2016 Touring vs Grand Touring

cx5ryan

:
2013 Ford Fusion SE 1.6T
Hello Peeps!

I am currently debating weather to get the Touring with Tech package and bose/moonroof package or just to get the Grand Touring. Ofcourse price/value is imporant to me. Can someone please shed some light on the differences please.

Thank you,

Ryan

So the touring with those packages comes out to be 30,100. And the GT with the tech package is 31,855. So you can do the math on the difference. I compared the two options when looking but as soon as I saw that the touring would be over 30 grand mrsp, I just jumped up to the GT. Figured if I'm paying for 30+ grand car, it better be for the GT.

I think if you do the math the Touring with tech will come out to be about $30 cheaper per month. They are basically identical where it matters the most: Engine HP/Torque, transmission, brakes, Adaptive Auto leveling LED headlights/ LED daytime lights, LED fog lights, Blind spot monitoring, moonroof, and BOSE, Navigation, Auto dimming mirrors with Homelink, rain sensing wipers, choice of paint colors. power driver seats.

The 2 significant differences are the GT gets 19 inch wheels and real leather. The GT allows you to also get the I-active sense package which are some extra fancy safety features. That package would likely put the GT to about $60-$80 more per month.

If you are going to change your wheels anyways and don't mind not having real leather then the Touring with Tech seems the logical answer.

Last edited:
Other reasons to consider a GT: Dual Zone Climate Control, Heated Seats, Defrosting Side Mirrors.

If those options aren't important to you, a Touring might suffice.

Thanks for the info guys. Really appreciate it.

The "real" leather isn't super imortant to me, but i do kind of like the 19" wheels. But i guess i could always change wheels down the road if I decided to. I do want LEDs and the safety features. .... Do they both come with safety features like "Lane Assist" or "adaptive cruze" or the breaking when coming up behind someone automatically (forgot what they call that).

Touring (here at least) also comes with Rear Cross Traffic Alert and blind spot monitoring

Thanks for the info guys. Really appreciate it.

The "real" leather isn't super imortant to me, but i do kind of like the 19" wheels. But i guess i could always change wheels down the road if I decided to.

In case you don't already know, I'll mention that tire price and selection is much better in the 17" rims than 19". Also, the 17" rims have considerably less rotational inertia which improves acceleration and MPG's in stop and go situations. That's why I ordered a Touring model even though I was disappointed I couldn't get leather seating with it. For me the difference was all about the lighter wheels and larger selection of replacement rubber. I didn't want to hassle with swapping wheels on a new vehicle.

I have a "16" touring, with the packages offered, did Not want leather and dual climate control was a take it or leave it

I purchased a 2014 Touring FWD in the summer of 2013.

In the summer of 2015 I traded my 2014 for a 2016 GT AWD. I always felt I was missing something and for just a few more $ I figured why not get a loaded GT. I'm very happy I made the switch and left nothing on the table.

imo Touring with the Bose/Moonroof is the absolute sweetspot in pricing and necessary options

In case you don't already know, I'll mention that tire price and selection is much better in the 17" rims than 19". Also, the 17" rims have considerably less rotational inertia which improves acceleration and MPG's in stop and go situations. That's why I ordered a Touring model even though I was disappointed I couldn't get leather seating with it. For me the difference was all about the lighter wheels and larger selection of replacement rubber. I didn't want to hassle with swapping wheels on a new vehicle.
Makes sense what you say about the 17" wheels vs the 19"s. thanks for the info. ... so did you get the fake leather in your touring or the cloth?

I purchased a 2014 Touring FWD in the summer of 2013.

In the summer of 2015 I traded my 2014 for a 2016 GT AWD. I always felt I was missing something and for just a few more $ I figured why not get a loaded GT. I'm very happy I made the switch and left nothing on the table.
lol... well atleast you got your car in the end. ... i guess if you're going to do it, might as well do it right.. right :)

imo Touring with the Bose/Moonroof is the absolute sweetspot in pricing and necessary options
I agree , that is a sweet spot. then its just the whole "is it worth it to get the tech package" thing. lol :)

Makes sense what you say about the 17" wheels vs the 19"s. thanks for the info. ... so did you get the fake leather in your touring or the cloth?

I would never get vinyl seating surfaces - but I don't think that was even an option. I like the cloth, the way it feels and it's initial warmth in the winter but decent leather is more durable and easier to keep nice. That said, my cloth seats still look brand new after 3+ years and I've never done anything special to them.

I would never get vinyl seating surfaces - but I don't think that was even an option. I like the cloth, the way it feels and it's initial warmth in the winter but decent leather is more durable and easier to keep nice. That said, my cloth seats still look brand new after 3+ years and I've never done anything special to them.

Aren't there some makers selling some models with leatherette/pleather AKA "vinyl" surfaces?

I hear ya. i don't usually have to have leather. i usually opt for a good cloth. .. but this time around i'm feeling like leatherette or leather might suit me well.

Aren't there some makers selling some models with leatherette/pleather AKA "vinyl" surfaces?
yeah, alot of manufacturers are going with leatherett. even high end cars light bmw and infiniti are doing it. some of it is decent quality.

There are a lot of cars that are using a leatherette material. I remember reading somewhere that about 60-80% of all Mercedes come with MB-Tex which is their synthetic leather. I really wouldn't call them vinyl as they are much nicer then the vinyl from the 70's and 80's. The cx-5 leather is also a coated leather, so it's much easier to care for and lasts longer then non coated leather. It's just not as simple. Real leather is a pain to care for that needs cleaners and conditioners.

As far as touring vs GT it came down to id rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. I guess I don't need some of the things but they are nice to have, heated side mirrors, adaptive cruise control, dual climate,

There are a lot of cars that are using a leatherette material. I remember reading somewhere that about 60-80% of all Mercedes come with MB-Tex which is their synthetic leather. I really wouldn't call them vinyl as they are much nicer then the vinyl from the 70's and 80's. The cx-5 leather is also a coated leather, so it's much easier to care for and lasts longer then non coated leather. It's just not as simple. Real leather is a pain to care for that needs cleaners and conditioners.

As far as touring vs GT it came down to id rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. I guess I don't need some of the things but they are nice to have, heated side mirrors, adaptive cruise control, dual climate,

thanks for your reply..... personallly i don't mind letherette. i want bose and moon roof.... and i have to have the 2.5 ltr .. other than that im reasonably flexible. :)

thanks for your reply..... personallly i don't mind letherette. i want bose and moon roof.... and i have to have the 2.5 ltr .. other than that im reasonably flexible. :)

Faulk seats: Mazda's faulk leather in my 2016 6 gets a thumbs up for me. Its breathable and supple for being faulk yet retains the ease of care. Much better material than what VW or BMW uses.

BOSE: Okay I have to admit I was really criticizing the BOSE system like many people were. Why? Well no subwoofer. There's no low end bass that can bring the boom. I've recently gotten into listening to introductory low tier audiophile headphones such as Sennhieser Momentums, Audio Technica M40x's, and Sony MDR V6's. Headphones with excellent sound quality. Long story short I've gain a better appreciation of how BOSE can use cheap materials to produce pretty good sound quality.

Moonroof: I have no use for the moon roof and wish I didn't have it.

Faulk seats: Mazda's faulk leather in my 2016 6 gets a thumbs up for me. Its breathable and supple for being faulk yet retains the ease of care. Much better material than what VW or BMW uses.

What in the flying hell is "faulk leather"? No faulks were killed to make this interior. I opted for the GT because I think the interior looks like a million bucks. All my previous daily drivers had cloth upholstery. Just wanted that look for a change. Also wanted the XM radio.

Back