Alarm Malfunction - Help Needed

jersey_emt

:
04 MSM #1089
My alarm decided to crap out on me today. The parking lights stay on all of the time now. I've unhooked the battery cable to reset everything.

If I don't touch the alarm remote after reattaching the battery cable, the car will not start, and the alarm LED in the dash blinks. The minute I hit the 'unlock' button on the remote, I am able to start the car, but the parking lights remain on all of the time, regardless of the knob position on the left stalk. The only way to get the parking and tail lights off is to unhook the battery.

So I know a dealer trip is necessary to fix this. But my problem is I am going on vacation starting Saturday, and will not have time to make an appointment at the dealer. So I need to do something myself.

Here are my options as I see them:
1. I could just unhook the battery cable each time I leave the car, but that will be a royal PITA, plus I am afraid that it will completely crap out and I won't be able to start the car at all. Not good when I'm 500 miles away from home.

2. Make an appointment with a dealer near the Outer Banks in North Carolina. Anybody know of a dealer that can help me out? Problem with this is I'll have to give up time during my vacation to get my car fixed.

3. Fix something myself. If this means having to remove the alarm completely, then so be it. If this is the only option to fix it myself, and you know how to do this, please send me a PM with directions. Do not post them publicly, I don't want that information to be public knowledge viewable by anybody who visits the site (for obvious reasons).

Help me out please!
~Justin

Long time viewer, first time posting. Just had my alarm module replaced - when my alarm first starting acting up, I could get it back to normal by simply starting the car. Lights would work normally - after turning it off, I just had to make sure not to use the remote to lock the doors. (Could still use the remote to unlock though)
Sounds like yours might be worse, but maybe that will work for a temporary fix. Also, my dealership had to special order the control module, so if you do have to replace it while on vacation, you will probably want to call ahead and have them order it for you (part # is 0000-8F-C10).

Hope that helps! (2thumbs)

FL_Speed001 said:
Long time viewer, first time posting. Just had my alarm module replaced - when my alarm first starting acting up, I could get it back to normal by simply starting the car. Lights would work normally - after turning it off, I just had to make sure not to use the remote to lock the doors. (Could still use the remote to unlock though)
Sounds like yours might be worse, but maybe that will work for a temporary fix. Also, my dealership had to special order the control module, so if you do have to replace it while on vacation, you will probably want to call ahead and have them order it for you (part # is 0000-8F-C10).

Hope that helps! (2thumbs)

Starting the car does not work, the parking lights still stay on until I unhook the battery cable. Believe me, I tried EVERYTHING to get those lights to turn off, the only way they do is to cut the juice.

Thanks for the tip, I may call up a dealer in NC tomorrow and have them preorder the part for me.

jump the starter wire ( 2 wire plug in the alarm unit ) together, and remove the other plugs.. then just use the key to enter the car and lock it

RyanJayG said:
jump the starter wire ( 2 wire plug in the alarm unit ) together, and remove the other plugs.. then just use the key to enter the car and lock it

Sounds like this could work...can anybody else confirm before I go splicing/shorting wires?

I have a similar problem and my MSp dealership is just about an hour away. Can any Mazda dealer help us or does it have to be an MSP dealership?

Take your car to an audio place and have them disconnect your alarm for you so your not disconnecting your battery everytime you park your car. This is just a quick fix.

jersey_emt said:
Sounds like this could work...can anybody else confirm before I go splicing/shorting wires?
no splicing, just make a jumper from a short piece of wire and plug it into the 2 wire plug. I actually crimped some pins on my wire (the benefits of doing electrical work for a living). I did this just this past weekend when I installed my compustar

I did it this way so to return to stock all I ahve to do it put the Code unit back in.

ryanjayg- MSP's are different........trust me.

Nope...port installed yes...just think of it as an updated version

still, I would almost garuntee it has a starter interupt wire comming in and going out of it, weither its a 2 pin plug or not... the pin outs were on the back of my alarm unit.. check it.

why dont you stop at a dealership on your way down? I'm sure they just have to do something like reset the alarm module to stop it from screwing up. I know at least 2 dealerships that are in my neck of the woods that are on your way to the OBX, both are about 5 minutes off of I-64.

Well I was able to disable the alarm system with some help from a member of the boards. It's actually pretty scary how easy it is to disable it (nervous)

the alarm module is bad...very easily replaced by dealer for free. I've heard it takes less than 1/2 hour.

Man alive!

My alarm is doing something simaller but my rear light goes off with starting my car. Does anyone know why they do this? My only guess is that the control unit is zip-tied to a frame bar? Oh well, I'm going to have it checked out on tues. And right now I'm just locking the car from the inside befor I get out.

My alarm just crapped out yesterday too. The horn would not go off and then i coudln't even start the car. Had it towed to the dealer and they fixed it in an hour. Get it to the dealer before you can't start the car any more and have to have it towed. My dealer had the module in stock so yours might too. I'm assuming it's a common problem.

Back