Winter tires help!

donnyiris

:
2009 CX-9 GT
I recently traded my 2008 Mazda 3 grand Touring with 148,000 miles. I have 4 tires/rims from tire rack they are winter tires. They are 16" rims will they fit my new 2009 Mazda CX-9 grand touring?> or should i crags list them? tires are 4 months old and in great shape.

Please advise if they will fit.

Not sure that I'd try to run 16's on a cx-9. Aside from fitment, check the load ratings. The 9 weighs like 1500-2000lbs more than the 3. I doubt your wheels/tires can handle that.

There is a MASSIVE difference in size between the two tires. The 16" tires from your 3 are around 25" diameter (205/55/16) and the CX9 comes with tires that are about 29.5" diameter (245/50/20 or 245/60/18). Aside from some of the other things you would have to check (load rating, wheel bolt pattern, brake clearance being a few), your speedometer would be off by 15-20%. When it reads 60mph, you'd actually be going around 50mph.

You can get a visual representation of the difference in sizes using a tire size calculator such as this one.

Tire Rack has a large library of tech articles, here is the article on tire sizes.

I would list them on relevant forums, craigslist, and ebay and replace with something more appropriately sized for the 9.

Back