alright - here goes. KL-P5-take2

mid-stream in the build here - crank is being balanced as we speak at Houston Engine and Rebalancing.

Question - I have come up on just a bit of luck in finding a set of nice wheels for the car. I've always wanted something wide, not too blingy, but no more black either. I found a set of 17x9 STR wheels that are a raw Machined wheel with a polished 3.5" lip. I'd be willing to bet - they'd look the tits!

Now my question is how to massage 17x9 wheels @ 20 offset underneath in an orderly fashion without making this hellafail?

E-85; making the switch I hope

I've searched - no results for your search terms.

Also viewed a few other forums' information regarding stock fuel lines and their ability to support the use of E85 Ethanol. Most systems tested have been ok, unless it's an ancient copper/brass fuel line...... then it needs to be updated circa 1970 anyways......

My question to the boosted p5'ers and msp'ers - anyone using your stock fuel lines with E85 and having no issues? I know I'll need a larger pump (got a really nice in-tank unit otw <340 lph!>), change the filter a few times after initially changing it over, and ensure all my parts are tight - but are there anymore gotchas out there with our fuelsystems and the ability to make the switch? Or is this really just a matter of tossing that Walbro in, changing to a hi-flo filter, and filling it up? (after a tune ofcourse...)
-----------
Update on the build:
Engine is done! Balanced, blueprinted with new fully forged rotating assembly (....again). Houston Engine & Rebalancing had to add a sum of "heavy metal" to the crank due to the heavier rod/piston assemblies (they're roughly twice the weight....).

Also redrilled/enlarged oil galleys in the block, drilled oiling reliefs in all bearing surfaces, shimmed oil pump (up from 35 psi @ idle to about 60'ish @ idle), Megasquirt II installed and wired in, Wiring ready to be tucked, bay painted/polished.

We stab the engine/trans back in this weekend. Wire it all up. Get all fuel, electrical, vacuum, charge/intake piping, and exhaust done.

Now you can see why I'm asking about e85...... I think it'd make one helluva difference - plus if I'm going to do this..... I need to plan to do it now. Add that new Meth Injection kit to the mix........well.....you get the point. 16 psi + 23-26* advanced timing + 9.5:1 cR + a colder plug for blowout prevention...... should make a really nice combo in my lil v6-powered RiceWagon.

Hopefully the trans doesn't disagree.....lol.

Last edited:
Gauge pods - let's talk about this.

What ya'll think? A-Pillar, center mounted in the console, or in a top-mount in a pod that'll hold 3 on top of the dash?

I want classy - not overly-ricey.

Update:

It's all in the car! Just need to finish before Import FaceOff on the 27th.

Engine - check
trans - check
turbo piping and all associated "stuff" - check.

All that's left is drop the radiator in it (hook that up ofcourse), battery tray, and lastly - the wiring. Should be a breeze considering I've gone from 70'ish wires down to 19.

next update will be when I'm completely finished and tuning it to run E85 and 16 psi..... should be fun. :)

gauges IMO center console so that not everyone sees them on the A-pillar and thinks anything is different under the hood. I have mine mounted where the center HVAC grills used to be and the are great and easy to look at while driving.

I've got them mounted now above the radio in a DIY/homemade plate of sorts. Lost my pocket, but meh.... worth it imho.

And Evan.... no jellies are necessary. If you're ever down in this neck-o-the-woods (Houston), you gotta give me a holler. I'd be delighted to take you for a run in her - being that you spurred me into doing this whole thing......yeah......this is YOUR fault! (spin)

Anyone with a better drawing of how the fuel pump is wired into the car system?

I've gutted the wiring and have my FP relay clicking now (powering on), but apparently I'm missing a wire that goes to the Fuel pump directly to make it power-up.

Any updates? There's so much info and epicness in this thread, took me a day to read it from top to bottom! Fan-Freaking-Tastitc

wow.... been awhile - thanks for the "elbow".

Well - the motor is ready to be built. Got the block, heads, and crank back from the machinist. Jet washed, tanked, and polished.

Also - a bit of luck fell in my lap lately. The IRS finally figured out the mess with my identity theft from 4 years ago - which they've been keeping my tax returns for the past 4 years - so I got it all back. Bought just about every bell and whistle I could think of to make this a clean install and clean up the interior a bit too. Still need a set of 16's to mount slicks to, but that'll come in good time.

*I've moved my gauges to an a-pillar cluster.
*building a carputer that's double-din. It'll run my Tunerstudio for my Megasquirt, movies, wifi, itunes, etc, etc..... should be fun.
*Bought an Aeromotive 340LPH Stealth Fuel pump
*Got a new Perrin Coolant overflow canister
*got an AWR driver-side trans mount - 90 duro
*got SLS passenger engine mount (v2) 88 duro
*new afpr
*new colt tri-flow turbo grind cams for the KL
*new intake piping kit to clean-up/complete my previous intake piping attempt
*loads of new fittings, t-bolts, couplers, an Amsoil air filter
*MSP lip (Thanks Matt!) from someone's old spicy MSP (it's stickerbombed to hell.... I think I'll keep it that way)

I'm sure there's tons leftover that I'm not thinking of, but I've dropped just about 1200 bucks in "stuff" the past few days. It's all here and ready to rock.

Now to build it. I'm planning on building this one a bit different than I did previously - taking my time - and building it right. No corner-cutting. Yes, IFO (Import FaceOff) is Feb 9th, but I think I'll have enough time to make it.

Should make approx 380+ on 12 psi with the way these heads have been hogged out, the cams, tuning, and c16. I can only imagine what 16 psi is gonna do... that's 400+ to the wheels.... I sure hope the transmission gods smile on me. :)

finally some progress - got the engine in the car after building it up. Tomorrow - go find a replacement water neck as I broke mine today dropping the crossover tube on the ground. If I can find the piece I need - I'll possibly be able to start this mf'r tomorrow! Should be FUN!

Thanks - as soon as I get around - I'm heading to LKQ (Salvage yard) to pull that water neck so I can do some more work on it.

yessir - IFO Feb 9th, at Baytown's own Royal Purple Raceway.

I'll be out on the westside between Katy/Houston for TX2K14. Got a few friends that will be out there romping in their monsters.

It's been a jelluva journey - that's for sure. But I couldn't have done it if it weren't for pioneers in this swap, like Ilukeinprotege, Evan, and a few others that name's elude me at this moment in time.

Got some more work done today:

What's left?

oil/filter
injector wiring
shift linkage
axles
various odd's and inn's

Oh you... :)

Looking good and can't wait to hear this beast tear it up! You're doing a great job, man.

although - I do miss the updates from LadyHands. I remember when "his" project KL-P5 was new and the hot-topic around here!

Back