pro5 or pro ES?

hey guys--
im 16 and looking for a car and i have done my reasearch and driven both the mp5 and the pro ES both with auto with the sport shifter....i would like to kno if u guys think i should go wit the wagon/hatch or the sedan
i kno the sedan is a lil quicker, and the hatch has more room

please tell me what u guys think,
thanks,
Brad

(i posted in the 3rd gen forum also b/c i want feedback so i can act on the $3000 in rebates on 03's)

I prefer the P5 over the ES...and I have an MSP....go figure!
Had their been a MSP P5, i would have bought it.
my $0.02.

gobrad1210 said:
thanks for the reply...also please compare it to other cars in the price range like maybe a civic ex

no no no, don't do that. You've already chosen the best car in its class, just decide whether you want the P5 or the ES :).

Hi,

Honestly, I think that the P5 is the best of its class if you compare it to the Matrix, Vibe, Civic, 1.7 EL, etc.

I would suggest you to get the P5. I dont' know if it's still the case, but when I drove the ES (my car was getting fixed, so they lent it to me), the light gauges and everythign is in green, compared to the red-ish light of P5. (This might be somethign minor, but I do put a lot of priority on how the inside of the car looks like). Then, there's the front bumper, the fog lights of the p5 looks much nicer than those of the ES.

Anwyays, that's my opinion.

PS, tell us after you've made your choice! :D

Go MP5 all the way, and get a manual transmission too. Or else you will regret it later.....you'll be missing out on all the fun.

haha i wish i could go manual...
but im up here in michigan and my parents dont want me to get a manual wit my first car especially when im in snow... haha
so, i guess the sportshift is the next best thing?

and i gotta decide soon, becasue there is 3000 in rebates for 03's

Not sure if this is the case with the sedan, but I know this much about the P5 -- it is a pleasure to drive. Yeah, it's damn good looking, it's much much more of a head turner than the sedan, that's a given. But what does it for me is that the P5 is so much fun to get behind the wheel and drive. I look forward to driving to/from work for 70 mi everyday. You'll love taking the backroads home in this car, the more twisties the better :).

<edit>Umm, sorry, as for the sportshift--I have one, and it does the job. Do regret a little not getting the manual, but overall it's still a blast to drive</edit>

Last edited:
cyc said:
Hi,

, but when I drove the ES (my car was getting fixed, so they lent it to me), the light gauges and everythign is in green, compared to the red-ish light of P5.

Then, there's the front bumper, the fog lights of the p5 looks much nicer than those of the ES.

The 2003 ES has red interior lighting, BTW. Yeah, I love the P5 front end and almost got the 5 just for that alone. But, I'm not a station wagon person, so I didn't

arghh such a hard decision...to add more to the mix..
any performance differences? (and which is easier to find upgrades for: like intake and exhaust)
thanks guys

get one of these

pro031004-05.jpg

Oh yea, 2 of my friends have Civics, and they can't compare to the way the Protege drives.

its a parents thing...they are paying for insurance and w/e they want me to get an auto i dont kno...better than nothing

gobrad1210 said:
haha i wish i could go manual...
but im up here in michigan and my parents dont want me to get a manual wit my first car especially when im in snow... haha
so, i guess the sportshift is the next best thing?

and i gotta decide soon, becasue there is 3000 in rebates for 03's

My first was a manual Nissan Sentra, and I had to learn to drive it in the snow in Tennessee. It's not that bad at all. The stock clutch in the P5 is really forgiving. Plus the overall price of the vehicle will be cheaper with manual. Remind the parentals about that:D

haha i did...they might be willing to pay the difference for me to get an auto....*sigh* at least the pro and pro5 are sweet cars anyway and they have decent automatics

Chalk one up for the Protege5. Also, a 5spd is actually better in the snow. Easier to rock back and forth out of those certain slush spots. My 2-cents...

the auto so far seems to have poor gas milage. so in the end you pay $800 for the auto, + $x for gas more than a manual.

just another thing to consider.

and you WILL REGRET IT. 100% positive you will.

Latest posts

Back