08 ms3 cold air intake check enginge light help

whaam pshh

:
2008 mazdaspeed3 sport
i have installed a cold air intake in my 2008 mazdaspeed3 and my check engine light came on.i got it reset and it came back on.what do i need to do to fix this?the code is p2187 and i had the dealer reset it and they said its because i'm running too lean

Check your purge valve. If you can blow through it, get it replaced.....if it's not that may need to replace the o2 sensor.

Don't try a tuning option until you figure out why you are getting that code. You have a problem and need to get it fixed. Your code is a lean idle code that you apparantly did not have before installing this intake. You need to fix this problem before adding any more mods, IMHO.

What kind of intake did you install? Does it have an air straightener inside it and is it installed correctly? Did you buy it new or used. If used, is anything damaged or missing? Did you check to make sure that you do not have any leaks, especially between your MAF sensor and your turbo inlet pipe? What other mods do you have on the car now?

I would not go trying to solve a lean engine problem associated with an intake change by adding a remapping of your ECU on top of that.

Don't try a tuning option until you figure out why you are getting that code. You have a problem and need to get it fixed. Your code is a lean idle code that you apparantly did not have before installing this intake. You need to fix this problem before adding any more mods, IMHO.

What kind of intake did you install? Does it have an air straightener inside it and is it installed correctly? Did you buy it new or used. If used, is anything damaged or missing? Did you check to make sure that you do not have any leaks, especially between your MAF sensor and your turbo inlet pipe? What other mods do you have on the car now?

I would not go trying to solve a lean engine problem associated with an intake change by adding a remapping of your ECU on top of that.

air straightener, or rather lack of one, was my first thought.

im not sure what brand it is it was in my trunk when i bought the car..i think its just a no name brand or something...and i dont have an air straightener in the intake but i took the cai off and put the stock airbox back in and the code went away so...i called a mazda deallership and asked one of their techs and he said its probaly a vacume leak somewhere..and as of right now no other mods sitting stock ive only had the car a couple months

Sounds logical. But if it went away by going back stock, you probably do not have a vacuum leak. You probably had turbulence in the air flow across the MAF sensor in the MAF housing of that intake. That's what an air straightener is designed to fix. If the intake tubing is curved between the filter and the MAF housing, turbulence in induced and can produce that "lean at idle" code.

Try to figure out what brand of intake you have. Maybe post some pix and let us look at it? Once that is established, we can tell you if it was supposed to have the straightener and maybe where you can buy one. What you experienced was exactly what Mazda encountered with they first started selling their rebranded AEM CAI back in 2007-2008 when the MS3 first came out. AEM was selling their CAI with the air straightener, but the Mazaspeed version did not have it. Mazda ended up pulling that version off the market and then re-introducing it with an air straightener in the kit. Problem solved.

Maybe take a pix or two and post them for us? We can try to help you. You don't need to stay with the stock air box. Any good aftermarket intake, SRI or CAI makes a huge (20 whp/ 20 lb. tq) power gain.

ya that's what i was trying to explain to the tech at mazda is if it goes away when i put the stock box back in i prob dont have a leak but thats what he insisted on..but ya i will post sum pics of the intake later today and see if you may be able to help me figure this out

IMAG0847.jpg

Looks like an eBay kit to me!!!

it does, doesn't it. I'll bet that the lack of air straightener is causing your problems. my recommendation is to dump that thing and get a good short ram intake; used Cobb, CP-e, etc...

ya i think thats what im gonna do then..thanks for the help...but on another topic is there anyway to shut off the traction control in the 2008ms3?

Back