alright - here goes. KL-P5-take2

Well, I was just copying Justin (Ilukeinprotege). He helped me a TON and was always helping to others posting info and sharing.

Regardless, glad this project is continuing and I can hear/see what I wish I finished. Keep up the great work, buddy!

Thanks Evan - That ride is still an option. I want to actually go for a drive on Mid Ohio one of these days.

Bring your P6 and come on up! You're more than welcome to stay at my house (1.5 hours from Mid-Ohio) and I'll have a clean garage space for ya. haha

(Sorry for the build thread off topic chatter)

Bring your P6 and come on up! You're more than welcome to stay at my house (1.5 hours from Mid-Ohio) and I'll have a clean garage space for ya. haha

(Sorry for the build thread off topic chatter)

Woah Woah Woah thats my spot.. Something about the colors under hood remind me of another car.

lol! Well, first come first serve since you're probably both driving the same super long distance.

I've searched - no results for your search terms.

Also viewed a few other forums' information regarding stock fuel lines and their ability to support the use of E85 Ethanol. Most systems tested have been ok, unless it's an ancient copper/brass fuel line...... then it needs to be updated circa 1970 anyways......

My question to the boosted p5'ers and msp'ers - anyone using your stock fuel lines with E85 and having no issues? I know I'll need a larger pump (got a really nice in-tank unit otw <340 lph!>), change the filter a few times after initially changing it over, and ensure all my parts are tight - but are there anymore gotchas out there with our fuelsystems and the ability to make the switch? Or is this really just a matter of tossing that Walbro in, changing to a hi-flo filter, and filling it up? (after a tune ofcourse...)
-----------
Update on the build:
Engine is done! Balanced, blueprinted with new fully forged rotating assembly (....again). Houston Engine & Rebalancing had to add a sum of "heavy metal" to the crank due to the heavier rod/piston assemblies (they're roughly twice the weight....).

Also redrilled/enlarged oil galleys in the block, drilled oiling reliefs in all bearing surfaces, shimmed oil pump (up from 35 psi @ idle to about 60'ish @ idle), Megasquirt II installed and wired in, Wiring ready to be tucked, bay painted/polished.

We stab the engine/trans back in this weekend. Wire it all up. Get all fuel, electrical, vacuum, charge/intake piping, and exhaust done.

Now you can see why I'm asking about e85...... I think it'd make one helluva difference - plus if I'm going to do this..... I need to plan to do it now. Add that new Meth Injection kit to the mix........well.....you get the point. 16 psi + 23-26* advanced timing + 9.5:1 cR + a colder plug for blowout prevention...... should make a really nice combo in my lil v6-powered RiceWagon.

Hopefully the trans doesn't disagree.....lol.

Love your build!

I don't run straight E85 but I have run a 50/50 mix of 91/E85 on my MSP for about the past 1.5 years without issue. I started at 1/3 E85 2/3 91 but mixing was a pain so I went to 50/50 after a few months (also I had slight knock on my J&S Safeguard with that mixture.) At 11 psi (stock turbo) with the 50/50 mix I ran out of injector above 5k rpm. I installed some wrx 440's (stock fuel pump still) and everything is running great now except for the stock diff. The diff decided to shear because that's what MSP diffs do.

GL

Tomorrow is the big day. I put the fire to her and see what all this has been about.

I went today and conquered.

New Fuel pump tested and checked good (340 lph unit - should be good for any boost level I toss at this engine)
All wiring connected to run the engine, fp, starter circuit, charging circuit, and body electrical
Radiator fans connected (2 new SPAL fans)
filled with oil, rad fluid
spark plug leads connected and routed
Injector harness completed and connected - checked for connectivity - good stuff (330cc injectors compared to the 220 units regularly installed)
gauges all connected in their new A-pillar home (oil pressure, boost, and Innovative MTX-L Wideband gauge/controller)

It's all connected and ready to rock! I do still need a 215/35ZR18 tire and an inspection sticker to feel better about driving it on the public roads...

Update tomorrow!

ok - she runs! she drives! The tune needs alot of work, but for the most part - it's a solid base tune.

Made the 30 mile drive from my house to Royal Purple Raceway Sunday morning to take her to Import Faceoff 2014. We won Best Team Rep (38 show entries!), Best domestic truck (weird... I thought this was an import show...lol), the Sound competition (158.4 db from a Honda Accord Sedan with 4-15's and 12000 Watts of amps!), and finally the Burnout Contest (94 Lexus LS400 4.0 V8 turbo - only competitor that blew his tires off).

I drove with the team, bringing up the rear due to it smoking. Speaking of smoking - I'm wondering what's causing it. The turbo oil line is the same as previous, new drain line, same turbo, same heads w/ new cams, same rings and pistons (never seated them on previous build - only lasted about 10 mins before eating a bearing). I'm stumped. On accel - it eats up the road! Smokes blue and AFR's are in the 11's (rich). On decel - as soon as I let off the gas - it smokes gray/white and ALOT.

Anyone got ideas as to the culprit? Valve seals? turbo oil seal? rings? pcv?

Been working on the tuning alot the past few days. Finally got the cells spread out to 220kpa (17.4 psi boost) level and VE/Fuel/Ignition Timing/AFR tables all dialed-in manually. Now - time to let Autotune smooth everything out.

It pulls like a TRAIN now on 16 psi. My only worries are a little smoking still (turbo, valves, rings) and the transmission. I have a case saver/trans saver to reduce the amount of case flex, but I'm more worried about the damn gears stripping now. Guess only time will tell, eh?

I'll get a few videos of pulls soon. Need to invest in a GoPro! Dyno session coming soon too!

Update - smoking stopped! I think I just needed to seat the rings, because it's running hella better and no smoke (very light fueling fumes on hard accel is normal).

Now to get the tune flattened-out with the MS (less peaky and smoother cell transition). Then - finish the exhaust build-up (going full 3" soon).

Long overdue update - worked out more bugs and smoothed out the tune with the Megasquirt. Runs real nice now - like NA out of boost (perfect drivability) and like apesh!t in boost.... it's sketchy w/ the torque steer!

made the call to Mark, a friend of mine w/ a shop that just setup his dyno. Dynojet was already padded down w/ 15% correction - and I did this on 11-12 psi:

Not bad for a 700 dollar rebuild, I'd say.

I did happen to try a 19 psi run @ 24-25* timing, but around 5500 rpm the IC had a coupler that said FUUUUU and let loose.

I still haven't put the bumpercover/lip back on the car - it's still ooooogly.

Ain't nobody got time for that..

Back