cutting coils

i think mindy would have been fine if she didn't come on her copping an attitude on her second post. the questions were fine... people telling her not to do it was rhetorted by a defensive post that just set roy on fire. it's not his fault. she should have been nicer.

Roywhitep5 said:
whoops i flamed him out of existance:p

oh well he was an asshole
True, but it should have been done gradually so we all could've gotten more entertaiment bang for our collective buck!!

Hey fellas, blmindy402 is my girlfriend thanks for whorin the thread, say whatever you want I dont care its just a forum. She just bought an 01' Protege and we were just wondering if anyone has cut their springs, we know everyone thinks it ghetto. I own an s-10 and have cut my springs and so have a bunch of people with s-10's and we haven't had any problems the ride isn't even bad. Since we are new to the forum we did a search and read about cutting the coils and everyone gave their 2 cents and said yeah its gay, ghetto, etc. etc, etc. She didn't mean to come off as an A$%, but she wanted some real information from someone who has done it on a protege before. This is the reason a forum is in existence right? Anyway, if there is anyone out there who has cut their coils would you mind posting problems you had, ride quality? I am talking about cuting a 1/2 to 1 coil not 2 or 3 coils, also I know that heating the coils is Ghetto, becuase I've seen it done and the problems it causes when done thats why I call it ghetto, but cutting half a coil from a car seems to have no affect except ride quality which when someone is going lower they cant expect the best ride quality thats just the nature of going lower. You guys did say you had problems with the spring coming out of the pocket when put on a lift, now thats some information that has helped preventing me from doing to her car. Any more helpful information would be appreciated, sorry for the novel.

last time i saw someone cut their coils on their protege their strut blew within 2 hours and the car dropped an additional 1.5 inches after the cut springs settled.

knowing you have a S10 explains a lot however.

blmindy402 said:
Hey fellas, blmindy402 is my girlfriend thanks for whorin the thread, say whatever you want I dont care its just a forum. She just bought an 01' Protege and we were just wondering if anyone has cut their springs, we know everyone thinks it ghetto. I own an s-10 and have cut my springs and so have a bunch of people with s-10's and we haven't had any problems the ride isn't even bad. Since we are new to the forum we did a search and read about cutting the coils and everyone gave their 2 cents and said yeah its gay, ghetto, etc. etc, etc. She didn't mean to come off as an A$%, but she wanted some real information from someone who has done it on a protege before. This is the reason a forum is in existence right? Anyway, if there is anyone out there who has cut their coils would you mind posting problems you had, ride quality? I am talking about cuting a 1/2 to 1 coil not 2 or 3 coils, also I know that heating the coils is Ghetto, becuase I've seen it done and the problems it causes when done thats why I call it ghetto, but cutting half a coil from a car seems to have no affect except ride quality which when someone is going lower they cant expect the best ride quality thats just the nature of going lower. You guys did say you had problems with the spring coming out of the pocket when put on a lift, now thats some information that has helped preventing me from doing to her car. Any more helpful information would be appreciated, sorry for the novel.

like i said, the spring pops off the perch. this is cutting 1 coil. problem with the stock springs is the top of the spring that mounts to the top perch is FLAT. it fits on the perch perfectly. cutting it will give you a rounded top. this is part of the problem. cutting the spring a half coil is also very bad. the spring no longer sits in the housing the way it was designed. go over a bump and pop goes the weisel. i've seen the effects of cutting springs with my own two eyes. if you want to do it, go for it. if your girlfriend gets in a wreck because you want to ghetto rig the car, then go ahead. don't say we didn't tell you so.

the reason your truck had no diminished ride quality is because it's a truck. the spring rate is stiff as a rock. and don't you have leafsprings in the rear? the protege, on the other hand, is a much softer spring rate. cutting it will diminish the ride quality. again, it's your car, do what you want.

you will ruin all your suspension on the protege if you do that. i know a protege that tried, and now he has to buy my springs and other stuff because he not only blew out his struts but his spring got mangled. dont do it.

Some cars you can some you can't The way the spring seats on the pro you can't.
I cut the springs on my stang and it was fine.

Thanks 4 y'alls comments. I really appreciate it. Sorry to come off as a
jerk. I think i will save up and buy'em.

Back