New 2017 CX-5 Revealed

oh, you gotta love car salesmen.
I entered my email address into the Costco Auto (purposely gave a bad #) and just got the following email:

"Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the CX-5 Grand Touring, we do have the vehicle available at this time."

Yeah, probably a 2016.5 but that's not what I asked for. (shady)
*delete*

certainly still looks to be that way now that the official feature, mpg and pricing it out.

someone had the audacity in this thread or was it another to say apples and oranges the crv and cx5 and how they didn't compete. im still LOL on that.
now that everything is official, just on paper alone the crv is already the winner. we have to wait on official reviews to see by how much. but feature spec the crv is the winner. esp for those potential crv owners only opting for the top of the line touring model. Nice thing about the top of the line cx5 is it comes with nicer and bigger wheels. so unless the handling, braking, and other driving dynamics is at least 2x superior than that of the new 17 crv (because offical test already show its superior than the first gen--i believe see car and driver reviews), then it wont have much to really brag about. its ok that the cx5 comes in 2nd fo this generation's competition--or maybe 3rd because the new rav4 is pretty good.

I had the audacity!
Go "fun to drive" the CR-V.
There isn't any comparison to my eye.
Oh yea, nice shift on the CR-V. Not with my hand...!

Well, there's a TON of accessories that can be potentially be added at the dealership. The total I mentioned above is with the HUD, heated rear seats, etc., premium package, so that's what I'd consider fully loaded. You don't have to be a Costco member to see what the prices available are.

To see what I saw, go here, and put the zip code 75051 in at the front page:
https://www.costcoauto.com/new_cars/

Man that must be nice (bow)

All we can get up here in Canada through Costco is Fords...

Well, there's a TON of accessories that can be potentially be added at the dealership. The total I mentioned above is with the HUD, heated rear seats, etc., premium package, so that's what I'd consider fully loaded. You don't have to be a Costco member to see what the prices available are.

To see what I saw, go here, and put the zip code 75051 in at the front page:
https://www.costcoauto.com/new_cars/

6 speed manual...*hnnnng* (hump)

Manual....it's inferior to automatics these days.

I'm just sitting here laughing, and yes my previous car that I drove for 8 years was manual.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

hmm...
tried logging into my Costo account but since the Auto Program is an external site, I'm still not seeing costco prices.
I don't know what kinda Costco website witchcraft you got going on over there shaendra but I'm not seeing what you're getting.

any chance you can price out
AWD GT
Premium package
And just for fun:
trailor hitch reciever
cargo cover
illuminated door sills

thanks shaendra.

Btw, I got an email from the SD-area dealer... if you want to try out the Costco thing (can't remember if you said you have Costco membership or not), he wrote this:

I'd first off like to thank you for your online purchase request on a Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring through our Costco Auto Buying Program. We pride ourselves in being transparent and delivering excellent customer service and we have created a process that is as easy as::

-Schedule a test-drive
-Go over your vehicle preferences
-Go over Costco Pricing (Below invoice)
-Sign paperwork and be out in less than 1 hour!

If I can have a few minutes on the phone with you, I'd like to discuss the CX-5 Grand Touring you're looking for so I can provide you with the proper information. Please call me when you have a spare moment. I promise to keep it brief and to the point. Our number 619-XXX-XXXX please ask for ABC.

That is literally what we went through with the (2016) Tacoma purchase. I think we got it for something like $1,200 below invoice.

Manual....it's inferior to automatics these days.

I'm just sitting here laughing, and yes my previous car that I drove for 8 years was manual.

My previous car had a DSG transmission. Its like having the world's fastest shifter making perfect fast shifts every time all the time. Not as fun but not as laboring in bumper to bumper traffic.

My previous car had a DSG transmission. Its like having the world's fastest shifter making perfect fast shifts every time all the time. Not as fun but not as laboring in bumper to bumper traffic.

Double clutch transmission is pretty violent in the most aggressive setting. I can feel slip all the way through third gear when I am standing on the accelerator.

That being said, I get the intangible feeling of "being one" with your car in a manual. It's very subjective. Arguing for it in a factual, empirical way just isn't a winning position these days.

That being said, I get the intangible feeling of "being one" with your car in a manual. It's very subjective. Arguing for it in a factual, empirical way just isn't a winning position these days.

My first vehicle was a 1979 Chevy LUV (little pickup). It had ZERO automatic anything. Windows with cranks, 4-speed stick, non-power steering, door locks shaped like golf tees that you pushed and pulled. I DEFINITELY felt "at one" when driving it. I mean, I could feel the road through the steering wheel. It was an extension of me. Next vehicle was a 1992 Ranger with power steering, but still manual transmission. At first I was sad to lose the "control" and connectedness of the power steering... until the first time I maneuvered into a parking spot. Kinda got over it at that point.

Now it's a point of nostalgia anymore. Some things evolve and improve. Others just change and leave good memories. I miss manual transmissions, but not THAT much, anymore. Not owned a stick in about 2.5 years.

Last edited:
I have only done 1 service - my advice to all potential buyers is pay $$$ extra but develop a relationship. Mazda dealers seem to be less interested in doing service - the one i went to was a gold cup whatever. Had no intention of using Mazda Moly and wont entertain simple small services. I never had this problem with my old Toyotas cause they just run like a rock - never any problem but the Mazda build quality is a notch lower and you will need your dealer for firmware / car issues.

I am currently hoping my 2nd service at a new dealership would be better. I will ask what i want and walk out if it does not work my way. I may even do a DIY even though the most mechanical thing i ever did was clean my mass air flow sensor on my corolla ONCE.

thanks shaendra, I think I'll wait for them to hit showrooms (which should be soon since MNAO is 10 minutes from where I'm sitting) and then I'll go recon the Costco prices.
I'm still holding out for a Diesel though but I'd like to get an idea as to what the real cost difference will be between the two.

ahhhh, a trip down Memory Lane.
My first M/T Mazda was a 1986 Mazda B2000 with power NOTHING. I loved that truck.
The only manual in my garage now is my '05 RX-8 which I would never ever have considered getting in anything but a Manual Transmission but a daily driver Crossover, I'll take an automatic all day, every day and twice on Sunday. :) (especially in SoCal traffic)

Another TFLcar video from the San Diego press event yesterday:

Not as informative as the stream of the press briefing in my opinion, but a few tidbits about AA/Carplay "coming," and in response to a question about why don't they put the CX-9 4-cyl turbo engine into the CX-5, Mazda reps only respond that "it fits."

Sounds like test drive reviews are embargoed until Monday, so we should get to read a lot of them on that day.

Not as informative as the stream of the press briefing in my opinion, but a few tidbits about AA/Carplay "coming," and in response to a question about why don't they put the CX-9 4-cyl turbo engine into the CX-5, Mazda reps only respond that "it fits."

Sounds like test drive reviews are embargoed until Monday, so we should get to read a lot of them on that day.

As a potential 2017 buyer, that turbo comments certainly makes me pause. i.e. it wouldn't surprise me if the 2018 version has a version of the turbo.

As a potential 2017 buyer, that turbo comments certainly makes me pause. i.e. it wouldn't surprise me if the 2018 version has a version of the turbo.

By 2019 I expect the 2 engine choices will be the NA Skyactiv2 engine and a Turbo engine. Question is at what displacement will the Turbo engine be? If it were up to me 2.0 Turbo at 190HP 220Tq would be good power and still deliver good MPGs.

I interpreted it more as, "we have no plans for it, but theoretically, the turbo engine fits!"

By 2019 I expect the 2 engine choices will be the NA Skyactiv2 engine and a Turbo engine. Question is at what displacement will the Turbo engine be? If it were up to me 2.0 Turbo at 190HP 220Tq would be good power and still deliver good MPGs.

I interpreted it more as, "we have no plans for it, but theoretically, the turbo engine fits!"

Both good points. Either way I have to remind myself that there will always be better engines/tech in the future. Part of buying cars.

Both good points. Either way I have to remind myself that there will always be better engines/tech in the future. Part of buying cars.

THIS.
We develop technology SO quickly these days that you can't really 'future proof' your purchases anymore because as soon as you buy that new car or cell phone, you know there's a better one already in the works.
Heck, if not we'd all be holding out for the SkyActiv 2 motors. And then Turbo engines. And then SkyActiv3...

Does it suit my needs today? Will I still be happy with it down the line?
If so, proceed. :)

Back