Maybe the AWD system ISN'T so crappy!(followup video)

:
2014 CX-5 GS AWD
Alright so a couple weeks ago, I posted on the forum titled "AWD system is kinda crappy..." (http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123855228-AWD-system-is-kinda-crappy)

Me and a friend took his 2016 CX-5 GT AWD out on some backroad trails, and it could not overcome a level twist ditch situation. We tried everything but it couldn't move past it. I complained that his previous 2010 Outlander with the base AWD system made it past it easily. A couple of you chimed in and said I should try again on an incline, and try a few things different such as activating the wipers, since Mazda claims when the wipers are activated, it alters AWD parameters. So...today I tried it, and I made a video about it! I left everything on, including Traction Control, put it in D, and put the pedal about 3/4 down and left it there. It was another twist ditch, but much more tricky, it had 2 wheels off the ground 2 times, and I put it to the test. Here's the video:
PS: Sorry about my voice, I got a nasty cold.
Let me know what you think!

Also: yes I did scrap the front bumper a bit, but the ground was thankfully soft and did no damage.

The most challenging terrain for my wife's CX-5 might be a cobblestone road up to a castle. LOL! Good to see what it's capable of if we actually needed it.

I typed this up on my Smartphone using Tapatalk [emoji12]

Thanks for sharing. I hope your CX-5 wasnt damaged in the process.

If the throttle was left at 3/4 for the duration of the ditch-run, what is happening to the internals when the Mazda is sitting there thinking of what to connect/disconnect next? Pretty soon there will be a heated-up, burnt-out, thing-a-ma-jig. Not sure that this sits well with me. Those of you in the know, what parts are spinning, slipping, and heating up when the throttle is at 3/4 and the vehicle isn't moving?

Nice. Just a thought though. The wipers were needed to engage because it wasn't cold out right?

If the throttle was left at 3/4 for the duration of the ditch-run, what is happening to the internals when the Mazda is sitting there thinking of what to connect/disconnect next? Pretty soon there will be a heated-up, burnt-out, thing-a-ma-jig. Not sure that this sits well with me. Those of you in the know, what parts are spinning, slipping, and heating up when the throttle is at 3/4 and the vehicle isn't moving?

Traction control was doing it's thing. The engine wasn't lugging or anything, though the pedal was far down, doesn't mean thats how much throttle the engine produces, because traction control neuters driver input to an extent. As you can hear in the video, the car was not over revving at all. Plus the car was cold(the blue light was still on) so it would've taken a lot longer to heat up.

You broke the rule of experimentation though! You did several things all at once ;-)

It looked like you were turning the wheel which dropped the right wheel down on the deck. You also started the turning after just revving it a few moments and putting the wipers on. The wheels need to spin in order to get the traction control to grip the spinning wheels. It would be nice to see spinning wheels straight ahead, then turning steering wheel then wipers but never together unless all ales fails.

Brilliant video though.

My experience is that the AWD is fine. It's the vehicle that has problems. It was NOT made for any sort of rough terrain. It was made for gravel roads at the very worst.

My experience is that the AWD is fine. It's the vehicle that has problems. It was NOT made for any sort of rough terrain. It was made for gravel roads at the very worst.

Right. I wouldn't want to take my cx5 off roading anyway. I think the cx5 awd is best with the most common scenarios that we experience as drivers on a daily basis. Wet pavement, occasional snow, etc. It's not meant for the 1-2 times you may go off roading. I believe you've said it before in comparison to your Jeep. The cx5 was very good at catching the vehicle slipping and the quick response of the vehicle.

You broke the rule of experimentation though! You did several things all at once ;-)

It looked like you were turning the wheel which dropped the right wheel down on the deck. You also started the turning after just revving it a few moments and putting the wipers on. The wheels need to spin in order to get the traction control to grip the spinning wheels. It would be nice to see spinning wheels straight ahead, then turning steering wheel then wipers but never together unless all ales fails.

Brilliant video though.

Or...did I actually try a variety of things separately, all at once? Going up the big part, Wheels pointed straight, nothing was happening, I tried turning the wheels to see if that would make the AWD system do something else, then I turned wipers on and kept waiting, a few seconds after it started slipping in the back which means that the rear wheel with traction was gaining power, however due to the incline and angle of the vehicle, it was slipping sideways so eventually the car would've been pointing straight on, then all 4 wheels would have equal traction, yes? So I counter steered to make sure the car would still be on an angle so the system would still have to work hard. There was a method to my madness :)

Nice. Just a thought though. The wipers were needed to engage because it wasn't cold out right?

I figured out the wiper thing a while ago in another thread. The AWD system uses multiple inputs to decide how much torque to transfer. I found that turning on the wipers (intermittent) made the ECU think that the ground was wet and uses a different algorithm for engaging the AWD .. It has worked for me ond others and this video proves it works! Thanks!!

The outside temp sensor when reading below 35* assumes the ground is snow covered and also helps with traction! It's part of Mazda's "Intelligent" predictive vs reactive AWD system.

I will add that "I" would probably not use as much throttle as OP did. I've seen other videos where the best traction was achieved with less throttle (RPM) as it gave the system time to work/engauge.

I figured out the wiper thing a while ago in another thread. The AWD system uses multiple inputs to decide how much torque to transfer. I found that turning on the wipers (intermittent) made the ECU think that the ground was wet and uses a different algorithm for engaging the AWD .. It has worked for me ond others and this video proves it works! Thanks!!

The outside temp sensor when reading below 35* assumes the ground is snow covered and also helps with traction! It's part of Mazda's "Intelligent" predictive vs reactive AWD system.

I will add that "I" would probably not use as much throttle as OP did. I've seen other videos where the best traction was achieved with less throttle (RPM) as it gave the system time to work/engauge.

The videos and your experience confirms what I thought, in the Mazda video a CX-3 or CX-5 on stops on incline and turn the wheel sharp left or right with the wipers on the algorithm switch to thinks your stuck in snow and transfer torque to rear, check Mazda video where they have competitor do exactly that on hill.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just fit a "lock" switch, fitted to both xtrails i've owned since 2004. Now sold.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just fit a "lock" switch, fitted to both xtrails i've owned since 2004. Now sold.

That is one reason I was curious about the rear wiper have an impact. If that has an effect it could be used for that. More often than not turning on wipers during dry times has the obvious undesirable effects.

The wipers do not engage the AWD, they only influence the amount of drive (it is variable). They took a conscious decision not to add an AWD switch as they built in enough automation that the driver doesn't need to think about it.

Manufacturers have plans to completely do away with manual gearboxes and handbrakes to take away the weak link.

Back