2017 CX-5: Initial Review

There is nothing you can do by touching the screen that you cannot do by using the controller knob. The issue with the touch screen getting disabled while driving shouldn't be an issue; it is a safety feature as others have already mentioned. If you feel the urgent need to touch the screen, pull over so as to not endanger other people on the road.

Ok. So I finally created my user account just so I could make my FIRST POST to ask Pipemajor to PLEASE post some pictures of his new ride! Looking to purchase a new 2017 CX-5 around Memorial Day and the Eternal Blue would be my first choice, but alas, there are none with the AWD/Premium package to be located in the KC metro area. Just wondering if I should go with my second choice of the Snowflake pearl just to be able to find something locally.

Hi everyone, I'll also introduce myself in the intro section.

There is nothing you can do by touching the screen that you cannot do by using the controller knob. The issue with the touch screen getting disabled while driving shouldn't be an issue; it is a safety feature as others have already mentioned. If you feel the urgent need to touch the screen, pull over so as to not endanger other people on the road.

Can you enter an actual address in the nav with the controller knob? I haven't had a passenger try that yet while moving.

Can you enter an actual address in the nav with the controller knob? I haven't had a passenger try that yet while moving.
I don't think you can enter an address while moving, at least not in the 2016 model. You would have to stop to do this I think, though I could be wrong. If you were asking if it is possible to enter an address using the controller knob in general, yes, it is easy to use it to select the letters to type out the address.

I have the same system in my CX-3 and I can enter an address while driving using the controller knob, so I would think You can do the same in the CX-5.

Not sure if the commander knob is practical with Navi usage, but for everything else its all gravy.

Ok. So I finally created my user account just so I could make my FIRST POST to ask Pipemajor to PLEASE post some pictures of his new ride! Looking to purchase a new 2017 CX-5 around Memorial Day and the Eternal Blue would be my first choice, but alas, there are none with the AWD/Premium package to be located in the KC metro area. Just wondering if I should go with my second choice of the Snowflake pearl just to be able to find something locally.

Hi everyone, I'll also introduce myself in the intro section.

Unless you want some nightime shots, you'll have to wait for this weekend. I'm going to wash it tonight then get to take it on my first non-local drive Saturday. I'll be back in town Sat afternoon.

At age 65 I'm not much of a 'spirited driver' but in Sport Mode it seems pretty peppy. Mine is too new to romp on it for now.
BTW, the car did come from Iowa and had 280 miles on delivery - so yes, they did drive it up here but they knocked a grand off the list price.
Good to hear it has some go [emoji3] They probably should have lowered the price a little bit more

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Or just use the voice commands function

As a 16 owner with 10K miles on mine - here is a big big plus for 2017

Front Grille
On my 16 its plastic - looks horribad and the 17 is metallic. Superb looking. Realized how good it looks when i saw a 17 in flesh this morning.
Yrwei - you better listen to your wifey and get a 17! it is just a million miles better than a 16. Hopefully they have fixed the windshield too.
The 17 grille is plastic too. At least it is on my GT with the premium package . I suppose the grille may be different on the ones without the radar badge, but I doubt it. The whole front end is plastic, including the lip in front of the hood, the "chrome", and all the body color area forward of the front quarter panel seams (at the front of the wheel wells).

The 17 grille is plastic too. At least it is on my GT with the premium package . I suppose the grille may be different on the ones without the radar badge, but I doubt it. The whole front end is plastic, including the lip in front of the hood, the "chrome", and all the body color area forward of the front quarter panel seams (at the front of the wheel wells).
Nothing new there. Pretty much all Mazda grilles are plastic

Nothing new there. Pretty much all Mazda grilles are plastic
Right, and quite a few other cars are too. I wasn't mentioning it as a criticism, just as a fact. Bumper covers have been plastic for a long time on lots of cars. The advantage of doing the whole front end plastic is that you can have all the sweeps and corners and curves you want without worrying about how you're going to fabricate the metal that way. Also no rust. I guess the disadvantage is that if an impact that breaks the plastic would have only dented metal, replacing the whole front end is probably more expensive than repairing the dent in metal.

Last edited:
As a 16 owner with 10K miles on mine - here is a big big plus for 2017

Front Grille
On my 16 its plastic - looks horribad and the 17 is metallic. Superb looking. Realized how good it looks when i saw a 17 in flesh this morning.

Yrwei - you better listen to your wifey and get a 17! it is just a million miles better than a 16. Hopefully they have fixed the windshield too.
I'll definitely listen to my wife getting an 2nd-gen CX-5, but it'd be a 2018 hopefully MNAO will tweak some features such as no headlights with DRLs after sendinding comments at their website. After all I couldn't find an exact 2016.5 CX-5 I've been wanting anyway. AWD is scarce and hard to find in Texas, and MNAO is no longer taking orders on 2016.5 CX-5 which I was hoping my dealer could do.

Yeah with the use of acoustic glass on new CX-5 I hope the new windshield is stronger after Mazda has received so many complaints about it worldwide.

Honestly I prefer the simple-and-clean design of 2016's grille. And I appreciate it more whenever I do the car wash! (whistle)

I'll definitely listen to my wife getting an 2nd-gen CX-5, but it'd be a 2018 hopefully MNAO will tweak some features such as no headlights with DRLs after sendinding comments at their website. After all I couldn't find an exact 2016.5 CX-5 I've been wanting anyway. AWD is scarce and hard to find in Texas, and MNAO is no longer taking orders on 2016.5 CX-5 which I was hoping my dealer could do.

Yeah with the use of acoustic glass on new CX-5 I hope the new windshield is stronger after Mazda has received so many complaints about it worldwide.

Honestly I prefer the simple-and-clean design of 2016's grille. And I appreciate it more whenever I do the car wash! (whistle)

Great minds think alike! I'm leaning towards waiting for 2018 MY too. But it depends on when it will become available. Is it a fair assumption that Mazda will get back on its tradition of releasing new models one calendar year in advance, that is, 2018 MY will be available by the end of this year?

Great minds think alike! I'm leaning towards waiting for 2018 MY too. But it depends on when it will become available. Is it a fair assumption that Mazda will get back on its tradition of releasing new models one calendar year in advance, that is, 2018 MY will be available by the end of this year?
Us 2017 owners will work out the kinks for you guys and get the TSBs populated [emoji6]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Us 2017 owners will work out the kinks for you guys and get the TSBs populated [emoji6]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You get the idea :) We certainly owe you folks royalty. But then you should be happy to have enjoyed the HUD and other goodies for 1 extra year than 2018 owners.

Back