Where Is Mazda Headed Next?

Also, dam, you are correct about the RAV4 with the 6-speed auto. My god that was an awful automatic transmission, felt like a CVT.

That's mostly because CVT's can't handle lots of horsepower and torque, and the fact that people that buy premium vehicles don't care that much about the fuel efficiency that a CVT can provide.

To Honda's defense they do make better CVTs than most. If it costs less to produce they will continue with it until another technology comes out and is matured.

Over here the current 3 starts in the low 20K and finishes in the mid 30K. It sells quite well

In Australian dollars? Also, we Americans' are fat and getting fatter. Don't know how many cars they sell in Australia but in the USA they used to sell about 10K a month. Now, it is closer to 5-6. They need to get back to at least 10 if not higher. A smaller 3 will not do it. And for 30K, most people won't go for it in the USA unless it has lots of HP (think Focus).

My buddy just dumped his 2015 Tacoma after 1.5 years of a 3 year lease. He hated it that much. (ironically, despite breaking the lease early, he still didn't lose any money due to their ridiculous resale value).

Older Toyotas were the tops tho.... late 80s, early 90s.

What did he hate about it?

We bought a new 4runner in 2012 and I love the thing. It hasn't hiccuped in 60K miles. Not one issue. We just gas it up and go. It's definitely no sports car or something to commute-to-your-desk in comfort and silence. But deep sand? Check. Mud holes? No problem. Hill climbs? Easy like pie. Tow a boat or trailer? Done.
The thing's damn-near bulletproof! Here we are one day in the Hollister Hills. That's a steep hill we're at the top of.
hollister13b.jpg

In Australian dollars? Also, we Americans' are fat and getting fatter. Don't know how many cars they sell in Australia but in the USA they used to sell about 10K a month. Now, it is closer to 5-6. They need to get back to at least 10 if not higher. A smaller 3 will not do it. And for 30K, most people won't go for it in the USA unless it has lots of HP (think Focus).
Yes Australian dollars

What did he hate about it?

We bought a new 4runner in 2012 and I love the thing. It hasn't hiccuped in 60K miles. Not one issue. We just gas it up and go. It's definitely no sports car or something to commute-to-your-desk in comfort and silence. But deep sand? Check. Mud holes? No problem. Hill climbs? Easy like pie. Tow a boat or trailer? Done.
The thing's damn-near bulletproof! Here we are one day in the Hollister Hills. That's a steep hill we're at the top of.
hollister13b.jpg

He hated the way it drove. Simple as that. It was mainly a commuter vehicle for him, with the occasional weekend excursion taking out his dirt bikes. He also hated looking at it because there are a million of them around. He had a 1996 4 Runner with manual back in the day. Says getting rid of that ride was one of the biggest mistakes he ever made (traded it in for a V8 Ford Explorer.... which he didn't keep very long).

I had a 2001 4 Runner for about 9 or 10 years, and I liked it very much. I didn't like the next generation that started in 2003, and your 2012 is still using that platform. If you're happy with yours that's cool... I'm quite sure its fantastic off pavement.

Was at the dealership last Saturday to drop off the CX-5 for service. Actrually my wife drove the CX-5, while I drove the Speed. I unfortunately had to park in front of the salesmen and one of them came over to talk to me. He was aggressively trying to get me to sell my Speed. I told him not until there's a new Mazdaspeed model. He then went on talking about how Mazda is moving up as a premium brand and that AWD with a turbo is coming soon to a Mazda3, Mazda6 or CX-5. He doesn't know yet which one is going to get it, just that one of those models will get that drivetrain/engine combination. Take it with a grain of salt, but if is true, that is good news for performance minded Mazda fans.

Was at the dealership last Saturday to drop off the CX-5 for service. Actrually my wife drove the CX-5, while I drove the Speed. I unfortunately had to park in front of the salesmen and one of them came over to talk to me. He was aggressively trying to get me to sell my Speed. I told him not until there's a new Mazdaspeed model. He then went on talking about how Mazda is moving up as a premium brand and that AWD with a turbo is coming soon to a Mazda3, Mazda6 or CX-5. He doesn't know yet which one is going to get it, just that one of those models will get that drivetrain/engine combination. Take it with a grain of salt, but if is true, that is good news for performance minded Mazda fans.

Please let it be a NON-CUV! (bang)

Yes, that will be the Diesel CX-5, which uses a twin turbo 2.2 diesel engine!

The salesman has no idea and is peddling drivel.

The salesman has no idea and is peddling drivel.

There is a high chance of him doing just that haha. It makes sense though that the next step for Mazda is to make the AWD/2.5T combo available for another model in their lineup.

There is a high chance of him doing just that haha. It makes sense though that the next step for Mazda is to make the AWD/2.5T combo available for another model in their lineup.

In my mind, this is the rub. They know at some point, they'll have to provide a larger engine option to be truly "premium"... but they're withholding that information as long as possible. And I am guessing that is because it won't be under the "speed" name/banner. They're clearly abandoning that name with their up market move, and getting rid of any remaining boy-racer stuff is key to the move. Other than the signature trim level, I'm not sure what they'll call it, but I think they'll have two engine options available at least for their Signature trims.

So I wouldn't be surprised if in the next year or so they announce the 2.5T being available on other models.

You can thank me in advance.

(breakn)

I am holding off my purchase because I want that 2.5T. it just doesn't make sense for such a small company to develop a new engine and only put it in their low volume model.

They're probably withholding the information to avoid losing sales for current models. With the 3 getting the SkyActiv-X engine soon, and the CX-5 getting the diesel engine soon (fingers crossed), that leaves the Mazda6. Historically, they've already sold a Mazda6 that had AWD and a turbo, so it wouldn't be surprising if it did get that combo. I don't think it matters anymore if they call it Mazdaspeed or not, people just want the extra performance from the 2.5T engine.

I am holding off my purchase because I want that 2.5T. it just doesn't make sense for such a small company to develop a new engine and only put it in their low volume model.

Dont get too comfortable, because they are still developing the compression ignition motors for 2019 which means the 2.5T is likely going to stay only in the CX-9.

Dont quote me on that though. Im still really hoping that they will put the 2.5T in the 2018 models as a last hurrah before skyactiv ten 2; but Im not being too hopeful of that at all.

I don't think you're going to see that engine in anything other than a CX-9. It's there because it's the only engine in their lineup that can pull a CX-9. If adding the engine to their other vehicles would be beneficial for them, they would have done it already. You will likely see HCCI engines across the line with the exception of the CX-9. They're roadmap suggests HCCI+Electrification technology, not turbos.

They're 'premium' strategy seems to be make a nice looking car that's quiet, and has a nice interior but offers nothing else that a typical premium car might deliver like power or features.

Last edited:
I don't think you're going to see that engine in anything other than a CX-9. It's there because it's the only engine in their lineup that can pull a CX-9. If adding the engine to their other vehicles would be beneficial for them, they would have done it already. You will likely see HCCI engines across the line with the exception of the CX-9. They're roadmap suggests HCCI+Electrification technology, not turbos.

They're 'premium' strategy seems to be make a nice looking car that's quiet, and has a nice interior but offers nothing else that a typical premium car might deliver like power or features.

There's what Mazda wants to put out and then there's what the EPA wants Mazda to put out LOL. Man the EPA!!!! I agree in that roads lead towards HCCI+Electrification technology...eventually down the line. The joint Toyota assembly plant is another indicator.

In the end I hope we the consumers win no matter what brand we purchase.

Youve actually become quite reasonable after your ban, thank god.

I agree. It doesnt make any sense for them at this point because the current 2.5L is sufficient for the majority of CX-5 buyers, its definitely sufficient for any Mazda 3 or 6 In FWD form and I highly doubt they are going to slap AWD into the current Gen 3/6, so since Mazda was busy focusing on the HCCI engine instead of bringing the 2.5T to a market which may not necessarily justify the extra production costs of AWD + 2.5T.

The next generation Mazda 3, or Kai concept will feature the 2L and 2.5 HCCI motor. The 2.5 will be making roughly 210HP and 250ft/lb of torque.

The next Mazda 6 is the Mazda vision concept, which according to a Japanese article will have the 2.5 X motor as the base engine and then some sort of 3L V6 (supposedly turbo, but you said Mazda is staying away from turbos with the CX-9 so who knows) making about 350HP. If you take a look at these concepts including the upcoming rx-9 which is absolutely beautiful, Mazda has really defined their own styling language and their cars look beautifully luxurious yet will still maintain the lovely driving dynamics. Dear god I do wish they put a 3L Inline 6 into the next 6, they can easily build one based from the current 2L X version and save money while building a motor that is better then a v6. However, they will likely just end up making another v6 from scratch so they can fit it across their lineup in the future and save costs that way. I dont know what they will make, but I know it will be great.

Back