Disable Mazda Radar Cruise in CX-90?

:
2024 CX90 PHEV Premium Plus
Is there a way to disable radar cruise control from the steering wheel, so “normal” cruise control is activated? The manual describes how to use radar cruise. There’s a separate section on how to use cruise control. But unlike my CX9, the manual doesn’t state how to switch between the two modes. In my CX9, you could press and hold the cruise main button. It seems in the CX90, you have to go into settings to disable it. Am I missing something?

Edit - typo

Last edited:
Yes, you can deactivate it in settings. I was hoping I could deactivate it from the steering wheel like I was able to in my CX9. So it seems like every time I want to use cruise control, I will have to go into the menu. At least it doesn’t take more than a few seconds. Just a little obnoxious…

Curious, why would you want to disable?

i’ve never been in a situation where I can use it for an extended period of time. Other cars will cut in front of me and take up the space. When that happens, the car brakes too aggressively and I don’t want to unintentionally piss off people behind me.

in low speed, thin traffic, it works fine. There are a couple of stretches of rural road around here that are 2 lanes that it works. But on crowded highways, it’s not ideal.

i’ve never been in a situation where I can use it for an extended period of time. Other cars will cut in front of me and take up the space. When that happens, the car brakes too aggressively and I don’t want to unintentionally piss off people behind me.

in low speed, thin traffic, it works fine. There are a couple of stretches of rural road around here that are 2 lanes that it works. But on crowded highways, it’s not ideal.
It's disappointing to hear that ACC is still extremely sensitive with the brakes on the CX-90. With my CX-5, there is no in between. It's either cruising down the road or slamming on the brake at any detectible vehicle going 2 mph slower.

Shame, it's one of the worst turnoffs to these Mazda vehicles.

I'm not seeing any trouble with the cruise control. I would bet that in States where people drive aggressively and always on your tail or cutting in front too close that is an issue. States that come to mind from my driving experience include NJ, NY, PA, DE, MD, FL. Not seeing that behavior that often in southern VA.

I'm not seeing any trouble with the cruise control. I would bet that in States where people drive aggressively and always on your tail or cutting in front too close that is an issue. States that come to mind from my driving experience include NJ, NY, PA, DE, MD, FL. Not seeing that behavior that often in southern VA.
Yep, this is pretty much it. Even when I leave 5 car lengths in front of me, people still feel the need to merge right on my front bumper. The worst are the “never miss my exit morons” who camp in the passing lane and then cut across three lanes at the last minute to get their exit. That’s happened to me a couple of times. Fortunately, I was never rear-ended by a following car but I came pretty damn close onevtime.

Like I mentioned above, in low speed, thin traffic, it works fine. There are a couple of stretches of rural roads around here that are 2 lanes that are OK to use it. But on crowded highways or long distant trips, it’s not ideal. 90% of the time I don’t want it on.

Last edited:
Greetings - This is my first post BTW. I have a CX-90 Select with over 10K miles on it now.

I turn off the radar cruise just about every time I start the car - kinda a pain. The problem I have with it is when I approach a slower moving car ahead of me, it nicely "locks -in" to the new lower speed but then when I pull over into the left lane to pass the car in front, the car accelerates too fast IMO. I'd rather "cancel" the cruise as I approach the slower car, change lanes, pass the car, move back into the right lane ( if it's clear ) and then hit "resume" - much smoother transition and I'm sure it doesn't affect my gas mileage as much, also.

I too am deactivating the MRCC any time I might use cruise control. I just drove from Seattle to Corpus Christie and found the MRCC really obnoxious. One example … on interstate freeways, when driving in the left lane and approaching a semi in the right lane, a mild left curve causes the MRCC to “think” the semi is in front of me which would cause it to hit the brakes, even though the truck was one lane over. It also leaves more room than I prefer between me and a vehicle in front of me, thus inviting other vehicles to merge between us, causing more abrupt braking. Using basic cruise control, the speed adjustment and resume buttons on the steering wheel work just great.

Back