zhy's progress followup [student budget!]

Today was a SUPER productive and a WONDERFUL day overall.
first of all, I hit the 160,000 km milestone (100'000 miles!), made me feel old!
secondo, secured myself a set of Tein springs & front KYB struts for MAD cheap (thanks jamie!)
third of all, i got accepted at the University of Sherbrooke (i LOVE chemistry) .. sooooooo stoked!!!
4th - did a few things today, went back to using VHT tint on my taillights, but only 1 coat, not 3 like previously, and used clearcoat to make it shiny!
How my tails were before (Yes, i did get tackled by the police lol)
kIpgc9L.jpg

Back to original
9YW7qcg.jpg

Wetsanded with 400grit
jZWOOqw.jpg

1 coat of VHT& clear + plastidipped front mazda badge!
x3Tru2N.jpg

Kitty i snapped earlier today and i just had to post it! Yes, shes missing a leg!
5MImYVS.jpg

Also got myself a set of amazing wheels for cheapo, still wondering what color I should paint them :) .. this summer will be amazing!
edubveT.jpg

Also, i fixed my !%?&"/"& annoying rattling hatch with some insulation foam
nJbzf9A.jpg

inb4 rage about my matress cover

Last edited:
The new wheels look awesome. I'd really love to find a similar set myself.

Did a throughout cleanup of my p5 today! vacuumed + cleaned all plastic parts & windows with my Armorall stuff
also decided it was time to complete the blackout of my car!

Plastidipped the window control bezels & door handles
O3OfSoK.jpg

Boom! overall interior. All she needs now is a window tint!
FRmlrue.jpg

2zz6pV8.jpg

^ Ratty box? :)

Also, let me know how the plastidip on the door handles holds up... I've been debating doing that, but I'm worried about it wearing quickly.

nice how lower are those gonna bring u?
do you need the struts to lower or cant you do it without them?

Tein takes the p5 down about 2 inches
and no you dont need the struts, but your OEM struts will wear out faster and i had a good deal on them, so i guess ill wait for my rear struts to blow! hahah

nice. I just picked up some local lowering springs for my pro5. i thought they were 1.5" but turns out they at 2"

Cant wait to see yours done

Heres what i did today :

nothing.
**** winter
**** not having a garage

that is all. :(

Last edited:
oh hi! It was spring break this week for me so I got to work on my car!
remember those wheels? well i got them painted !

all primered up
KmFufaO.jpg

l0saYTv.jpg

Painted matte black /w 500C engine enamel, super strong & resistant without the need for clear!
SNOtUGk.jpg

Baking in the sun!
4msmFSD.jpg

Guys at the shop putting brand new Toyo Khumo tires on my rims! (there goes my tax return..)
F37zaY1.jpg

oudvxVf.jpg

Mounted on the car! Looks sooooooooooooooooo good. I just got back from the car wash since we had snow 2 days ago & it was covered in dirt!
pA87G9H.jpg

8ao4ZTy.jpg

zX3sXHY.jpg

Clearance with the arches is pretty near, would maybe require 5mm spacers in front but no more, ill get a clearer picture later
Sa0tYCA.jpg

Installing the drop tomorrow! I just rented spring compressors at my local Canadian Scam shop
pbWfrOB.jpg

Oh, and dont worry about the rust! I had a can of 22V paint made so i can try bodywork later this summer, I wanna get rid of all the rust on the arches and the doors!
V5AlyyO.jpg

thats it! Ill be back tomorrow with pictures of the install!

Your car looks great, and it's come a long way since you first got it. Keep up the good work, and keep those pictures coming!

Hi,
got the very same protege 5 last january and I live in montreal studying at uni. So far I did the frond brakes including rebuilding the calipers, timing belt and the 2 other belts, switch to fake black leather seat trim (which looks great, highly recommend it if you can find some in good shape at the scrapyard) and just finished a front bearing today (all this outside through the winter). Also did a big fight against rust on the underbody, brushed off as much rust as I could and fully coated with Fluid Film (amazing stuff!). I have yet to attack the rust on rear quarter panels. I'm thinking the driver side will need to be cut and weld a new panel, passenger side could be saved with a bit of bondo.

What are you planning to do with the rust?
and how's is the paint you bought matching up with the original?

Hi,
got the very same protege 5 last january and I live in montreal studying at uni. So far I did the frond brakes including rebuilding the calipers, timing belt and the 2 other belts, switch to fake black leather seat trim (which looks great, highly recommend it if you can find some in good shape at the scrapyard) and just finished a front bearing today (all this outside through the winter). Also did a big fight against rust on the underbody, brushed off as much rust as I could and fully coated with Fluid Film (amazing stuff!). I have yet to attack the rust on rear quarter panels. I'm thinking the driver side will need to be cut and weld a new panel, passenger side could be saved with a bit of bondo.

Howdy fellow montrealer!
Well my car has been on jackstands for a week now... alot of problems came in my way when installing the new struts & springs.. fought the endlinks, ended up having to cut them, bought new endlinks, wrong size, couldnt work half the days because of the freezing weather outside.. Its coming along nice now, only thing in my way now is a stuck suspension bolt that wont get hammered out, ill borrow a friends impact haha

I need to do more research on the body part of the job, but basically it is just rubbing back to bare metal with an angle grinder & special disk, body filler, lots of sanding, antirust primer, primer, then your paint! I bought a can of the stuff already to paint my MSP lip and it matched pretty neatly, I have no doubt about it... Ill post more pictures when the whole thing is done!

Hi,

Fluid film is great stuff for the inside of doors and other places where it's not directly exposed to the elements (it tends to wash off pretty quick). For the underside of the car, get yourself a big 4L bucket of this stuff and brush on a nice thick coat. It lasts very long and works pretty well. Don't be lazy and buy the spray-on version, it's even more of a pain to work with (getting that s*** out of your hair/skin is not fun) and you'll never get as thick of a coat. You'll use about 3/4 of the 4L bucket to do the underside of a P5 :)

Howdy fellow montrealer!
Well my car has been on jackstands for a week now... alot of problems came in my way when installing the new struts & springs.. fought the endlinks, ended up having to cut them, bought new endlinks, wrong size, couldnt work half the days because of the freezing weather outside.. Its coming along nice now, only thing in my way now is a stuck suspension bolt that wont get hammered out, ill borrow a friends impact haha

I need to do more research on the body part of the job, but basically it is just rubbing back to bare metal with an angle grinder & special disk, body filler, lots of sanding, antirust primer, primer, then your paint! I bought a can of the stuff already to paint my MSP lip and it matched pretty neatly, I have no doubt about it... Ill post more pictures when the whole thing is done!

For that stuck suspension bolt, have you tried periodically soaking it with something like PB Blaster? I've had very good luck with that product in the past.

Regarding doing bodywork please be careful, once you grind down to bare metal you need to coat the metal with a "rust converter" product and then some primer before you start with the body filler. Otherwise your work will look good for 4-5 months and then it'll start rusting through again. Doing bodywork properly is pretty difficult and even after doing it a few times, I still don't have great results. Rust is a b****...

Back