Mazda component lifespans?

My g/f has a 2016 Mazda CX5 and I am in the process of determining if it's worth keeping. It has around 100k miles, and generally has had an easy life.

I think the only repairs have been factory recommended services while under warranty. After warranty it's just been getting oil changes mostly. Did a set of brakes and rotors. It rides well and the struts are likely fine but there's a vibration that needs looking into.

I'm generally handy with cars and the question is basically when can one expect items like alternator, water pump, etc to start doing off?

Any other comments regarding long term ownership of this car are welcome.

Regards!

As somebody who just lost their ‘13 in a wreck, your ‘16 is absolutely worth keeping. I needed new shocks at 80k miles to fix a drivability issue at highway speeds (car was swaying left and right due to a blown shock), but I did all new shocks and struts while I was at it.

If the alternator or water pump fails, it fails. Slap a new one on there and keep on going. I can think of only a few reports of alternator and water pump failure. It’s much cheaper to replace those IF they fail vs tossing a whole car out to buy a brand new one.

Get the vibration sorted. Replace the spark plugs if you haven’t already (90k interval?), prepare to replace the radiator fluid at 120k miles. Have the serpentine and water pump belts changed if that hasn’t been done already. You’ll be good to go!

Upvote 0
Can you be more specific about the vibration? When does it happen, how bad is it, etc.?
2016 was one of the best years for the CX-5. Basically bulletproof.

Have a 16 along with a 19.

Upvote 0
As somebody who just lost their ‘13 in a wreck, your ‘16 is absolutely worth keeping. I needed new shocks at 80k miles to fix a drivability issue at highway speeds (car was swaying left and right due to a blown shock), but I did all new shocks and struts while I was at it.

If the alternator or water pump fails, it fails. Slap a new one on there and keep on going. I can think of only a few reports of alternator and water pump failure. It’s much cheaper to replace those IF they fail vs tossing a whole car out to buy a brand new one.

Get the vibration sorted. Replace the spark plugs if you haven’t already (90k interval?), prepare to replace the radiator fluid at 120k miles. Have the serpentine and water pump belts changed if that hasn’t been done already. You’ll be good to go!
I was thinking more inline of preventative maintenance if something is known to fail at 150k.

The more I learn about this milk driver the more I'm into it.

Upvote 0
Can you be more specific about the vibration? When does it happen, how bad is it, etc.?
2016 was one of the best years for the CX-5. Basically bulletproof.

Have a 16 along with a 19.
I rarely drive it. It's definitely front end related. It presents as a vibration in the steering wheel and a pull to the left. No curb impacts etc. Haven't had time to wiggle things yet but its not at a catastrophic level yet. Just don't want to blow the rubber off it as they are only 1 year old. So this will be a priority when I am back in town.

Upvote 0
Not only should you definitely keep her, you better marry her real quick before she gets away since she's smart enough to own a 2016 Mazda! 😁👍

A 2016 is (almost) best one made. Only thing better would be a 2016.5 touring model. Speaking of trim, what trim level is it? There have been some issues I've heard of the LED daytime lights with the tech package having issues.

Another thing to be aware of if you're in an area of the country with lots of harsh winters that the state uses salt brine is under body corrosion.

A 2016 cx5 is about bullet proof as you get and way better than you can expect these days with current models. A solid performer. They're easy to work on as well.

Upvote 0
Not only should you definitely keep her, you better marry her real quick before she gets away since she's smart enough to own a 2016 Mazda! 😁👍

A 2016 is (almost) best one made. Only thing better would be a 2016.5 touring model. Speaking of trim, what trim level is it? There have been some issues I've heard of the LED daytime lights with the tech package having issues.

Another thing to be aware of if you're in an area of the country with lots of harsh winters that the state uses salt brine is under body corrosion.

A 2016 cx5 is about bullet proof as you get and way better than you can expect these days with current models. A solid performer. They're easy to work on as well.
I showed my g/f your comment. I guess we are getting married now and she's got a big head.

She said, "See, I did my research, I've even got an Excel spreadsheet on it"

Upvote 0
... It's definitely front end related. It presents as a vibration in the steering wheel and a pull to the left. ...
First thing I'd do to diagnose is rotate the tires front to back to see if the vibes/pull follow the wheel/tire or stays in the front (confirms or eliminates the wheel/tire). Inspect brakes and other bits whilst you're in there.

A quick follow up... how do you differentiate the 16 from the 16.5 model year?
This explains it pretty well ...

https://news.mazdausa.com/2015-12-1...ndard-features-best-selling-compact-crossover

... I've even got an Excel spreadsheet on it"
🔥 That's so hot 🔥 😆

Upvote 0
I rarely drive it. It's definitely front end related. It presents as a vibration in the steering wheel and a pull to the left. No curb impacts etc. Haven't had time to wiggle things yet but its not at a catastrophic level yet. Just don't want to blow the rubber off it as they are only 1 year old. So this will be a priority when I am back in town.
get the alignment checked and the wheels balanced as a starting point

Upvote 0
First thing I'd do to diagnose is rotate the tires front to back to see if the vibes/pull follow the wheel/tire or stays in the front (confirms or eliminates the wheel/tire). Inspect brakes and other bits whilst you're in there.
We live in the mountains, winter tires are going on soon. I think it's supposed to snow tonight. haha For real. I'll swap tires and see if that changes anything. If so I'll re-balance the summers. I might check the winters for balance first too.

I had a look at this and really it didn't help me at all... haha I don't know if there's navigation, there is a fairly large screen. It has a sun roof, heated seats, back-up camera... (Edit: And AWD)

I ran the VIN on a decoder and it says it's a Touring/GS trim.
I also had the gf send me the door tag! It's manufactured earlyish for a 2016, 06/15.

Upvote 0
After more reading and your guys input, here's where I am at:

Keep the car
Do a vacuum out tranny oil change(none of that "flush BS)
Clean the injectors
New Plugs
Check out front-end issue and repair + alignment + tire balance

Bob's your uncle.

Upvote 0
After more reading and your guys input, here's where I am at:

Keep the car
Do a vacuum out tranny oil change(none of that "flush BS)
Clean the injectors
New Plugs
Check out front-end issue and repair + alignment + tire balance

Bob's your uncle.
Do the engine and cabin filters too. They're easy and cheap.

Reactions: nil
Upvote 0
We live in the mountains, winter tires are going on soon. I think it's supposed to snow tonight. haha For real. I'll swap tires and see if that changes anything. If so I'll re-balance the summers. I might check the winters for balance first too.

I had a look at this and really it didn't help me at all... haha I don't know if there's navigation, there is a fairly large screen. It has a sun roof, heated seats, back-up camera... (Edit: And AWD)

I ran the VIN on a decoder and it says it's a Touring/GS trim.
I also had the gf send me the door tag! It's manufactured earlyish for a 2016, 06/15.
If the CX-5 is a Touring and it has heated front cloth seats, your girlfriend should have a 2016.5 CX-5. 2016.5 CX-5 Touring is the only MY came with the heated front seat on cloth. Then the 6/2015 manufacture date contradicts that and it’s a 2016 CX-5 as the 2016.5 MY started in 2/2016.

Can you tell if the CX-5 has LED headlights?

Upvote 0
If the CX-5 is a Touring and it has heated front cloth seats, your girlfriend should have a 2016.5 CX-5. 2016.5 CX-5 Touring is the only MY came with the heated front seat on cloth. Then the 6/2015 manufacture date contradicts that and it’s a 2016 CX-5 as the 2016.5 MY started in 2/2016.

Can you tell if the CX-5 has LED headlights?
I did a google image search of my photos (love that function) and I found a random picture of the car. Excuse the grill and fender, she's been hit and run twice now. I'll be going after that as well. And yes, she was stuck. Anyone with lift kit ideas let me know... lol

So these are some kind of LED projector headlight by the looks of it to me. It does have heated cloth seats.
IMG_0831_20220109_142002.jpg

Upvote 0
My g/f has a 2016 Mazda CX5 and I am in the process of determining if it's worth keeping. It has around 100k miles, and generally has had an easy life.

If you don't have any likely high-$ candidate maintenance items needing doing soon, I'd certainly keep it.

Over the past 40 years, I've had several vehicles. Including three Mazdas. They've each been durable and well-made, with a minimum of issues. Even more reliable than a couple of Hondas I've had.

Had a 1996 Miata that I truly flogged in the winding mountain roads in my region. After 150Kmi it still looked nearly new, and ran exceptionally well. Of course, my maintenance style is fairly aggressive, which keeps ahead of the maintenance curve. (Can't easily cope with getting stuck in the boonies, along some of the routes I took with that Miata, as it would have meant many 30-50mi hikes back to "civilization.") About as error-free as a car can get, actually.

While I haven't had my 2016.5 CX-5 for very long (third year), it's going well. Nothing's failed outright, except the serpentine accessory belt (which was overdue). Typical maintenance items have come along at the expected times. (Brakes, belts, fluids, filters, battery, etc.) With north of 110Kmi on mine, now, it's nearing time to take a harder look at the engine bay's hoses and "rubber" bits, and I'm watching the suspension components closely. Just a matter of time before the hoses bushings begin to show degradation. Cooling system is in good shape. Brake lines, calipers, seals have remained good. The transmission is still fine. I fully expect the car to last a good long while (another couple of decades), particularly as these days I'm much more sedate and easy-going with vehicles.

... there's a vibration that needs looking into. I'm generally handy with cars and the question is basically when can one expect items like alternator, water pump, etc to start doing off?

IMO, the CX-5 is one of the great cars, in terms of reliability and low general maintenance costs. But mechanicals and "rubber" bits do age and need to eventually be replaced. I'd say that the printed schedule (from the manual) is a fairly good estimate for inspection and replacement of things. Was on the Miata, the Model 3, and appears to be so with the CX-5.

The one surprise I got was when the serpentine (accessory) belt went south, and the belt and tensioner needed replacement; hadn't been replaced in a timely manner. Next time around (in another 50Kmi+), I'll likely also get the water pump done. I don't imagine that the alternator's likely to go anytime soon, but it's easily enough replaced.

As for that little vibration you're having, have you determined under what conditions it occurs? While idling the car in neutral? While applying the brakes? While driving at certain speeds? Likely to simply be an out-of-round or flat-spotted tire, tire balance, or a warped brake rotor. Could be loose suspension or steering components, but those ought to be easily identifiable by any shop. But without knowing more about when it happens, ...

Big-ticket items can include suspension + bushings, transmission, and of course the actual engine itself. But most of the other bits and pieces tend to be durable and generally occur where you'd expect them in any maintenance regimen.

If that car you speak of has led a mostly "easy" life, and it's treated well, IMO there's little reason to not expect it to last for many years to come without high maintenance costs. Just keep up with the basic, to-be-expected standard maintenance most any vehicle requires, and you're likely to experience a minimum of costs out of the blue. Mazdas generally are pretty decent, that way.

If looking to keep some costs down, assuming you've got the time and basic tools to do the jobs, one can easily DIY the spark plugs, filters, brakes, suspension arms, shocks, suspension bushings, along with all the fluids of course. Hoses can be a bit of a pain here and there, but most are simple enough. The water pump, radiator and alternator can be a bit of a pain, but still are DIY grade items if you're willing. A good independent shop might save you quite a bit on costs as compared to a Mazda dealership, depending on where you area, if wanting a shop to handle some of the "bigger" items for you.

In short: IMO, the CX-5 is a very good car and, if well-treated and maintained, it is likely to last decades at a cost (of maintenance and ownership) far lower than many other cars.

Upvote 0
Numerous state here that production start date of 2016.5 was 12/2015

Upvote 0
There were so few changes on the .5 model that it's not even worth trying to figure out, honestly. And I say this as a .5 owner. lol

Agree with Yrwei. Your date clearly shows it as a 16.

Upvote 0
There were so few changes on the .5 model that it's not even worth trying to figure out, honestly. And I say this as a .5 owner. lol

Agree with Yrwei. Your date clearly shows it as a 16.
100% reached this conclusion that it's wasted time already...

... but my OCD tendencies are bothering me now because everything points to 16.5 except the door date!

Attachments

• IMG-20230914-WA0002__01.jpg
    IMG-20230914-WA0002__01.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 49
Upvote 0
⋯ So these are some kind of LED projector headlight by the looks of it to me. It does have heated cloth seats.
View attachment 322435
No, the projector headlights in picture are the regular halogen headlights. The LED headlights on Gen-1 2016 / 2016.5 CX-5 have the LED accent strips / halo’s as the DRL / parking lights. Here’s my 2016 LED headlights with amber parking lights disabled.

939BC14E-44FA-4F84-BC10-3CA686E7D2B8.jpeg

FD8A4E4C-4958-4406-B14E-86116576624E.jpeg

0B55A2A2-0F39-4170-8AC1-1FFAD642159B.jpeg

Are you in Canada? When I said heated front cloth seats are only on 2016.5 CX-5 Touring but that’s applicable to US market. Canadian GS trim equivalent to US Touring can have heated cloth seats for many model years.

Upvote 0
Back