09 Mazda 5 How to Fog Light on with park light

Yes. But without a wiring diagram, it's kinda hard to show. If someone could share a diagram for the '08+ Mz5 then I could show you how to do it very clearly. The manual I have is for the '05, and according to it, the fog lights are powered with the tails.

I investigated the operation of the fog lights when I was going to hook them up as DRLs. The fog relay has 2 legs for the coil, 1 of which is has power supplied from the low beam relay, and the other from the switch on the stalk via the BCM.

The modification required is to extend 3 of the 4 of the legs of the fog relay. Take some male and female blade connectors and solder 1 of each onto both ends of a short solid wire piece just enought to raise the relay up to bring a wire off the lower left leg (from the front facing the fuse block) and keep that leg from contacting it's female couterpart in the block. This disconnects the power switched leg from the low beam circuit and gives you control of where to power it from. Reroute this leg to the tail (10A) fuse (then again, if that is still wired the same as the manual I have shows) and connect with some type of fuse tap. That's all there is to it.

If any of that makes sense, great. If not, I'll try and explain it better.

The fog relay is what you have to change control of. If you can wait a time, I'll do this for my DRLs and give you some pictures. Won't be until next weekend though.

Yes. But without a wiring diagram, it's kinda hard to show. If someone could share a diagram for the '08+ Mz5 then I could show you how to do it very clearly. The manual I have is for the '05, and according to it, the fog lights are powered with the tails.

I investigated the operation of the fog lights when I was going to hook them up as DRLs. The fog relay has 2 legs for the coil, 1 of which is has power supplied from the low beam relay, and the other from the switch on the stalk via the BCM.

The modification required is to extend 3 of the 4 of the legs of the fog relay. Take some male and female blade connectors and solder 1 of each onto both ends of a short solid wire piece just enought to raise the relay up to bring a wire off the lower left leg (from the front facing the fuse block) and keep that leg from contacting it's female couterpart in the block. This disconnects the power switched leg from the low beam circuit and gives you control of where to power it from. Reroute this leg to the tail (10A) fuse (then again, if that is still wired the same as the manual I have shows) and connect with some type of fuse tap. That's all there is to it.

If any of that makes sense, great. If not, I'll try and explain it better.
Wouldn't it be easier to cut the fog light rely trigger wire coming from the low beam and tap the parking light wire (close to fuse box) as the trigger? Cut one wire, tape off end and tap the other to another wire. If you want the Fogs to act as DRL lights, tap fog rely trigger to the DRL +12V source.

Picture of the wire and a brief discussion found in post #12 http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123783596-Is-it-me-or-do-the-fog-lights-not-work-well. Not exactly a step by step but not hard to figure out.

It sounds like there is a how-to out there on the web or this forum, if not I would assume in the Mz3 forum.

Kudos to flcrusing for undertaking the how-to request.

If you like. I'm not so keen on cutting up my stock wiring harness. The method I explain would be easier to understand with a picture.

It basically lifts the fog relay up out of it's socket, extends 3 of the legs back into the socket, but disconnects the power leg from it allowing you to reroute it so another source.

If you're ok with hacking up the wires below, be my guest, it's your vehicle.

I was going to do this this past weekend, but picked up the wrong pack of blade connectors. The relay has (2) 1/4" and (2) 3/16" connections. I will head back to Radio Shack and exchange for what's needed and do a write-up of it as mentioned.

Latest posts

Back