Auto Wipers/Auto Lights

Why would LED headlights use more energy by turning them on and off? I mean I would think it's annoying as hell, but I doubt they waste more energy. They don't have a ballast like HID's.

Why would LED headlights use more energy by turning them on and off? I mean I would think it's annoying as hell, but I doubt they waste more energy. They don't have a ballast like HID's.
I guess it won't waste much energy but most LED lights have their own PSUs for voltage and current conversions.

The comment I was replying to is that it uses more energy turning them off an on. I seriously doubt that's the case. Sure having lights on uses energy, but turning them off and on every so often would not use MORE energy than just leaving them on. I don't think there is a voltage/current spike that is needed to energize LED's so there shouldn't be a larger draw just to turn them on.

Uses more of the battery not to mention wear and tear of the components.

But they're LEDs which draw considerably less load then normal lights. I would assume it's the same in the automotive application anyway.

But they're LEDs which draw considerably less load then normal lights. I would assume it's the same in the automotive application anyway.

True but still does draw load and more so in inclement weather (uhm)

As was previously mentioned, in many states it is legally required to have your headlights on if your wipers are on consistently. Not to mention that it can be extremely dangerous to drive with your lights off in low-visibility situations! The number of people in Colorado who drive through torrential rain and snow with their lights completely off is astounding... IMO this should be a standard feature across all new vehicles.

I have both wipers and headlights set to auto. It was raining here on the way home yesterday and I specifically watched for my headlights to come on. They never did, or at least the light on the dash did not light up. It was somewhat light out, just a slow steady rain, so that may have something to do with the lights not coming on. I have the sensitivity set to medium.

Last edited:
I have both wipers and headlights set to auto. It was raining here on the way home yesterday and I specifically watched for my headlights to come on. They never did, or at least the light on the dash did not light up. It was somewhat light out, just a slow steady rain, so that may have something to do with the wipers not coming on. I have the sensitivity set to medium.

Were you in slow moving traffic? Seems light comes on for me at speeds over 30 mph

There was some highway driving, so no, not slow moving all the time. It would be nice to ensure this works because of MO law:
Missouri Statutes:
307.020 (9):

Missouri Headlight Laws“When lighted lamps are required” means at any time from a half-hour after sunset to a half-hour before sunrise and at any other time when there is not sufficient light to render clearly discernible persons and vehicles on the highway at a distance of five hundred feet ahead. Lighted lamps shall also be required any time the weather conditions require usage of the motor vehicle’s windshield wipers to operate the vehicle in a careful and prudent manner as defined in section 304.012. The provisions of this section shall be interpreted to require lighted lamps during periods of fog even if usage of the windshield wipers is not necessary to operate the vehicle in a careful and prudent manner.

I'll be tinkering with the settings some to see if it starts working as intended. Unfortunately I will have to wait until the next time it rains.

I have both wipers and headlights set to auto. It was raining here on the way home yesterday and I specifically watched for my headlights to come on. They never did, or at least the light on the dash did not light up. It was somewhat light out, just a slow steady rain, so that may have something to do with the lights not coming on. I have the sensitivity set to medium.

If they did, the light should on your dashboard should have come on

Back