Subwoofer placement idea

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 GT
I was scouting around briefly last night looking for a spot in the back area to mount a subwoofer. I've looked at some of the compact units (Kicker Hideaway and a Kenwood one), but there really isn't much room under the front seats, especially with the vents down there.

I do woodworking as a hobby, so I need my cargo space, so I don't think the placement in the spare tire area will work for me (plus it might just rattle the crap out of whatever I've got in the back as well). Plus I'm sure it would accumulate lots of junk in the cone, even with a screen.

I could make some custom boxes for the sides, but there are a few issues to overcome (cargo light replacement, parking sensor switch, etc), nothing really difficult, other than getting the necessary volume in the enclosure. I did see the rear door.

My (possibly) stupid idea would be to mount a subwoofer on the rear hatch, pointing towards the front of the car. I have not done any investigation about the structure behind the plastic covering, etc, so it may have some real problems (i.e. don't want to cut any metal, cable runs, rattles, etc). Has anyone ever done this to any hatchback in the past?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

I have never done that. but can say in my opinion not to do it. how about removing the spare tire and placing it there? I think I saw someone here post pictures and it looked pretty good. It would be ideal to put a sub close to you like maybe under the seat. the closer it is the less power it needs to sound good. same goes for house subs (you don't put them at the farthest corner of the room).....

Do you want something that's really going to sound good? Or just something with a little more bass?

Spare tire sub? Gen-poo MS3 had one similar from the factory which likely sucked. Aftermarket alternatives like the pioneers have got to be better you'd think.
attachment.php

2014-01-12 14.45.55.jpg

Here's a pic of what I did. I had my system except for the sub installed at a car audio store, and I had asked about the hatch, and he told me not a good idea because of all the added weight, when you try and open and close it it would be a problem. I didn't have him install the sub because he was going to do a fiberglass enclosure and I didn't want to spend he money so had a friend build this box out of MDF. Put in the Alpine 8" Type R because it's not expensive, has really good reviews and works in a very small enclosure. Stuffed it with polyfill and it sounds quite good, never put a sub under the seat but I'm pretty sure this is significantly better. Also, not blocking access to the taillights.

there are some threads about this. I put mine in a box that goes over the spare tire well. If you are a carpenter you can make something like this easily. It's MDF and there is about 2-4 inches of clearance underneath.
HN62xDO.jpg

clZK0G1.jpg

wNTjXc4.jpg

kpxAVE7.jpg

HzGft0V.jpg

View attachment 207273

Here's a pic of what I did. I had my system except for the sub installed at a car audio store, and I had asked about the hatch, and he told me not a good idea because of all the added weight, when you try and open and close it it would be a problem. I didn't have him install the sub because he was going to do a fiberglass enclosure and I didn't want to spend he money so had a friend build this box out of MDF. Put in the Alpine 8" Type R because it's not expensive, has really good reviews and works in a very small enclosure. Stuffed it with polyfill and it sounds quite good, never put a sub under the seat but I'm pretty sure this is significantly better. Also, not blocking access to the taillights.

Ah.. the weight on the hatch, very good point. I have a 12 year old Tribute that barely holds up the hatch as it is. And that is a great idea for an enclosure, easily moved if necessary. I'll think about that a little while. I had also thought about incorporating some of the cargo area lighting ideas from the forum into the enclosure as well.

deuce, thanks for that picture. I hadn't run across anything like that before.

Chris, I had seen your setup, and it is a great idea. I'd guess it sounds pretty good, since you have plenty of room for the enclosure and plenty of mass as well. Just in my case, I want to keep a flat bottom to the cargo area, and I'd probably get a lot of residue to fall into the speaker cone.

I will install mine in the spare wheel. I have already sealed the spare wheel holes, with a 6" rubber gasket and made a 6" "washer" over it. I have bolted them down, with a hex head screw, for better clearance for the sub. I will put an MDF over it, cut the hole for the 10" sub.
I'm thinking of drilling and tapping four 1/4-24 threads in the spare wheel and I will be using threaded rods to hold down the MDF.
I'm not sure about the height yet, but I may have to raise a bit the factory floor, to clear the sub.
I need my trunk area myself, that it was the main reason of buying this vehicle.

I was scouting around briefly last night looking for a spot in the back area to mount a subwoofer. I've looked at some of the compact units (Kicker Hideaway and a Kenwood one), but there really isn't much room under the front seats, especially with the vents down there.
Thanks in advance for your comments!

I installed the Kenwood (KSC-SW11) under the passenger seat without any interference and without blocking the vents at all. The unit mounts on the floor to the outside of the vent area.

A 10" JL Audio shallow sub, installed in a MFD and strapped to the spare wheel:
attachment.php

20141019_123350.jpg

Last edited:
I installed the Kenwood (KSC-SW11) under the passenger seat without any interference and without blocking the vents at all. The unit mounts on the floor to the outside of the vent area.

How do you like the sound of the KSC-SW11? I've been thinking of picking one up to add a bit more depth to the low end. I'm not looking for booming bass just a bit more then stock. What's your impressions?

Inspired by tibimakai :). Using the spare tyre as a sealed enclosure.

I am wondering whether some holes on the plastic trunk deck which is about 2cm from the subwoofer paper cone are required for the bass to come out or not?

y3mayEt06ufvme0fO-vo9-prBHB9RnWfjctG54mgQ2HzVhMuVEXysoJf6wL4mCaDZv5UvyFPe_WamWAxWXjODpxgsEtIv0NWIntEy9Rvlm98eE2fdt-MIKY5y7T-KFSA2Pd_RYdChzw86fcVmDOSXyxQZL7bHAOwywJxciIDUSXD4U

y3m5ADuBbjWZa-EWIgqfT17MtB5vMOs_QE7cK6UhpEIsMTjgyEPsvjVWdOHq4Y86nYV671xffMz36E0HZ1Tpj3DwYJ1VhiToN87_OZfqLvUkuVkDPYFOO1hy5o93irV1ST7c_y8k_6UL-rmcD2oaLIuuCrHNUw-dLXdHz5JvNjNRME

Nice setup you have there. How do you seal it, against the steel wheel?
Believe me, the sound will come out, you don't have to worry about that.
Initially, I was thinking about drilling a couple of holes in the steel wheel itself, to mount the top cover. I don't see a problem with that.
I have used straps, to test it out, but I ended up leaving it that way. I won't be going to shows with it, so I don't mind the look.
My setting on the Kenwood Excelon(5V output), is -10, no bass boost or anything like that. It is too powerful, if I go higher with the level, or add bass boost.
I have get rid of the plastic nut, because it is to tall. I have used a regular hex head screw. I have also added a wrench in my trunk, just in case, that I have to remove my wheel.
I'm surprised, that not to many go this route.

Last edited:
Back