Yokahama Geolander G91 OEM tires junk! 800 miles

ctbale

Contributor
:
2022 CX9 Tourin
So I purchased my 2016 CX5 Touring in March 2016 in Portland. Put 500 miles on it and then kissed it goodbuy in April when I went to Alaska for the summer. I put it in a storage unit in Portland (Vancouver wa actually) The unit had some venting, and I left all tires at 35psi. I never really did any extended highyway driving in the first 500mi and never went above 60mph. So yesterday I got back from alaska, all tires had 33psi, aired em up to 35 and headed east. Just got done driving 300 miles and always over 60-65mph .... hopp, hopp, hopp. not crazy intense but it was enuf for me to write this post and consider replacing them. Not interested in battling with Mazda or "joke-a-hama" for a warranty claim cuz I would just get another set if I prevailed. I put firestone destination LE2s on my beater 2003 honda element a year ago when I had it down here in the lower 48 and that thing is pin point accurate, smooth, quiet and stable. I might just pony up the $600 and get these rags off before I see any snow. heck, might be able to get $25ea on craigslist. The only thing I can think of is it got hot in the storage unit and they flat spotted. I got the cx5 with like 45psi in all 4 tires (yea, nice pre delivery inspection huh?) and I read that mazda sent the cx5 out the factory door like that to to prevent flat spotting. I leave vehicles all the time for up to a year, never happened before. maybe these are pron to this happening. might get the balancing checked, not a likely cause, factory balancing is ussually as good as it gets!

all comments welcome

Last edited:
7 months sitting in one spot at a low 33-35 pressure is pretty hard on them, but they should come back. Is there any way that you can inflate them to 45 before storage, or put car on stands?

I would think a tight suspension, like the one on the CX-5, will have a greater tendency to transfer the vibrations to the driver than other more loose/comfort cars would.

Nevertheless, I would be in contact with Mazda North America if my 800 mile tires were flatspotted.

This is my 3rd set of G91A's, and I did 30k on each of the previous sets, and have never had an issue.

Hope that the vibration works its way out for you with a few more heat cycles...

Last edited:
I’ve just run a set off that were part worn when I bought them and the only comment I would have about them after now fitting the Yokohama winter tires is that they were noisy. I would have looked into it a bit more before doing anything irrational.

Yokahama Geolander G91 OEM tires junk! 800 miles

So I purchased my 2016 CX5 Touring in March 2016 in Portland. Put 500 miles on it and then kissed it goodbuy in April when I went to Alaska for the summer. I put it in a storage unit in Portland (Vancouver wa actually) The unit had some venting, and I left all tires at 35psi. I never really did any extended highyway driving in the first 500mi and never went above 60mph. So yesterday I got back from alaska, all tires had 33psi, aired em up to 35 and headed east. Just got done driving 300 miles and always over 60-65mph .... hopp, hopp, hopp. not crazy intense but it was enuf for me to write this post and consider replacing them. Not interested in battling with Mazda or "joke-a-hama" for a warranty claim cuz I would just get another set if I prevailed.
The O.E. Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 100H tires on CX-5 Touring are rated only at 280 B A on UTQG and low 44 psi maximum inflation pressure. I agree sitting your tires for 7 months with factory recommended tire pressure +1 shouldn't get flat spots! I had Michelin Premier A/S on our VW Passat once sitting on the outdoor under North Texas hot and cold severe weather for two years and resulting no flat spots! But this is at least $600+ business I'd still call Yokohama customer service and see what they can do. May be they're willing to sell you different and much better Yoko tires such as AVID Ascend 225/65R17 102H (740 A A UTQG and 51 psi maximum inflation pressure) with deep discounted price if you insist you won't take another set of crappy Geolandar G91A!

O.E. tire warranty is covered by tire manufacture, not by Mazda North American Operations.

I agree with mazdadude. I have ~ 29,000 miles on my G91 and like them. I will not replace them however; due to the price when compared to other good tires. ed

I would have most likely been successful with yohahama on a warranty claim. 11 yokahamas on tirerack, the avid acend would have been my first choice. But looking at all of them, I would probably would have taken a free set of g91s. Non of the all season yokahamas were even close to these destination le2 tires as far as snow and ice. I live in Alaska and come down to snowy areas each year. I love what these tires did for my 2003 Element so I have piece of mind at least. $50 coupon and no sales tax in Montana so it cost $550. Will update tonight. The speed limit is 80 here in Montana!!! Maybe now I can enjoy the ride!!!!

My post last night got deleted, hmmmm. So I am in the middle of a trip from the West coast to MN. I pulled the trigger and put on the Firestone destination le2 tires yesterday. Drove a few miles on i90 (80mph!!!). FIXED!!!!! I didn't have the time or patience to bicker with yohahama over a moderate "wobble" only to prevail and the prize would be a set of tires I didn't really like, especially for winter driving.. I will update tonight after driving all day today. Hope my mileage stays OK. I have a Honda ct70 in the back, a dog, tools, gear etc, est 800lbs w/me and I have averaged 27.4 mpg. I bet if I was light, doing 60, I would be getting 30 no problem. I really like this car!!!!

My post last night got deleted, hmmmm. So I am in the middle of a trip from the West coast to MN. I pulled the trigger and put on the Firestone destination le2 tires yesterday. Drove a few miles on i90 (80mph!!!). FIXED!!!!! I didn't have the time or patience to bicker with yohahama over a moderate "wobble" only to prevail and the prize would be a set of tires I didn't really like, especially for winter driving.. I will update tonight after driving all day today. Hope my mileage stays OK. I have a Honda ct70 in the back, a dog, tools, gear etc, est 800lbs w/me and I have averaged 27.4 mpg. I bet if I was light, doing 60, I would be getting 30 no problem. I really like this car!!!!

Thanks for the update! Completely understand your situation and "PRIZE". :)

Did you save the old / new tires?

Do you enjoy the Honda Trails? I enjoy repair/restore/resell ct70,ct90,st90's...

kinda got the honda obsession myself!! builds on the left

http://s267.photobucket.com/user/ctbale/library/?sort=2&page=1

Finished the trip, but about 200 miles after bozeman must have thrown a weight. almost un-drivable at the 80mph speeds, wheel was shaking, no weights on front left! idiots at firestone (in)complete auto care!! went to costco in fargo, they re-balanced all 4 wheels for $25. brand new costco, brand new balance machine, even smoother now. did I say anything good about firestone complete auto care? if I did, I take it all back

about 100 miles after fargo, my instrument cluster lit up, see new thread!

Back