Dumb Rear Lights Question

:
2016.5 Touring w/Tech
I looked in the manual but couldn't find any clear mention of this, so I'll ask you...

What are those red, reflector-like lights on the outside bottom edge of the rear bumper, built into the black plastic panel? If they're meant to light up, I can't figure out how.

I should add that I read somewhere that that were rear fog lights, but if so they don't seem to light when I turn on the front fogs.

I looked in the manual but couldn't find any clear mention of this, so I'll ask you...

What are those red, reflector-like lights on the outside bottom edge of the rear bumper, built into the black plastic panel? If they're meant to light up, I can't figure out how.
They serve different purposes in different markets due to different regulations. In US they serve as rear red reflectors required by DOT. By doing so car manufactures can eliminate the red reflectors normally designed into rear light assemblies which then can be used in non-US markets without such requirement. In Europe the rear fog light is required but not rear reflectors. Car manufactures use one of these bumper light locations as rear fog light. A single rear fog always located on the driver side. For LHD countries the rear fog is on the left and for RHD countries the rear fog is on the right. Rear fog has different icon and additional toggle switch built into front fog light switch. Most vehicles feature 2 separate fog light icons in the instrument cluster, to warn you the front and rear fog lights are on. But Mazda chose to eliminate these fog indicators for US market to save some cost.

cache.php

You can get some kits to convert them to additional running/brake light

They serve different purposes in different markets due to different regulations. In US they serve as rear red reflectors required by DOT. By doing so car manufactures can eliminate the red reflectors normally designed into rear light assemblies which then can be used in non-US markets without such requirement. In Europe the rear fog light is required but not rear reflectors. Car manufactures use one of these bumper light locations as rear fog light. A single rear fog always located on the driver side. For LHD countries the rear fog is on the left and for RHD countries the rear fog is on the right. Rear fog has different icon and additional toggle switch built into front fog light switch. Most vehicles feature 2 separate fog light icons in the instrument cluster, to warn you the front and rear fog lights are on. But Mazda chose to eliminate these fog indicators for US market to save some cost.
Fascinating! Thanks, I had no idea they were designed like that for different countries. I actually had my daughter stand behind the car the other night as I threw switches and turned the lights on and off trying to get these things to light up. :D

cache.php

Wow, fog light on indicators in the dash? Whodatunkit?

Thanks for the explanation Yrwei52

I've had rear fog lights in my last 3 cars (Saab, Saab, Saab). I can count on one hand the number of times I used it. Other then to brake check someone. Saab would only put one light in but, as Yrwie said, they had a socket on both sides for different markets. So you could install 2 rear fogs.
Mazda might be saving money...Saab was wasting it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

See how the rear fog operates in this video at 2:12 mark. Notice the front and rear fog indicators been turned on in the lower right side of dash along with headlights on indicator to the left:

attachment.php

attachment.php

IMG_9819.PNGIMG_9820.PNG

cache.php

rear reflectors are still there for the non-US cars that have rear fog lights... they just happen to be "combination lights"
there are height/visible angle requirements in regulations, which is why the rear reflectors are not built into the tail lights... if there's no such rule, then auto makers would be doing that still, like they had before

Behind a Rogue at night just now. Noticed they have the same reflectors.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Behind a Rogue at night just now. Noticed they have the same reflectors.
Not just Rogue, almost all foreign and domestic CUVs as long as they also exist in European market are doing the same thing.

Yeah, it's funny. Ever since I wondered "what the heck are these?" on mine, I now see these reflectors almost everywhere, at least on imports. Never paid much attention or really noticed them on other cars before.

Back