SkyActiv-X Review, glimpse of possibly what to expect in future CX-5s

Here is one of the official videos, a Mazda video with a general overview and animations of the combustion process of the Skyactiv-X and comparison with the Gas and diesel variants.

If it's something that people have thought of, but not implemented because its fussy and finicky, we'll have to see how well it works and how reliable it winds up being.

Funny how much of a fuss people are putting up over somethings as innocuous as cylinder deactivation, but the forum seems to be waiting for this new engine with baited breath.

If it pans out, I look forward to driving one of these when I'm done with my US diesel CX-5 :)

Mazda tried to force rotary to be viable for a long time, despite obvious drawbacks.

It's largely existing technology combined with software and a level of computation processing that's now available.

Cylinder deactivation seems like a finicky band-aid in comparison.

It's largely existing technology combined with software and a level of computation processing that's now available.

It could be that it’s a stopgap measure until SkyActiv-X is available.

It could be that it’s a stopgap measure until SkyActiv-X is available.

It's the last throw of the dice to improve fuel efficiency for the SkyActiv I engine.

Exactly ^^

But like it's fussy and adding complexity for minimal gain and added risk of failure.

I don’t think we should assume Skyactiv X will be completely solid and trouble free. It is definitely more complicated than cylinder deactivation.

I don’t think we should assume Skyactiv X will be completely solid and trouble free. It is definitely more complicated than cylinder deactivation.

That's probably why if I were coming up to purchase a Mazda with this engine, I'd probably wait a few years until any problems are ironed out

Not assuming anything but by and large the hardware is pretty standard stuff that's been in use in varying manner in gas and diesel engines for years.

It's largely the software and computational power running it that are revolutionary, not the hardware.

Not assuming anything but by and large the hardware is pretty standard stuff that's been in use in varying manner in gas and diesel engines for years.

It's largely the software and computational power running it that are revolutionary, not the hardware.

Didn't I read somewhere that there will be a supercharger for bottom end power/torque (uhm)

I'm more curious as to when the 2.5L version is coming out. I've only seen the 2L referenced in literature etc and if I was buying a next gen 3 or CX5, I want the 2.5L 'X' motor, not the 2.0L.

That's probably why if I were coming up to purchase a Mazda with this engine, I'd probably wait a few years until any problems are ironed out

Exactly, while things like super charging and direct injection aren’t new this is a very big step forward in combustion management. I can think of a few examples of new engine and transmission technologies having issues in the real world in very specific sets of conditions. Mazda can’t test everything under the sun.

I'm more curious as to when the 2.5L version is coming out. I've only seen the 2L referenced in literature etc and if I was buying a next gen 3 or CX5, I want the 2.5L 'X' motor, not the 2.0L.

Not mentioned anywhere about 2.5L X version

Exactly, while things like super charging and direct injection aren’t new this is a very big step forward in combustion management. I can think of a few examples of new engine and transmission technologies having issues in the real world in very specific sets of conditions. Mazda can’t test everything under the sun.

We will see in the future how it pans out

Still added complexity

...that's been in use for decades.

Again, the hardware's not revolutionary, it's the software/monitoring/computational power and using that tried and tested hardware in a more efficient manner.

The tech is pretty much all 'management'.

If the new motor will have a good reliable ecu, then I dont see why anyone should expect decreased reliability from this engine.

Back