01 protege ES CEL Flashing

retd85

Hey guys,

I'm new to this, but i figure real experience a good way to learn.

With that, this is my problem...

I got the car about a week ago used, and since then, it's been giving me hell. After buying the car, i flushed all oil, trans fluid. after running it for a bit, my CEL lights up. after going over all the basics, we found a clogged air filter, and worn-out sparks. after replacing them and reseting the battery the cel was gone. after a day of driving the cel lights up. at first i thought it was only a 02 sensor (since my old intrepid had that problem and i drove it till the breaks gave.) after a few more minutes, the CEL starts to flash, and my engine starts to rattle. as i would try to drive it to the side, when i'm giving gas, it was as it the car wasn't getting any gas. after pulling over, i reset the battery, cel was gone, and i drove it home asap. the next day my dad and i tried to look at the basics again. again cel is gone, and i'm on my way. a few hours later, the problem came back, only this time, the car died on me. any suggestions?

after this post, my dad and i will be replacing the 02 snsor and pcv valve. we wanted to replace the fule filter, but this is alot more different then a 1990 mx-6 gt turbo (i learned alot form that car)

please any thoughts or suggestions would be great. i don't want to bring this to canadian tire (like autozone) and be bringing it there for the rest of it's life...

thanks..

dont just guess on your issues. go to an auto zone or advance auto and have them read the code. then let us know what the code is.

hey guys, i got the codes...

the first one is..

P0300: random/multiple cylinder misfire

and...

P0421: warm-up catalyst efficiency below threshold

any ideas to this?

thanks

random missfires tend to start with coilpacks.

change those out.

also, the other is the o2 sensor. start with the coilpacks, then if that doesn't fix it, do the o2 sensor.

random missfires tend to start with coilpacks.

change those out.

also, the other is the o2 sensor. start with the coilpacks, then if that doesn't fix it, do the o2 sensor.

Yeah im betting on the coilpacks. Any flashing CEL is always for a major missfire and the flashing is there to mean dont drive it it could cause severe damage. That second code means 02 sensor (maybe) or you might have blown apart your cat on the inside from driving around with the engine missing like that. If its missfiring all the time its still pumping raw fuel into your exhaust, eventually your converter gets saturated with fuel and when it gets hot enough BOOM. Tap on your converter with rubber mallet, you shouldn be able to hear anything rattling inside. And replace your coil packs of course.

Sup dudes, I recently ran into this issue myself with my 99 1.8 and I have been frustrated with it! I changed out plugs wires and coilpacks because I read the code wich said "cylinder one missfire" Now instead of always flashing the CEL it is sometimes solid/sometimes flashing......any hints? this car was my DD that was supposed to be dependable/good mpgs and it kills me to see her sick because she is such a great car!

cel and missfiring

hey guys, i just joined this forum today and i this was y i joined. i have the same problem in my 02 p5. i replaced the plugs and wires and i was gonna go after the coil packs due to one of them just sitting on the plug and not suctioning onto it. it ran much better with the new wires an plugs but it started to do the same missfiring. i have a solid cel light sometimes but the past few days it has been flashing. it sounds like if that one code is a catalyst efficency code that usually means the cat is not getting up to temp and has internal problems. therefore needing to replace the cat. please let me know if you have any luck. i will pull my codes tomorrow and get back at ya. thanx

hey just an update. i have a 02 2.0L p5 and i had the harsh missfire issue. i put new coils in and it has not happened since. i still get the ses light for the catalyst warm up but the missfires are gone.

Back