2017 CX-5: Driven!!

.... CX-5 Type R ...

seh6p.gif

Wow a hud can be bought as an aftermarket kit if you really want one, and as I never used the rear vents in my last Xtrail I don't think its a selling point for me, just adding extra weight and cost. Xtrail also had reclining adjustment on the rear seat back, but again I never used it.

I'm also not liking the idea of lighter steering, for me the present steering is great, and the electric or manual seats I've had and got are also great, never had a problem with either.

I use to have a Mk1 Primera that handled great with really good steering weight, Nissan bought out a Mk2 with lighter steering for the women which killed the steering feel.
I would have liked the rear seats to adjust forwards and back like they do in some VW cars, Tiguan I believe is one.

They do have some extra/new gear. The HUD and rear vents/AC.

Last edited:
More sound deadening than the 2016?

Suspension could be a plus, but not if the handling is compromised as a result, if I want comfort I would buy another car, something like an Xtrail with a reliable diesel engine.

Lots of other refinements and enhancements too. Better seats front and rear adjustable, sound deadening, suspension. I could go on.

Dont take any notice of the TNT's.

Wow a hud can be bought as an aftermarket kit if you really want one, and as I never used the rear vents in my last Xtrail I don't think its a selling point for me, just adding extra weight and cost. Xtrail also had reclining adjustment on the rear seat back, but again I never used it.

I'm also not liking the idea of lighter steering, for me the present steering is great, and the electric or manual seats I've had and got are also great, never had a problem with either.

I use to have a Mk1 Primera that handled great with really good steering weight, Nissan bought out a Mk2 with lighter steering for the women which killed the steering feel.
I would have liked the rear seats to adjust forwards and back like they do in some VW cars, Tiguan I believe is one.

The HUD isn't what I'm looking for, but it is new. And I do t want to fuss with aftermarket. Rear vents and AC is something that would make my 8yo (who is back there ALOT) very happy! So it's a huge tipping point in favor of 2017, for me, and a new feature I'm happy to see!

Suspension could be a plus, but not if the handling is compromised as a result, if I want comfort I would buy another car, something like an Xtrail with a reliable diesel engine.

Don't see Xtrail on Nissan USA's website so that kinda nixes it ;)

thanks for sharing

on their website, they have Touring with Preferred package listed for $28935, which means Preferred package is really only $780!!!
http://www.waynemazda.com/new/Mazda/2017-Mazda-Mazda+CX-5-Wayne-adeae9930a0e0a1771a0e24419f82357.htm

base touring: 27215
destination: 950
preferred pkg: 780

add them all up: 28945.

too bad they can't have both Preferred and I-activesense pkgs together, the 17" wheel looks more attractive to me than the 19"

You know I forgot to look at the dang sticker but there you have it yrwei- looks like we stand corrected!! Maybe an early launch deal? Agreed on wheels..if I go '17 pretty sure it won't be a gt- touring has the lights now- no fogs but can add I believe. Touring ftw! Take that over a CR-V EX all day long. Only annoying thing for me is I already have some nice, dipped aftermarket 17s I use for winter and would want to get something larger, more aggressive for summer..1st world problems

wow, $780 and $625 is a freaking bargain, too bad can't have both though on the touring

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/2017-mazda-cx-5-priced-from-msrp-of-24045-300419999.html

do you guys think it'll be possible to get Grand Touring FWD w/ Premium Package for $30K (before taxes/fees) if I wait a year ?
basically dealer discounting the premium package for free (-$1830) or is that wishful thinking ?

Last edited:
wow, $780 and $625 is a freaking bargain, too bad can't have both though on the touring

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/2017-mazda-cx-5-priced-from-msrp-of-24045-300419999.html

do you guys think it'll be possible to get Grand Touring FWD w/ Premium Package for $30K (before taxes/fees) if I wait a year ?
basically dealer discounting the premium package for free (-$1830) or is that wishful thinking ?

I think it would take a new model introduction. I'm seeing $2,100 off MSRP for 2016.5 Sport MTs at a local dealership, to "make room" for the 2017. IOW: I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

I appreciate the value of Monte's view, but I'd take the "handling is compromised" aspect with a grain of salt. This is contrary to what a lot of Professional reviews are saying; if anything, the consensus is the steering and handling are improved over those of Gen 1.

Last edited:
I appreciate the value of Monte's view, but I'd take the "handling is compromised" aspect with a grain of salt. This is contrary to what a lot of Professional reviews are saying; if anything, the consensus is the steering and handling are improved over those of Gen 1.
The handling was great in the 2017s that I've driven. The new lighter steering is remarkably responsive, really hard to describe unless you've driven it, but it cuts through turns incredible smoothly, and is so much more fun to drive, feels like driving a much smaller car.

Looks like the MSRP went up a little bit. I think my no options/packages AWD Touring was MSRP of $26,600.

Last edited:
Wow a hud can be bought as an aftermarket kit if you really want one,

Yea, cuz that's just so easy to do.

and as I never used the rear vents in my last Xtrail I don't think its a selling point for me,
First car I've owned in 10 years with no rear vents.

just adding extra weight and cost.
Vent's might lower the weight by an ounce actually. :D

Xtrail also had reclining adjustment on the rear seat back, but again I never used it.

Agree this isn't great on most cars I've seen it. Not sure how well the CX5 has. It can only go back so far with out compromising safety. In the 2 cars I've seen it on it's about the same incline as an airplane seat.

I'm also not liking the idea of lighter steering, for me the present steering is great,

Totally agree here. I get in my wife's car now and it feels TOO light. Never felt that way before. It's just what you get used to. lol

Driving: Familiar (still) ride is a bit softer (good I guess) but handling felt somewhat compromised- nothing more than seat of the pants so please take that fwiw but jerking the wheel slightly @55 resulted in bit more of a loosey goosey motion than I recall. Now that I think of it that's probably more a tire thing which btw are A36 now for 19s. Steering also felt light- especially so at low speeds- again nothing terrible or night and day about the driving experience just seemed like there was a layer of fluff albeit thin- to me its there and again this is not such a bad thing. As for noise I wasn't at highway speed long enough quite honestly- (my bad) but I did drive 3 cars and my time was somewhat limited. Head up display on the gt which I drove next was certainly better than plexiglass solution but I don't think I'd pony up to get it- or even a gt maybe- wheels underwhelming at best- 16s are better looking all day long. Acceleration- no perceivable difference.

That's concerning. Not sure I am liking the direction Mazda is taking the CX-5.

Still want to give one a try to see.

That's concerning. Not sure I am liking the direction Mazda is taking the CX-5.

Still want to give one a try to see.
I think this is subjective, you should test drive one for yourself.

On the light steering though, I think that's great for the 2017 mdoels. I think the steering on the 2016 CX-5 is on the heavy side. I get tired faster driving the CX-5 with one hand on the highway because the steering is heavy when making small corrections, especially if it is windy. This is also something that my brother pointed out to me when he borrowed our CX-5 for a road trip. For reference, he daily drives a NC Miata and myself a Mazdaspeed3. So maybe we are just not used to driving bigger heavier cars, but I still think lighter steering is needed for the CX-5.

Haha mornin' sunshine! I thought I pretty much said that (take this for fwiw) based on my very limited overall time and distance with each but, imho did the new steering feel better- to me- no it didn't, ruined? Definitely not- just lighter particularly noticed this at low speed. Did the handling feel better? No it didn't. Again not ruined or even much different by any stretch of the imagination just a bit less sharp- maybe. Could that have been a pre-conceived expectation and resulted in placebo effect? Yes but from the softer seats (boo!) to the steering weight to my highway LRL maneuvers idk just felt like the effort was spent to instill a more upmarket overall feel rather than inject more zoom. Again my .02 and if you read my summary I'll probably still hold off and go for the touring w/preferred as I really like the value there. Take the savings for bigger, more aggressive wheels/tires which I also mentioned changed on the gt to model A36 and could very well have been all or most of what I was feeling in terms of just slightly less sharp. Savings could also be (maybe) put toward sky-d which I know I'd kick myself for not taking wait and see approach on. Or here's a thought kev (and all really) go drive one and tell me I'm full of it- maybe I am-hell I kind of hope I am and maybe my buttometer just had an off day! Just trying to give an early, honest 1st hand review of my findings- nothing more.

Last edited:
any chance the change in handling being reported from test drivers have anything to do with the G-vectoring feature they added ?

Interviews with Mazda's Dave Coleman have expanded on the suspension.

friction has been reduced at the strut assembly internally.

springs have been updated for advanced geometry, now there is a true LEFT and RIGHT Coil spring.

steering rack has been moved from bushings, to a direct chassis mount instead.

Looking at the specs for the touring, I'm not impressed. They took out navigation and fog lights and added leatherette... combined with the ugly front end and the infotainment above the dash... no thanks. Those are big steps in the wrong direction and backwards in my opinion. I'm so glad I got the 2016.5 instead.

Interviews with Mazda's Dave Coleman have expanded on the suspension.

friction has been reduced at the strut assembly internally.

springs have been updated for advanced geometry, now there is a true LEFT and RIGHT Coil spring.

steering rack has been moved from bushings, to a direct chassis mount instead.

Right- I saw this and I'm not saying omg they killed the zippy cx-5!! The ride is better and I don't doubt quieter. Do I think gen 2 left a bit more room for a 'speed or some meaningful sport version? Yeah, I do- and I'd love to see that happen!

Back