Front/Rear "spoilers/lips".

fxpthl

My 97 doesn't have either end equiped with one of these vinyl/plastic lips. I think they look great and I'm curious to hear of anyone's experiences purchasing, installing and differences, if any, they made to the cars handling or overall performance.

They're called R package front and rear lips. The "R Package" was a $1500 option in 94-97 that could only be added to base level Miatas and it included alloy wheels, LSD, the front/rear skirts, and the sport suspension. They are desirable cars nowadays :)
s8s4d5d6s6s.jpg

I don't have one yet, but I've ridden in and driven cars that have them. It is commonly accepted that the rear one does absolutely nothing. However, there is a debate going on whether or not the front one is function and how much so if it is. I think that it provides some high speed stability and most people think that it increases air flow to the brakes. It has to be true otherwise you wouldn't see them on every single SM :) On top of that Mazda didn't normally just do things for looks with the Miata so I'm inclined to say it is effective simply based on that.

In any case, if nothing else they look awesome. You can get an OE one from Mazda Motorsports for around $200 + shipping. Mazda no longer makes the rear. RSpeed has the front rear for $280 + shipping. I've read numerous people say that the RSpeed replicas are just as good as OE and attach in the same exact way.

If you like the R package front lip check out the Track Dog splitter that attaches to the R package front lip. (2thumbs)

Last edited:
Any good links for the OEM or OEM style trunk lid spoiler?

Not sure on that one. Mazda doesn't make them anymore so OEM would have to be a used one and I'm not sure about OEM style aftermarket. Planet-Miata has a used one listed on their website right now.

I'd go to eBay for the rear spoiler. Just type it in and pick your poison. I just wish someone would make a knock-off MSM type for NBs.

Back