I need Help with this MSP headlight conversion on a P5!

M2P503

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
I need help with this MSP headlight conversion on a P5 most of the threads on here just show schematic drawings which are really confusing. Does any one have pictures of the actual MSP conversion? I have the Headlights installed i just need to hook up the Hi-beams with a Relay but thats alot easier said then done! I havn't seen any yet please post them when you have them and if you have the Fog lights How to stay on also that would be good thanks!

Last edited:
Wow there's no one on here that knows about that? That's really disappointing!

Last edited:
what happened to the schematic i sent you? doesn't get any more basic than that.

So you want crappier lights?
Please dont right stupid pointless stuff your not helping me out by making it worse. If you dont have anything productive to say then please don't say anything. Im not playing games here im really trying to get these fixed and your not helping me out by writing wise remarks!

I'd be interested to know what you come up with. I'm about to purchase some sedan lights (Matt V retrofits) for my P5, and I'm going to have to deal with the same issue.

M2P503 I really think you need to chill out. I think Brain was asking a prefect question. If I had a bunch of people give me resistance on something like you are getting, I would probably stop. But hey it's your car. Why would you want to do it is up to you but don't get pushy or bent out of shape when something so simple as "google" is at your finger tips. Practice your "Google-Fu" a little better next time.

Look at this first: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

http://www.mazdas247.com/members/njaremka/MSP lights on P5.pdf

When you see Billy in the Noob Afterlife tell Wallabe says Hellllloooo.

Now go back into this post and ask this question instead of making a new one.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-to-Protege)&p=5938979&viewfull=1#post5938979

Last edited:
Please don't write stupid pointless stuff your not helping me out by making it worse. If you dont have anything productive to say then please don't say anything.

Hey, In the time to took you to write that, you could have gotten out a multi meter and checked it yourself.

It's really simple..

There are 4 Bulbs in a Protege5.... and there are 4 Bulbs in an MSP...

You only need to split the wires... This isn't rocket science..

Now...... although not being in the DIY section ( which should be and I will write it if I have some extra time as I have the MSP in my garage still but "thewrench" already has done it forward and backwards......)

You did come in here a bit strong M2P503 expecting help and basically insulting members as no one posted. It's a simple procedure involving a multi meter to check for voltage. Get a test light as well. Very helpful tools that will get you through a lot.

I am confused though as you helped someone else to do this conversion in April and stated you did this to yours but you are posting afterwards that you need help? Just click on wallabe's link which ends in "PDF". That explains both to and from.

Your posts.....

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123814342-Headlight-convertion-(P5-to-Protege)

Yes i did my Headlight conversion on my 2003 Mazda Protege 5 with MSP Headlights the Headlights plug right in but the problem is seeing that on the MSP Protege Headlight the high beam and low beams are integrated together. So after you install the MSP headlights in your P5 you wont have High beam headlights at all. So your Going to need to buy a Relay switch at the Auto Parts store and connect them to your Headlights. Here is a Picture and Diagram on how to wire it .
MSPheadlight.jpg

All you have to do is tap in right off of the connectors with New wires from any Any Auto part store. Its a pretty basic install

What I get from this is you understood it and knew what to do. My question is what is confusing about it? If you are confused about wiring or how to wire it my suggestions to you are buy male and female h4 adapters for each side and convert inbetween so you don't cut any stock wires off your harness and follow the PDF. Thats what I would do......

===========================================

This is the reason why you need the relay and why the P5 and Sedan are different:

the sedan's headlight wiring is ground switched... which means 1 common power source, and 2 grounds which the control stalk controls

the P5's LOW beam wiring is power switched, and the HIGH beam wiring is ground switched... this makes it so that when you turn on the high beams, both low and high beams are on... you MUST undo this when you rewire it for the sedan's single bulb setup, otherwise you will burn up the bulb!

Some more interesting reading which I have to concur with "The Man". I have owned the sedan and now the P5. My sedan lit up the road better as well but to each their own. I prefer the P5 Headlights though because of the sidemarker delete and ease to retrofit when in a P5 using P5 stock wiring.

aesthetics and actual performance are two unrelated things

the P5 lights LOOK better, but actually perform worse than the sedan's headlights... the P5 lights have a very lazy cut off in the beam pattern and causes back glare in bad weather situations... the sedan's headlights follow the European beam pattern specification and have a VERY sharp cut off... this means visibility is good at all times

Last edited:
M2P503 I really think you need to chill out. I think Brain was asking a prefect question. If I had a bunch of people give me resistance on something like you are getting, I would probably stop. But hey it's your car. Why would you want to do it is up to you but don't get pushy or bent out of shape when something so simple as "google" is at your finger tips. Practice your "Google-Fu" a little better next time.

Look at this first: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

http://www.mazdas247.com/members/njaremka/MSP lights on P5.pdf

When you see Billy in the Noob Afterlife tell Wallabe says Hellllloooo.

Now go back into this post and ask this question instead of making a new one.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-to-Protege)&p=5938979&viewfull=1#post5938979
He wasn't asking a perfect question it was a really obnoxious and unnecessary stupid question. I did write in this thread that i did use the other How too's on the Headlight conversion and then some one saying something like you want crappier lights then? That's totally uncalled for and there's no reason to right something like that when im trying to find help for it. The guy is just being a jerk for the hell of it and there's no need for it. I have searched the forums a bunch of times on this thread and i did read the one from That guy called the Wrench before you even posted it and a few others and i even printed it out but i ended up realizing that the color codes for the wires where different on my car from what the directions were saying so i couldn't use them that's why i posted this thread as a last resort. Thanks for your time though and concern ill try and look into that Thread by the wrench again that you posted

Last edited:
Now...... although not being in the DIY section ( which should be and I will write it if I have some extra time as I have the MSP in my garage still but "thewrench" already has done it forward and backwards......)

You did come in here a bit strong M2P503 expecting help and basically insulting members as no one posted. It's a simple procedure involving a multi meter to check for voltage. Get a test light as well. Very helpful tools that will get you through a lot.

I am confused though as you helped someone else to do this conversion in April and stated you did this to yours but you are posting afterwards that you need help? Just click on wallabe's link which ends in "PDF". That explains both to and from.

Your posts.....

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123814342-Headlight-convertion-(P5-to-Protege)

What I get from this is you understood it and knew what to do. My question is what is confusing about it? If you are confused about wiring or how to wire it my suggestions to you are buy male and female h4 adapters for each side and convert inbetween so you don't cut any stock wires off your harness and follow the PDF. Thats what I would do......

===========================================

This is the reason why you need the relay and why the P5 and Sedan are different:

Some more interesting reading which I have to concur with "The Man". I have owned the sedan and now the P5. My sedan lit up the road better as well but to each their own. I prefer the P5 Headlights though because of the sidemarker delete and ease to retrofit when in a P5 using P5 stock wiring.

Yes i did help some body else out on this post with The Wrenches how to on it because that's the one that was given to me but that diagram doesn't say if those Positive negative leads get run straight to the battery or not that's the confusing part and theres no Numbers at all on those relays for the Diagram. Also i wasn't trying to insult any members it's just that sometimes when youve really done all that you can and some one writes some stupid wise remark for the hell of it it just makes things worse and i personally just dont need to here crap like that cause theres no need for it. I help who i can just as we all help out one another

Yes i did help some body else out on this post with The Wrenches how to on it because that's the one that was given to me but that diagram doesn't say if those Positive negative leads get run straight to the battery or not that's the confusing part and theres no Numbers at all on those relays for the Diagram. Also i wasn't trying to insult any members it's just that sometimes when youve really done all that you can and some one writes some stupid wise remark for the hell of it it just makes things worse and i personally just dont need to here crap like that cause theres no need for it. I help who i can just as we all help out one another

the numbering for the relay leads is in the pdf i posted. everything needed is in that pdf, including the parts list. i've built a couple of conversion harnesses from that document, and if you give me money, i'll do it for you too. it won't be cheap, though, and its really not that hard to do yourself.

the numbering for the relay leads is in the pdf i posted. everything needed is in that pdf, including the parts list. i've built a couple of conversion harnesses from that document, and if you give me money, i'll do it for you too. it won't be cheap, though, and its really not that hard to do yourself.
Thanks for posting that Thread Yes i did notice the number for the Relay Leads in that PDF but i wanted to ask you after you connect all th eWires to and from the Relay harness from the Headlight DO you have to run the Positive Wires to the Positive side of the Battery? I think that was my main down fall when i did attempt to wire it up. Let me know thanks!

Hey, In the time to took you to write that, you could have gotten out a multi meter and checked it yourself.

It's really simple..

There are 4 Bulbs in a Protege5.... and there are 4 Bulbs in an MSP...

You only need to split the wires... This isn't rocket science..
That's easier said then done. Im going to look at The wrench's how to thread again but the thing is do i need to run any of the positive leads to the positive battery from the relay at all?

Remember that not every member is on here 24/7 and can respond to everyones needs as quickly. Anyways......

That's easier said then done. Im going to look at The wrench's how to thread again but the thing is do i need to run any of the positive leads to the positive battery from the relay at all?

No and the diagrams tells you exactly where the power is coming from, self explanatory just look right above and below the diagram. It states " Connection On Car " right above the diagram meaning both the stock wire plugs ( H4 female plug and 9005 female plug ) and " New Headlight (H4) Connector ( looking at it from the rear of connector ) " right below the diagram ( which is an aftermarket H4 male plug ). You are using the same stock wires/plugs to power the relays. Like I suggested, buy both female and male H4 plugs and also a female 9005 plug for each side so you don't cut any stock wires. Ebay has them available for cheap.

If you remember that the P5 keeps the low beam on when the high beam turns on...... well that wire always stays on when you switch it on as you can see in the diagram. What you are essentially doing is when you power on or switch to the high beam, that positive power from the high beam powers the coil in the relay to switch the negative side from the low beam to the high beam negative so they alternate and not keep both on at the same time. If you failed to do this you would have both high and low beam filaments inside the bulb come on at the same time which will cause the bulb to heat up greater than it is expected to causing it to fail. Too much heat kills the bulb or reduces it's life span.

That is the reason an H4 bulb will alternate from high to low in a sedan as to why the headlamp is one reflector in an MSP/MP3/LX/DX/ES instead of the two reflectors in a P5. Since the bulb does not require a specific polarity meaning the flow of energy to be side specific as in negative and positive you can literally power it reverse polarity and you will still get a current to go through it to light the bulb. An LED is a different story and requires a specific polarity flow.

Remember the relay is basically a switch inside letting you choose two different paths when you energize the coil. When you add power to the coil inside it acts as a magnet pulling the lever towards it. When you cut the power you are demagnetizing the coil letting the lever go back to the other connection. There is a spring inside that keeps the lever away from the other contact. 87 and 87a is where you want the negative or even positive flow to go through. You can even use it as a switch to turn something off when you add power to the coil. The possibilities are endless with the relay. Just remember it is a powered switch. The Amps are what the Relay can handle.

relay.jpg

I will try making a how to on this as soon as I have a chance. I took pictures of my stock P5 wiring and my brothers now MSP that are in my garage to show what the differences are. Again as stated both Sedan and Hatch are wired differently in its headlamp wiring as to why one needs a relay when going to MSP Headlights in a P5.

Last edited:
Back