ratio for this stuff)

Ethanol has a higher octane property and I believe they are mixing it with a lower octane gasoline (like 85 octane) to balance this out.

Thank you for reading my rant and don't buy this stuff.

My MSP worked just as well on the E-10 that Shell stations have been selling for a while as it always has on regular 93 octane gasoline.

Been around forever in our state..Its just fine to run...
Yes,.....Even on the boosted cars.

However...I do prefer 100% pure gasoline...but its hard to find here where I live.

My MSP worked just as well on the E-10 that Shell stations have been selling for a while as it always has on regular 93 octane gasoline.

There could be a difference between the 93 and the 87 (my experience was with 87). Could also be a difference with the quality of stuff at Shell vs QT

I swear my car ran worse on this stuff.

Its in your head man.....
It really is.

Unless by chance you got some bad gas...but I highly doubt it.

I didn't read you link...but 10% mix is not any better really.
E85 is now being used for high boost applications because it has a higher knock rating and also Burns cooler which helps keep pre-det down.

It also is cheaper to purchase as well.....But requires about 30% volume when compared to gasoline to produce the same powerand milage.

up here in Wisconsin the premium is almost always 93 and 100% gas, more expensive since no government discount like with the ethanol...

i always seem to get better gas mileage with 100% gasoline too!

Wow..I can't beleive you guys are just now seeing this...We have been running this stuff for years...and I do mean years.

Here is another possibility. When a station switches to the ethanol blend it can pump out water that has collected in the tank into your car.

This week, Shell began blending 10 percent ethanol into all of its grades of gasoline. Frequently, gasoline storage tanks may have a small amount of water at the very bottom. With ethanol, the water may suspend throughout the product showing an unacceptable high level of water contamination.

http://www.georgia.gov/00/article/0,2086,38902732_72602847_80092458,00.html

I think it is possible that since this QT just switched to the e10 blend that I could have gotten some crappy gas with water in it. This could have made my motor run worse.

Either way I'm never buying it again.

this is definatly all in your head....i would suggest taking some time out to preform a nice tune up on your vehicle.

10% ethanol (which as stated on the pay says it MAY contain UP TO) will not have that bad of an effect your fuel lines where it will cause them to rot on the lifespan of the vehicle.

Also any change in fuel of any significance will get tuned out by the ECU once it gets to the O2 sensor and corrects itsself which anybody who has ever installed a piggyback system onto a protege can tell you.

And lastly the 10% ethanol is going to impart such a small effect on your gas milage you would see AT MOST a 1mpg change if that. My gas milage has not moved a tick since this and i still got 500 miles to a tank when i went to jacksonville last month.

I'd hazard a guess that it was just crappy gas...I was putting QT in the speed and noticed my gas mileage was getting worse and the car wasn't feeling the same...switched over to Shell and BP and was back up to my normal numbers and the car was back to normal.

up here in Wisconsin the premium is almost always 93 and 100% gas, more expensive since no government discount like with the ethanol...

i always seem to get better gas mileage with 100% gasoline too!

In southern Wisconsin, you can't get anything but the 10% blend. I know it's required in Milwaukee, and it's everywhere in Madison as well.

I have been running the E-10 crap here in MD for a few years now...the only time i noticed a difference between that and real gas was when i hit up sunoco for some 100octane haha. E-10 will not make a noticable difference in how the car runs unless you get some bad gas..now E-85 is another story my F-150 was setup to run that s*** and it sucked! it took my normal 12mpg down to about 9mpg and the knock sensor on my Edge Evo went off all the time in the upper rpm's because of it haha.

i dont know ive never had problems with QT they sell top teir gas along with Shell and BP we dont have QT down here in columbus but back home in missouri its been around for a long time.

I have been running the E-10 crap here in MD for a few years now...the only time i noticed a difference between that and real gas was when i hit up sunoco for some 100octane haha. E-10 will not make a noticable difference in how the car runs unless you get some bad gas..now E-85 is another story my F-150 was setup to run that s*** and it sucked! it took my normal 12mpg down to about 9mpg and the knock sensor on my Edge Evo went off all the time in the upper rpm's because of it haha.
Did you read my previous post....Your milage did exacty what it was supposed to.
E85 does not produce the same power or Milage per gallon and is also a lot cheaper per gallon.
And your knock sensor was likely going off because you did not tune for E85 which requires apprx. 30% more fuel for the same power level.

Its not plug and play with that stuff..there are some changes that have to be made.

Seems like all the gas stations around here have that sticker on the pumps except BP.

BPs real gas was $3.359. Racetrac/QT/Shell's E10 bulls*** gas is $3.299. So the real gas costs about 1.8% more. I think the difference in gas mileage is more than a 1.8% difference.

yee-haw!

Last edited:
been running it for years now in the speed (thats all there is in delaware).

there is no difference running your vehicle on E10. Alot of times its not even 10% and the reality is its not truely enough ethanol to produce a noticable difference.

Youre fine, just like everyone else said - you probably received bad gas.

If your car was running bad due to E10 - mine would too (and many others) - but this isnt the case.

Back