02 626 FSDE Swap

Dugg E Fresh

Contributor
:
03.5 Titanium MSP #1451
Can anybody tell me for sure if I can use the head and cams from a 626 FSDE? I have read in a couple places that the cams are the same as our MSP. I have also read I have to change out the cams, cam gears, and crank pulley. I do not want to use the original cylinder head from the MSP because some exhaust bolt threads are stripped and there is actually a bolt broken off in one of them.
Also, why the crank pulley?
Sorry if this has been directly answered in a different thread, I have searched and searched but have not found a direct answer. If these cams and cam gears definitely will not work with the ECU, I may have found the problem on why this thing won't fire.

I have only lurked this site for the past year plus while this thing sat in storage. It was just too depressing to see without it, I love this ****** car. And now I'm so close to having it back.
Thanks guys.

You can use a bolt extractor to get out the broken bolts. I bought a kit from Harbor Freight to get mine out for just a couple bucks. You drill a small hole into the bolt, then use the reverse threaded extractor bits which will sink in counter clockwise to spin out the broken bolts. Worked like a charm. Just keep the drill bit lubed as you are drilling through the bolt so it doesn't get too hot.

Also, you can use a helicoil to fix any stripped holes. I haven't used one yet, but I've done a little research after I managed to strip one of my exhaust bolt holes trying to force in a new stud after removing one that had threadlocker on it. In retrospect, what I did was incredibly stupid, but live and learn. I only stripped the last 1/4 of the threads and it is holding tight, but if it comes lose again, I'll do the helicoil trick.

I just warpped the head on my P5t and I had to go searching for another because there wasnt enough material to straighten it out.

So i picked up a 626 head from a recycle yard, and after inspecting and comparing it should be a direct swap, both head have the FS9 stamp next to the coolant block on the driver side of the head, so I am assuming that it went through the same updates as oppose to and fs2 or fs6.

Same motor same head. Not sure if the cams are the same spec but you could still use them. Not sure about the crank pulley, but I can't see how it would be a factor unless it was a different size. Cam gears are the same

Last edited:
Well, we pulled the cam gears off and they are different. Cams are the same and stayed with the same crank pulley. Fired right up. Might be off by a tooth on the crank tho, looked like TDC was one notch off of the 'T' just off the crank pulley before we started. When sitting there idling, once in a while, tries to die, but stays running. Not sure if that's what we're dealing with or the fact it being a different motor and the BOV vents to atmosphere affecting the MAF (was never an issue with old motor). We'll work out the kinks in the next couple weeks. Will get plates on it tomorrow and we'll drive down the road and see how she responds.
I'm just ******* stoked that the thing moves without having to push it anymore!!

Glad you made some progress. Could you post pictures of the cam gears? Did you put the bov in front of the maf or behind it?

Going to end up changing the timing belt soon. So many "should'ves" while the motor was out, but I NEEDED this thing to run. Will def post pics of the difference. The 626 gears only have one 'bump' and the msp has three or four. I'm guessing that's what the camshaft position sensor is reading. Stock MAF setup right off the CAI. Car runs very well, it seems, just all of a sudden, while it idles, it almost dies, then just recovers on it's own and is fine. It's very random. I'll know more when I get to drive it more (interlock going in on Wednesday). Yeah, I know... :(
Also making the assumption that the wastegate actuator is bad as well. Gauge is showing 10-12 psi and we only ran it up to 4500-4700 rpm. That will be an immediate purchase; I don't need to shell this motor. This will probably be the block used when we go forged in the future.
I'm just excited to get my baby back. I think my first baby (daughter will be 16 in two months) is even more excited than I am tho. ;)

The Cam gears are different and you need to swap them as you found out. I think the cams are the same. If you could check the stampings on them and let us know that would be great.

The crank pulley is rumored to be different but I have not been able to verify it yet. Make sure that it has the same number of teeth and that the missing 'home' tooth is in the same location with respect to the key that is machined into the crank. Again if you could let us know what you find that would be great!

Will do. Like I say, will be driving it as of wednesday, but supposed to be kind of rainy throughout the week and weekend, so we probably won't get into it much until next week at the soonest. Will snap some pics and we'll see what differences there are.

The older 626 models did use a different CMP and CKP sensor setup and the MSP ECU will not read the 626 cam and crank gear signals correctly, if that is why you think your car won't start. Use the 626 cams but the MSP cam gears, crank pulley and cam and crank sensors.

It won't make a difference but you should extract the stud from the MSP head and use it.

She seems to run pretty well. I'll know more after tomorrow. Currently using the 626 crank pulley, ckp, and head/cams. Using the Protege cam gears and cmp.
Pretty sure the rare stumble when at idle its from a vacuum leak, just have to track it down. Going to tackle the timing belt and tensioner in the next few weeks. Will take a good look at the crank pulley to see any differences. Also, like I say will snap some pics of the difference in gears, for those of you remotely interested.

Also, will probably do that with the protege head and use out as an ongoing project to be finished by the time we go forged. :D

Crank pulley and cam gears are different. I went through this when I built my forged engine and scratched my head for several days thinking timing was off. The 626 cam gears have 1 notch to read and the protege has 3. On the crank the 626 has 1 tooth missing and the protege has 3 I believe. The crankshafts are also different on the earlier model 626's. Only the newer ones have forged cranks where the older ones were not.

Back