2016 Mazda CX5 vs Mazda 6?

molocono

:
2016 Mazda CX5
I'm trying to decide between a 2016 Mazda CX5 (Grand Touring) and Mazda 6 (Touring).
Both are great vehicles and I'm just having a hard time making a decision.
Just wanted to hear your thoughts on these two vehicles.
My last car was a SUV so I like that type of ride, but I like the fuel economy of a sedan and its price point.

Mazda6 and CX-5 are fairly different... I guess it depends on what your lifestyle is like. Do you have children? Will you utilize the space? How much do you care about "good" gas mileage?

I picked the CX-5 over other Mazda vehicles because I liked sitting up higher, using the space for camping / hauling things / in case I need it, it looked more stylish, and the handling was great. I haven't test-drove the 6, but I did for the 3, and preferred how the CX-5 "felt" when driving it as opposed to the 3. It varies on driving style, but I average about ~23mpg. Not great, but not awful, either.

I think posting on this side on the forum will have some biases, though, so keep that in mind. :p

i'm trying to decide between a 2016 mazda cx5 (grand touring) and mazda 6 (touring).
Both are great vehicles and i'm just having a hard time making a decision.
Just wanted to hear your thoughts on these two vehicles.
My last car was a suv so i like that type of ride, but i like the fuel economy of a sedan and its price point.

cx-5.

Just like you mentioned I enjoy sitting up higher and the overall feel of this type of vehicle.
I also think I prefer the style of the CX5. Kinda don't see myself in a sedan.
Don't have kids yet but we're planning to in the next couple of years. Don't wanna focus too much on that, though, since it won't happen for a while.

I just traded in my 2011 Mazda6 GT for a 2016 CX-5 GT. While it's only been 5 days so far, I'm very happy with my decision and love the CX-5.

I mainly got the CX-5 for the AWD. The 6 didn't do well in the snow and I'm considered an "essential employee." I need to go to work no matter what. The last couple of years I ended up borrowing my father's Santa Fe whenever it snowed. That became impractical so I started shopping for my own SUV/CUV. If I didn't "need" AWD, I would've gotten a new 6 GT.

I just traded in my 2011 Mazda6 GT for a 2016 CX-5 GT. While it's only been 5 days so far, I'm very happy with my decision and love the CX-5.

I mainly got the CX-5 for the AWD. The 6 didn't do well in the snow and I'm considered an "essential employee." I need to go to work no matter what. The last couple of years I ended up borrowing my father's Santa Fe whenever it snowed. That became impractical so I started shopping for my own SUV/CUV. If I didn't "need" AWD, I would've gotten a new 6 GT.

You don't need AWD for snow - you need snow tires.

You don't need AWD for snow - you need snow tires.
That's true. But AWD always helps with or without snow tires! :)

To OP, if your last car was an SUV, you should get the CX-5. Gas mileage is great for the CX-5. A couple of friends who bought the CX-5 and told me it used less gas than their previous 4-cylinder Accords! Our AWD CX-5 averaged 26 mpg with all city driving.

That's true. But AWD always helps with or without snow tires! :)

To OP, if your last car was an SUV, you should get the CX-5. Gas mileage is great for the CX-5. A couple of friends who bought the CX-5 and told me it used less gas than their previous 4-cylinder Accords! Our AWD CX-5 averaged 26 mpg with all city driving.

cx-5 is an impressive cuv, i love the handling ,very stable and flat around corners ,has precise sporty handling and im averaging 33mpg hwy/city mix,
on top of that it has space for two kids and enough space to haul plenty of gear/stuff in the back.

Last edited:
Fuelly says ~26 MPG on average for the CX-5, compared with ~31 MPG for the 6.
However, it sounds like you don't like a sedan. So, why the hesitation?

Back