High Speed Driving

Not that I condone law-breaking, but I do tend to do a bit of high-speed driving (80's+), on dry pavement of course. Can anyone tell me how the CX-5 performs generally at high speed?

Driving on the Southern California freeways, there are many areas that if you aren't doing 85 you aren't keeping up with the traffic. The CX 5 drives very well at that speed. I have it 90 many times while passing someone and it is quite composed. But it isn't built for autobahn touring. I'm sure it would drive well at over 100 but at that speed if you came up upon an object in the lane like a ladder or piece of furniture as we often see here due to the morons who don't properly secure items you would be in trouble making an evasive maneuver or braking hard and swerving that a more nimble car could easily do. 85 is plenty fast for an SUV that weighs 3800 lbs has a high center of gravity and is shod with all season tires.

Last edited:
Driving on the Southern California freeways, there are many areas that if you aren't doing 85 you aren't keeping up with the traffic. The CX 5 drives very well at that speed. I have it 90 many times while passing someone and it is quite composed. But it isn't built for autobahn touring. I'm sure it would drive well at over 100 but at that speed if you came up upon an object in the lane like a ladder or piece of furniture as we often see here due to the morons who don't properly secure items you would be in trouble making an evasive maneuver or braking hard and swerving that a more nimble car could easily do. 85 is plenty fast for an SUV that weighs 3800 lbs has a high center of gravity and is shod with all season tires.

TO be fair, no vehicle is going to perform well doing that, and the speed-difference in the CX5 and even the best sports cars, isn't as high as you think.

That's it. A mere 3mph separates the CX5 from a 9114S in "ladder dodging" tests.

Also, you can feel pretty good about the CX5, in its class...

It is not speed thru the cones by an expert driver, it is excursions in the vehicle dynamics and attempts to control them by a driver unaccustomed to those issues. The result will often be a high speed crash.

I've unintentionally had mine over 90 without even realizing it. I was just passing somebody.

I guess that's a testament.

Not that I condone law-breaking, but I do tend to do a bit of high-speed driving (80's+), on dry pavement of course. Can anyone tell me how the CX-5 performs generally at high speed?

Fine. On the highway/interstates, I regularly catch myself going 85+ on accident.

As for purposeful speeding, did 110 through portions of I-80 in Wyoming. I wouldn't condone doing that these days though, seems the cops are catching on.

I got nailed in Wyoming years ago only doing 95 and it was 6:30am. What a fussy cop.

High speed cornering is sketch with oem tire and suspension due to rolling moment during turn in.

I got nailed in Wyoming years ago only doing 95 and it was 6:30am. What a fussy cop.

So, were you speeding by 20 mph over or more and the cop was wrong? Or does Wyoming have speed limits that vary by time of day?

It is not speed thru the cones by an expert driver, it is excursions in the vehicle dynamics and attempts to control them by a driver unaccustomed to those issues. The result will often be a high speed crash.

I've driven enough world class cars as a noob to sadly inform you that yes abrupt maneuvers in sports cars can suck, too. The electric nannies nowadays are amazing though, and I bet the cx5 would surprise you.

I believe that his point is in showing what the vehicle is capable of, the limiting factor is always going to be the driver's skill, or lack thereof.

I upgraded my sway bars and installed lowering springs. I found that these made the car more comfortable at higher speeds. Instead of floating over bumps in the road the car feels much more planted. I've comfortably hit 130 on California highways since these mods but was afraid to go more than 100 before.

So, were you speeding by 20 mph over or more and the cop was wrong? Or does Wyoming have speed limits that vary by time of day?

IIRC, portions of I25 in central Wyoming have a speed limit of 85, as does much of I90 in South Dakota. My CX-5 handled like a dream there. Great high speed cruiser!

I found the 2.5L cx5 burns a TON of fuel above 80. Similar to my 5.7L HEMI powered Jeep, past 90. The turbo motor is much much more efficient at higher speeds.

I upgraded my sway bars and installed lowering springs. I found that these made the car more comfortable at higher speeds. Instead of floating over bumps in the road the car feels much more planted. I've comfortably hit 130 on California highways since these mods but was afraid to go more than 100 before.

Really? Thought the CX-5 was speed limited to 120.

Back