Mazda the BMW of Japan?

I've also heard Mazda's described as a poor man's Audi. Audi seems to be where the old BMW drivers are looking now.

It always annoys me when things are referred to as "poor mans" versions.

I would bet a large number of CX-5 buyers could easily afford an Audi, they just don't see it being worth the extra and a Q5 only comes in with an average mpg of 23. And I'd worry about the reliability long term compared to the Mazda.

Maybe it is the smart man's Audi

I would bet a large number of CX-5 buyers could easily afford an Audi, they just don't see it being worth the extra and a Q5 only comes in with an average mpg of 23. And I'd worry about the reliability long term compared to the Mazda.

Gosh... /THREAD

This describes me perfectly, and my sentiments exactly.

I don't need the brand logo on the car to tell me I'm driving a 'good' car like the majority of the public.
What you paid $30k for a Mazda, why pay a few thousand more for a BMW, Acura, Audi, Infiniti...
Ppl just buy cars based on 'brand' & can't tell the difference bt a good handling car or not.
Or based on past reliability. My cousin's mechanic told him to buy a CRV vs CX5 based on reliability bc it's proven to last longer.
Hello, the new CRV is a year old, how you gonna prove it's gonna last longer? Just bc the previous models did?

Fully severed is not entirely correct, this still own 3% of Mazda and share tech information between each other.

ta240, correct!

I looked at audi,bmw,range rover evoque. well to be honest every 4x4 / suv / crossover on the market in the uk. the cx5 was the right size for me and you can't get that level of performance and economy south of 50,000 (and that is only the new diesel electric hybrid volvo) the fact it cost 23,000 well, that's amazing especially as Japanese built cars are supposed to be expensive due to the yen exchange rate.

the whole car is less 'bling' more style. the evoque styling is amazing, in white it reminds me of a star wars stormtroopers helmet, but it's too low for me.

re: ford comparison, in the UK Ford has a great reputation as a drivers car, of course in the USA with their other much larger products YM WILL V.

Fully severed is not entirely correct, this still own 3% of Mazda and share tech information between each other.

And they still have productive business relationship and partnership.

Love how the interior is a perfect balance between simplicity and tech

I completely agree. I thought the RAV4 and Escape interiors were too busy.

As for whether or not I would have considered a BMW or Audi, I have a great job in the tech industry and could have afforded one but I like the fact that I got a good value vehicle that I love and at the same time will have more money to spend on my other hobbies.

I am a convert. Still have my 335d but am amazed each time I get in the CX5. Mazda has done an incredible job on their new cars.

yes I am very surprised mazda can make this cuv drive like a car, this large of a car around 3200lbs is not bad, and 60/40 for a FWD.

you do get what you pay though, after driving my bmw or audi then the cx5, the cx5 just feel a little cheap, doesn't have the german thunk sound when closing the door. but these days with one Q5 or X3 you can buy 2 cx5s sports :)

also there are a lot of BMW owners on this forum and Miata owners :)

you do get what you pay though, after driving my bmw or audi then the cx5, the cx5 just feel a little cheap,

Man, I don't know. There are way more crappy plastic parts and garbage rubber seals in my BMW than you would expect for a car that had a $50K sticker price when new. I had to replace control arm bushings at 45k miles, valve cover gasket at 50k, half the cooling system at 60k... And while I do like the meaty clunk of my German door closing, I won't like it when I'm spending several hundred dollars to replace the window regulators in said door that will fail well before the ones in the CX-5.

Granted, I drive an entry level Bimmer, but still-- you might be getting what you pay for in engineering with a BMW, but I certainly don't think you're getting it in parts quality.

Imo, a lot of what you're paying for when you buy a BMW is the badge and roundel-- in that respect, you get what you pay for...

I traded in an '02 BMW with 70,000 miles on it, not much, especially for a BMW. I had replaced 3 window regulators, the power steering pump, valve cover gasket, and several front end components. None of those things, other than the gasket, came cheap. Prior to the BMW, I had a Mazda Millennia. Never had to replace any of those things on it, and it had 150,000 on it when I sold it. So, no, I hope Mazda doesn't turn into BMW. I like 'em just fine like they are.

yes those are the common failures, you also forgot the moonroof rails, oil filter housing, rear shock mount, manual shifter rebuild, I have 120K on the car still enjoy driving it, not worth to sell is only like 6-7K, I do all the work myself so the cost of ownership for me is not that bad, I know many BMW owner sell/trade in their cars for more reliable Japanese cars, yes I kind of agree that roundel in front do cost some extra $$.

Actually, what I was thinking was this:

Mazda is in the same spot that Audi was in the late 80's/early90's; making great, driver-oriented cars that didn't fly off of showroom floors. Audi wasn't exactly a luxury brand then, but more of an upscale brand. Look where Audi is now.

I see Mazda doing the same thing. They are seriously in the same exact position as Audi was, making slightly more upscale cars, with better quality, driveability, and looks than their competitors, but nobody would give them a chance. The CX-5 has been a success, and the 6 looks extremely promising.

I think with a new RX-7/RX-8 halo sports coupe, along with the MX-5, and the new 3, Mazda could start to "pull an Audi" and slide up the luxury ladder.

Perfectly said.

You guys are forgetting that Audi had VWs pockets behind it always, Mazda has no one. That's why the analagy with BMW in the 70s was made in the article. They were in the same spot as we are

Back