Mazda radar cruise control with stop and go

In the US market it may be standard but not globally .. there are various defined levels of vehicle automation.. it’s not any of them.

Mazda have never said their vehicles are automated in any way

If a car moves into your lane and you already have mrcc enabled, the sensors/radar should detect it and adjust the speed accordingly.

So I contacted Mazda Australia and asked them about MRCC.

Their response - if there is no gap (in other words when there is no car in front) when you engage MRCC it will not stop if approaching a stationary car.

Youre at the mercy of emergency braking after that point..

So dont believe the marketing hype .. its not automation. And not worth it if youre choosing to pay more for this feature

On the other hand, if you drive safely and sensibly instead of driving with no gap...................

So I contacted Mazda Australia and asked them about MRCC.

Their response - if there is no gap (in other words when there is no car in front) when you engage MRCC it will not stop if approaching a stationary car.

This is not correct. If I engage MRCC when traffic is clear, the car WILL slow/stop when I approach a car stopped at a red light (unless the Australia MRCC is different than Canada?).

I wouldn't trust what a call centre person would say. Read the manual

The 2017 doesn't behave the same as the 2015. There may be some confusion comparing the operation of different model years.

I guess this would be a good place to post the detailed description of the enhanced MRCC for the 2017 model.

View attachment 216898

Thanks for posting this, Anchorman!

Where did you find it? I'd like to see more "technical" documents regarding the car!

However, it's important to know if this doc applies to UK, US, EU, AUS [or wherever] vehicles, since there are so many regional differences. What is this one? Interestingly, it mentions the difference in max speed for operation [90 vs 124 mph], but not the difference in automatic resume. So it appears multiregional, but incomplete, judging by some of the comments in this thread.

It seemed funny [not haha] that the last sentence in the doc was "Radar unit determines that crash is unavoidable even if automatic braking is performed at maximum possible deceleration rate such as vehicle ahead performs emergency braking" just thrown in out of context.

On p.9 it mentions the difference in resumption as depending on whether autohold is on or not. So for a fuller understanding of what Mazda intends this system to do, I'd like to see the doc referred to on "autohold".

Can anybody [Anchorman?] post it?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this, Anchorman!

Where did you find it? I'd like to see more "technical" documents regarding the car!

However, it's important to know if this doc applies to UK, US, EU, AUS [or wherever] vehicles, since there are so many regional differences. What is this one? Interestingly, it mentions the difference in max speed for operation [90 vs 124 mph], but not the difference in automatic resume. So it appears multiregional, but incomplete, judging by some of the comments in this thread.

It seemed funny [not haha] that the last sentence in the doc was "Radar unit determines that crash is unavoidable even if automatic braking is performed at maximum possible deceleration rate such as vehicle ahead performs emergency braking" just thrown in out of context.

On p.9 it mentions the difference in resumption as depending on whether autohold is on or not. So for a fuller understanding of what Mazda intends this system to do, I'd like to see the doc referred to on "autohold".

Can anybody [Anchorman?] post it?
Yes, they’re good aren’t they. They are produced by Mazda to support the various online manual websites. Mine are from the European portal but these technical documents are not regional, they will quote all variations so as to cover them all. There are hundreds of them and some are a few lines long while others are many pages depending on the subject. They are all exquisitely illustrated and often include schematic wiring diagrams. I agree, they would make a superb book if only Mazda would make them widely available. For now, here’s the one you’ve requested. My collection only scratches the surface but give me a try and I’ll see if I’ve got something of particular interest.

Yes, they’re good aren’t they. They are produced by Mazda to support the various online manual websites. Mine are from the European portal but these technical documents are not regional, they will quote all variations so as to cover them all. There are hundreds of them and some are a few lines long while others are many pages depending on the subject. They are all exquisitely illustrated and often include schematic wiring diagrams. I agree, they would make a superb book if only Mazda would make them widely available. For now, here’s the one you’ve requested. My collection only scratches the surface but give me a try and I’ll see if I’ve got something of particular interest.

For $$$, you can subscribe to Mazda's official service info site. It says "as low as $19.95" but that is for as little as a few hours. But if you HAD to get the info, that's one way.

https://www.mazdaserviceinfo.com

For $$$, you can subscribe to Mazda's official service info site. It says "as low as $19.95" but that is for as little as a few hours. But if you HAD to get the info, that's one way.

https://www.mazdaserviceinfo.com

On the European site, I can access the info for one hour for about $5. If I was going to pay $20, I would spend most of the day trawling the site to get the best value.

Thanks again! That answered a couple of questions I had about its behavior.

That hydraulic circuit diagram is breathtaking.

Works great. Stops my CX-5 well and does a gradual take off.

Also maintains a safe distance by vary speed and picks up other vehicles quickly when they merge into my lane or after I change lanes.

Note our version is the same as USA/Canada meaning driver input is briefly needed when the stop is longer than 3 seconds either by tapping the accelerator (gas pedal for USA/Canada peoples) or by pressing resume button.

I only use mine on the freeway when traffic allows. I guess I’m too old to rely on electronic to do things for me.

However in a couple of instances when slow traffic up front slowed me down I was able to get into the left lane and the system automatically picked up the speed so I was able to pass without touching the throttle. That was impressive. Generally I have to drive about 40-50 miles before traffic clears enough for me to engage the system.

That's when you're supposed to use it. I wouldn't call you old...maybe responsible? [emoji4]

That's when you're supposed to use it. I wouldn't call you old...maybe responsible? [emoji4]

I just grew up when drivers drove vehicles. I like new tech but I’m set in my ways and when I’m behind the wheel I am the Captain and not some electronic nanny.

Thanks for the compliment.

I only use mine on the freeway when traffic allows. I guess I’m too old to rely on electronic to do things for me.

However in a couple of instances when slow traffic up front slowed me down I was able to get into the left lane and the system automatically picked up the speed so I was able to pass without touching the throttle. That was impressive. Generally I have to drive about 40-50 miles before traffic clears enough for me to engage the system.
(thumb)

I use it every day to and from work in rush hour traffic. Speeds 0-70. I find that when I change lanes to pass, I sometimes take over with the accelerator as I'm changing lanes to guard against the possibility that a slowing car in my lane will cause me to enter the new lane going to slow and be a nuisance to the car behind me. This is probably only about 1 in 10 times. Once in my new lane I just take my foot off the gas and let the system take over.

I also change the distance between 2 and 3 depending on traffic flow. 4 if traffic is extremely light which is very rare for me.

I find the system works great and seems to give me great fuel economy. I'm getting 29.5 right now driving almost exclusively in stop and go traffic. This was the number 1 feature that made me decide to upgrade to a new car from my stone age Wrangler.

I use it every day to and from work in rush hour traffic. Speeds 0-70. I find that when I change lanes to pass, I sometimes take over with the accelerator as I'm changing lanes to guard against the possibility that a slowing car in my lane will cause me to enter the new lane going to slow and be a nuisance to the car behind me. This is probably only about 1 in 10 times. Once in my new lane I just take my foot off the gas and let the system take over.

I also change the distance between 2 and 3 depending on traffic flow. 4 if traffic is extremely light which is very rare for me.

I find the system works great and seems to give me great fuel economy. I'm getting 29.5 right now driving almost exclusively in stop and go traffic. This was the number 1 feature that made me decide to upgrade to a new car from my stone age Wrangler.

That is excellent mileage for stop and go.

The other day on a highway trip of around 20 miles or so I achieved 35.7mpg. That was with the ac on.

These engines, if driven the right way will deliver excellent fuel economy. Right now my total avg is 28.3 and that is with a lot of short trips. I’ve found that the computer is within a few tenths of the numbers I get computing the mileage manually.

Back